1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WP on a non o rather than non b

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by tiredtony, 28 Oct 2016.

1. tiredtony

tiredtony Thread Starter Well-Known Member

My new school say its much easier, as in no trips to the labour department and easier to get the visa in the first place in Laos. True or not?
    Can anyone fill me in with the differences in procedure getting a wp using a Non o visa rather than non b?

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

There's no difference for Labour. In the WP.1 (initial work permit), Labour states the following -
    The same applies to WP.5 (renewal).

The things which make differences for Labour, are the job description and the type of organisation you're working for.

3. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Correct.

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

The laws changed about six years ago when they decided that you may work on a Non-O ( being married to a Thai citizen). The trips to the labor department follow after getting the visa.

Do they really want you to get a work permit? ( Reading your post, no trips to the DoL..)

If you don't have a work permit, you can't have/apply for SS and I'm certain that this is a very important part of the game.

If you continue until you're really old, you'll also get a pension from the office, or cash what both parties have paid in.

5. tiredtony

They will do a work permit. She said it's really easy on a non o.

6. sirchai

"They" always includes you as well. They might want to give you the title of being a trainer, curriculum consultant, or similar, or what's allowed in your province.

However it goes, best of luck from Sisaket. Even if they deduct 750 baht per month, the school has to pay the same amount. And the SS only comes with benefits for you.

Once you're my age ( 55+) you can go there and take all out what both parties have paid in, or get a little pension when you're 60 +. Cheers.

7. Stamp

Well, good on you then, TT. However, I don't have any evidence that such would be true.

sirchai likes this.
  8. sirchai

It's only easier to get a Non-O ( right now only in Sawannakhet without the financial proof, by just showing the original marriage certificate and copy of wife's ID).

But the procedure(s) for receiving a work permit, including the TCT' s document isn't different to having a Non-B.

9. tiredtony

But a language school acting as an agent for the school doesn't need the TCT's document. Right?

10. Stamp

That's right.

11. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

I'm not the only one here who has done a WP on an "O"
    It is not the usual way.
    Even at immigration, one official questioned extending my O with a WP and asked why I wasn't on a B. Another official had to confirm that it was okay.
    I was then asked to "prove my marriage" before proceeding.

My understanding is that schools prefer a teacher to get a tourist visa and then convert it. In case of an error in paperwork, one doesn't need to go back to Lao or Malaysia.

I prefer the O to a B so I don't have to scurry out of the Kingdom when I leave the school.

The big drawback is that with a B you don't need a minimum of 40K per month. With an O, I did.

sirchai likes this.
  12. tiredtony

This is an O based on my kids..my income is 40K so who knows which is the best way. It seems if you have kids here they love you. :-)

13. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

So given this .....

And that.....

I reckon you will be fine Tony. Yes there are teachers on "O's" so just apply given the above. Good luck and report back if all tickety-boo.

tiredtony likes this.
  14. sirchai

But you can still apply for a Non-O in Sawannakhet without financial proof. The original marriage certificate and a copy of wifey's ID are enough. Let's hope it stays like that.

Good luck, Toni. There's always a way around if it doesn't work out.

15. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

I was talking about extending the initial 90 day visa to one year.

My wife has heard that. She's eager to adopt a relative or find a surrogate. Do you have any examples as to how this "love" manifests itself?