1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WP cancellation

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by kiwidrew, 26 Aug 2016.

1. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Thread Starter Active Member

I have been offered a really good job in another school. If I change jobs and the old school cancels my work permit, can I continue working with the Non B visa that i currently have?

I know that isn't the right thing to do but many I have met have done this already. Furthermore when my last WP expired I still had 4 months left on my visa and the Thais didnt renew until almost the last day of the visa.

Is this a risky thing to do?

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Do you have a Non B visa or an extension of stay based on employment?

3. kiwidrew

Yes i have a non b and wp provided by my current school

4. kiwidrew

The problem is that the school I want to work for is run by Chinese and they don't employ anyone to do visa paperwork and the current teachers they have employed there are all retirees and look after their own visas, hence they don't wish to get involved in the intricacies of the Thai Immigration system.

5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure? A non-immigrant B visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days while an extension of stay based on employment (Reason of Necessity 2.6 or 2.7) can be valid for up to 1 year. Anyways, with a non B visa you can switch as many times as you want within those 90 days. You can't do that with an extension of stay based on employment. In that case, when employment ceases, you're required to cancel the work permit. The extension of stay also becomes void. In that case you have to go to a Thai Embassy or Consulate to apply for a new non-immigrant B visa. This all unless you're married to a Thai national. In that case you could change your existing extension of stay into an extension of stay based on visiting the spouse (Reason of Necessity 2.24).

6. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

I left my old job on the last day of April. My work permit was valid until July 14 and my visa until July 29. I did not cancel either and started my new job on May 17. I went on a visa run to Cambodia on July 29 and came back with a Tourist Visa. I got an non B valid for 3 months 2 weeks later in Bangkok and my work permit last Monday.
    I have had to get letters from my old company stating that they canceled both my visa and work permit even though they date expired and I had to cancel the already expired work permit! The school also had to put my offical starting date as August 1.
    I have been told that the paper work involved in applying for work permits has increased and requirements can change daily.r