1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favorite Thai Food

Discussion in 'Wining & Dining in Thailand' started by bird, 22 Jan 2011.

1. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:oops

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

One of my favourites of the last 4 or so years is the dish Khua Kling (คั่วกลิ้ง), a southern dish that you have to hunt for in my home town. Spicier the better too.
    Also 7 11 have just introduced Khua Kling with rice at 40 baht ...okay not as good as some of the restaurants I eat this dish at but not too shabby either ....good for a late night fix.

3. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

I still remember the first time I tucked into a full on Issan meal of gai yang, laab, nam tok, som dum and sticky rice 35 years ago in Khon Kaen; have loved Issan food ever since.

Other than that, I have never been a great fan of tom yum, but am rather partial to tom kha gai, and mussamn.

Back home I have often cooked Thai food when entertaining. My mussaman always goes down well, as does nua dat deo.

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

One of my favorite snacks are ripe mangoes with sticky rice, also called : " Mangmuang Khao Niau."

It comes with a nice coconut milk...oh god gotta stop, I'm soo hungry that I could eat a horse, need to run, wife's waiting...shopping time. ( One of my least liked activities)

Mango on Coconut  Sticky Rice.jpg

5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Do people in Thailand eat horse? People in The Netherlands do!

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

I'm sure people here eat horses, eventually the tiny jockeys are immediately eaten alive by professional bar girls....

I'm from a town of about 30,000 people and even now there's the weekly horse market where you can find some delicious sausage/ meat.

Considering that the urine is going through the whole meat, not the right taste for everybody.

7. Fatty

Fatty Member

A good Lharb Moo always went down well. Not many places make a good one, but the ones that charged about 100+ baht instead of 50B for it (back in 2014, when I was last there) usually rustled up a good one.

8. sirchai

What about this one? Just found it near my car and showed it the way into our garbage bin.

It was about 30 cm long and i assume enough poison to kill our dogs. They always freak out when they see such a thingy and i really hate them. Easy to get rid of them without killing them is to take a stick and they'll hold on to it..wussh in the neighbor's garden..

P.S. Did anybody watch the "human centipede"? A real sick movie.

Tastes good with still alive prawns, you know the tiny little ones who jump out of your mouth.....

But I prefer sticky rice and overripe mangoes with coconut milk and nuts....mmmmmm

20160905_181339.jpg

20160618_191018.jpg

9. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

.....? Eh? Live prawns with centipede? Well whatever floats yer boat in baanok or have you totally lost me or yourself?

BTW: Tap em on the back and they curl up into a ring ...then throw them into your favourite neighbour's garden.

professeur likes this.
  10. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

That's not a centipede but a millipede. They don't bite but rather secrete a toxin that is irritating. Most Thais seem to fear them for some reason though.

11. sirchai

Our dogs always freak out when one shows up, so they have to be a sort of dangerous.

A toxin that is irritating?

12. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you Sirchai on your reasoning. My dogs freak out at the mother in law, small soft toys, rain, distant fireworks, small children. All of which proves that my dog's reaction is linked to danger.

As for favourite food, love going to the market and just taking the lucky dip at the food vendors.