1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you like to teach something else than ESL?

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by kruhjoe, 11 Jun 2016.

1. kruhjoe

kruhjoe Thread Starter Well-Known Member

It's from top to bottom of the job ads page of ajarn.com: Jobs | Teaching English in Thailand

From 23rd May to 12th June 2016.

Stamp likes this.
  2. kruhjoe

That was probably for the other school they own, and for a Filipino teacher. (Probably part-time PE or ESL.)

3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies, khrujoe and Stamp! :)

4. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

So yeah..40k is the norm then.
    14 years here i do have some idea whats going on. i know an agency in Minburi that can't fill 40k, 18 period gov positions.

5. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Jobs on ajarn.com are 20 days or less. At day 21 they are removed (paid for or free ads - makes no difference).

6. kruhjoe

So the conclusion is, answering the question of the thread finally, that nobody wants to teach the aforementioned subjects, especially not for this amount of money and definitely not under these circumstances. Well, that's something to think about, too. Thank you.

7. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is the subject so much as the money. Most people on this forum have been in Thailand for a while so they will be earning more than 35k because of annual increases etc.

8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Probably more accurate and to the point... teachers who are qualified to teach those (IGCSE) subjects already earn (15%) more as basic EFL teachers and much (50-250%) more as subject matter teachers.

So yea, paraphrasing your statement, 'Qualified teacher applicants are unlikely to move upcountry (a minus for most) to a position with higher expectations and workload (neutral to minus) that is also lower paying (minus again).' Minus, minus, minus usually does not equal high numbers of qualified applicants.

Good luck.

Wangsuda, kruhjoe and tiredtony like this.
  9. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

Every job has to have something good about it, otherwise it's not a good job. See how many applicants you get if you offer 50K a month, or the job involves teaching a bunch of post graduate office girls every day.

10. kruhjoe

OK, I talked to the director, he talked to the manager, and then the manager said "OK, bump it up to 40 then". Easy like that...

bahn_farang likes this.
  11. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Add another 35k and I'll consider it :grinningdevil I even come complete with all the papers and police clearances that the Thais love so much! :yes:smiling

kruhjoe likes this.
  12. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Plus some of us are comfy where we are. Need to offer more for someone to uproot themselves into the big unknown. :P

kruhjoe and sirchai like this.
  13. kruhjoe

I know it still does not sound like much of an achievement, but anyway thanks to all TTA members who contributed to this discussion, which directly or indirectly or anyhow led to this little realization. So now the ad goes as 35-40K, with the conditions of "qualifications and experience". It still sounds like "here's nothing, hold it tight", but anyway we're a step forward already... Thank you! :thai wai

Btw, it's not 60K yet, so the beer taps shall not be open, but anyway whenever you happen to be in Phitsanulok, just pop in for a pint or so... :hilarious

Last edited: 13 Jun 2016
    Wangsuda likes this.
  14. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

And our students have to drink milk..........:huh

kruhjoe likes this.
  15. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I like how this website enables teachers to cut to the chase. The salary seems low.