1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you use social media?

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Clown, 27 Nov 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

The topic was "Voice Mail - leaving a message".

The were asked to say who is calling, then leave a call back number. etc.

They have the option to use FB Messenger or Skype.

After some thought, I would rather give up some privacy to get them to engage in conversation. Than to accept that most won't be speaking at all that day.

My dream has been to get them to lose their inhibitions, their fear.

What's your take on this?

1.jpg

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Conversation on FB Messenger would be written while Skype would involve oral skills, n'est-ce pas? Which area do you want them to practice? Both? I think using social media is a good idea: why not work up an exercise or two using their Line accounts? That could be built up to include dialog construction and pair work practice in class. Eventually, of course, you'll have to work in a live sequence with a "Hello Kitty" surrogate...the possibilities are endless.

3. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

when getting them to talk, it needs to be a meaningful conversation. have them discuss an arrangement of chairs in class. they can negotiate for who sits in the first row and who is in the second.

they are all in a line in the pic lol...so tell them there needs to be two rows.

the first row needs to come five minutes early to class...but can leave 5 min early when done. second row can come 5 min late and leave late (or even 10 minutes). ....so there is a consequence to this tal- it's not 'just talk'. and have them work it out on social media. record the dialogues and work on the grammar of asking questions and work with the negotiations. get them to make sort concise questions and responses. the grammar could be easy, but it still needs to be specific.

the final negotiation will result in next week...making these seating arrangements- or even for just one day the next week. wala- the talk resulted in something.

i dont know if it would be feasable coming a few minutes early or late, but you get the point. some thing that matters in their classroom interaction. just remember to find a way to focus on the language so thats it's not just a dance of words, floating out there in space.

I would like to come to class early becuase_______. Is it ok that I do that?
    Sure. Let's ask Ploy if its ok....

---sometimes you need to allow them the space to figure it all out. getting them to arrange the seats is something they can own and take a stake in. as such, it's decent fodder for communicative acts of asking and negotiating.

Stamp likes this.