1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a curriculum for a school and some questions...

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 3 Nov 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sawasdee khrap, :thai wai

It was made clear that they're still waiting for a curriculum for my school. It's my own fault because I did tell them that I would write one when I started but under completely different circumstances.

At this time, I didn't know that all promises were basically lies. I've got a few questions and would deeply appreciate some honest answers. Thanks, a lot in advance.

1. My curriculum will, of course, be based on the newest Thai curriculum. I'll only add some additional stuff for the EP section. Who'll finally approve the curriculum, the local educational area, or the MoE in Bangkok?

2. The school is a smaller "Anuban" from Kindergarten to M.3 with an EP with three classes now, that I started 2.5 years ago. For M.1 - M.3, I'll only use the already given frame of knowledge from the Thai curriculum.

Will I have to outline the whole EP curriculum from P.1 to P.6, or would it be enough to cover grade one to three?

3. They never thought about teaching computer in English and out grade three EP students know absolutely nothing about computer soft or hardware.

they did the whole time was drawing some monsters, fancy houses and other rubbish using paint, taught by a youngish Thai who doesn’t know much about technology himself. Is computer technology a mandatory subject for an EP?

4. I currently teach English, math, and science. Would that be enough to receive the needed documents approved by the educational area office?

Or what else is needed to get the approval?

5. Thanks for any useful comments, really deeply appreciated. :go2

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

1) your local admin at the school is responsible for local implementation of the curriculum. The school is obligated to follow the national Thai curriculum by law.

2) That would depend on the local admin.

3) It is part of the larger "tech" section of the curriculum with no clearly defined learning outcomes or measurement indicators.

4) Your school admin has to grease some wheels. If local education office likes your school then it is a rubber stamp. If they do not then it won't happen regardless of what you do. Approval has nothing to do with what you write. Nobody at the local education office can read it anyway. You could submit a copy of the King George Version of the bible and they wouldn't know the difference.

Ajarn P. Paul and sirchai like this.
  3. sirchai

Thanks, the school admin and I have a pretty good relationship with them. The whole office wanted a seminar for all employees that went very well. The vice director is on our side which might make it easy.

Edgar Alan Poe comes to mind......

Thanks.

4. ttompatz

But POE doesn't have references for each chapter and verse (Mark chapter 3, verse 14) ....
    A curriculum usually will or will have reference points for key objectives and desired learning outcomes.

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

which are then adapted or ignored to a large extent when the classroom door is closed

marcusb, Ajarn P. Paul and sirchai like this.
  6. sirchai

I assume that they want to see a curriculum that covers P.1 to P.6, even when we've just started with grade three this year.

That would definitely give me work for a few weeks and nobody would even say thank you for it.

I might just forget about it. Exactly the way how they forget important things for me.

But I gave my word and give it to them as a Christmas present. Or not. Or both.

7. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

So, why this thread then?

It seems your threads are looking for advice, companionship and comfort but each time you've already set your mind when starting the threads.

8. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

keep positive, although those in authority may not see the benefit, just remember who does. Keep at it and good luck

sirchai likes this.
  9. sirchai

I've already started two weeks ago and was looking for advice.

10. sirchai

I'd like to write the curriculum up to grade six, including science and math. Does anybody know if computer technology or any other subjects should be a part of the curriculum in an EP set up?

Is anybody currently using the Let's Go work and student books for English, math and science?

I've got grade one to three covered and would deeply appreciate if somebody could give me the content of grade four to six books in these three subjects.

It would be great to have the content ( please see attached file from the grade two math book) that I can use my imagination to put it together to something that makes sense.

I have to produce a good quality curriculum where my current and future colleagues have to follow what the kids should know at a certain age/grade. Unfortunately, do my two colleagues teach plenty of unnecessary stuff, excluding the most important part which seems to be speaking in English.

Thanks a lot in advance for any useful information. I'm basically designing one that covers the ordinary classes and will have to add some more specific details for the P.1 - P.6 EP Programme.

The program is currently not running under EP program, it still has the fancy name "Special Program- English)

I've checked all the bookstores in my area but no chance to buy some English, math and science books for grade four, five and six.

Cheers.- :thai wai:thai wai

Contents math P 2.jpg

11. ttompatz

Contact the publishers.
    They will give you access to full, soft copies of the books you seek so you can have a look at them.

If you promise to work with them they will send the school a set of hard copies for evaluation purposes as well as have the rep stop by with other, similar or related book series for your too look at and consider.

OUP and Cambridge are usually pretty good about it. Pearson reps are a bit hesitant to take a trip up-county. I don't like them.

sirchai and Gor Blimey Guvnur! like this.
  12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

^ Good idea.

At my school we have had the OUP reps around twice and yes they furnished us with the complete range for English books 1 to 6 (Teachers book+CD, Student book+CD, Workbook) plus a bunch of readers too all for free.

They want the business so ttompatz's idea is the best if you cannot source this material locally.

sirchai likes this.
  13. sirchai

Thanks a lot. That's really the best possible way to get all done plus having all the CD's for the books that usually never make it to the classroom(s).

Your post is really deeply appreciated. Cheers.-