1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-O working without a work permit

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by gungchang, 15 May 2015.

1. gungchang

gungchang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

If one works without a work permit and is found out by immigration, what happens?

I hear that you have 72 hours to leave the kingdom.

What else?

Do you just make your next border run early? Or is your nice expensive O visa revoked? Are you banned from returning for a prescribed length of time?

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Often the above is the case ...time to leave. As for the visa, afaik it is revoked ..so start again. Worst case scenario ... imprisonment but i have'nt heard of that for say a decade. However, you and many many others do this in LOS .... try not to worry too much Gung, but I must add that it's a shame that you cannot get a WP ...you are one of the few, a full TL guy. Good luck GC.

gungchang likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

so where are you working?

4. gungchang

I'll decide Tuesday night.
    Front runners are Lampang and Chaiyaphum.

I've been to Chaiyaphum and Petchachabun and Lampang, so I have some idea what I'm getting into.

Neither here nor there, but the airport that serves the first two cities consists of three pyramids. It's very very cool and quite unlike other airports in Thailand. The Bangkok Airways airports at Samui and Sukothai are also different, but the pyramids are unique.

Chaiyaphum is really outside of town. Even within the context of "the middle of nowhere," the school is in the middle of nowhere (Nongbuadaeng). But, it's close enough to Mae Sot to make a one-day border run and it's close enough to Bangkok to scurry back and forth for, say, papers from China.

The agent is comfortable with the idea that I might be a one-term only teacher as long as I give notice. She would be thrilled to fill this spot. It pays 36,000. The agency would deliver me and the school would help find us a room nearby. My wife is on board with this because we wouldn't be able to spend money as easily.

The same agency has a spot in Rangsit. I could rent a room and it would be convenient. I could commute, but OMG I'd be getting up early to catch the van from Central Lad Prao or Jatujak MRT to Future Park and I'd still have to get to the school.

Either spot could vanish before I interview in Lampang on Tuesday.

Lampang would require a room, is easily the "nicest" city to live in, or near in my case, and is close to Chiang Mai so we could deal with the PRC consulate there instead of Bangkok. They seem to very nice people and very eager to get a teacher. I would be their first experience with a direct hire. They would do a WP if they could do a WP and that remains to be seen. If a WP cannot be had, I don't think they'd fault me for being a one term teacher. Mandatory retirement in the PRC is 65, and that is quite a draw. Also, I really like the contact person, bless her pointed little head. I'm really confident that she'd be a wonderful person to have in the teacher room or front office.

Dark horses include a substitute teaching spot in Bangkok (variety!!) and 25,000 baht + lodging in Nakhorn Si Tammarat. Members from this forum and another forum are also at schools in need.

I also had an interview at my alma mater, BFITS, with the most amazing woman ever. She sounds like a native speaker from the south in America. I felt like asking her if she was from North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia. In fact, she had lived in southern California, in my home town! I've never met anybody in Asia who had lived in my little residential community home town outside of Los Angeles.

I walked away realizing how poor my interview skills are. She was certainly on top of her game. The position I was there for was off the table, though. The WP issue had come up and working near my wife's home province was no longer an option.

The answer is "I don't know." Maybe I'll be able to discuss this with you Tuesday afternoon.

I do know that we're about to stop our landline and internet. Torrent downloads are about to become a thing of the past and I'll get by tethering to my phone.

I've heard the phrase "We'd like to offer you a position" and I'm getting queezy because the party is over.

This time next week I could be moving.

Waxing philosophic for a moment, I'm aware that if I hadn't somehow not passed Section Two on TCT TKT 8, I wouldn't have discovered the teaching forums.

If I had taken that job at Hor Wang School, I'd have started my highest paying job and most conveniently located job with ultra competent fun to be with coworkers and very capable and friendly students. I'd be dotting the I's and crossing the T's of my working life and preparing for retirement in a couple of years. Instead, I feel like I'm living my remaining years a little more fully, and if the PRC comes through I may have extended my remaining working life a little. Trading security for opportunity is not without risk, though.

What was this thread about?

5. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Angel?

Probably SoCal as she seemed a bit of an airhead.

I had an interview with her last Monday for a maths gig at St God Bother in Silom, 15 hours teaching G7 but there are 3 classes so only 5 hours prep.

They advertised on Sunday, I applied Monday morning & Angel called me back at 7am, to interview at 2pm! Unfortunately at the start of the interview I was told the job at SGB had already gone. Of course there were 2 other jobs available, at the arse ends of Bangkok, 18 hours with 18 hours prep, multiple grade levels & multiple subjects.

I've always heard good things about them but after they pulled the bait & switch they're off my Christmas card list... :yes

Last edited: 16 May 2015
  6. gungchang

Yes.

Are you sure it really wasn't a case of the position being filled?
    In my case, the job was Surin. That's not exactly a "bait" job. What could you possibly switch to? Iraq?

7. GanDoonToonPet

They advertised the job 3 times in as many weeks on ajarn.com, then they suddenly fill the vacancy on Monday morning, after advertising it on Sunday... :confused

In my case, the job was in Silom. The other two were in (near) Rangsit & Nontaburi.

EDIT: Oh look, they've advertised all 3 jobs again this morning... :angry3

Math, Science, History Teachers at Bright Future International Training & Services | Ajarn.com

Last edited: 16 May 2015
  8. GanDoonToonPet

I can't believe it. Here's one of the jobs I was offered...

How can the school be in Nontaburi & Pratum (sic) Thani. Pathum Thani is a province north of Bangkok & Nontaburi is severely underselling the location. The school is right on the banks of the Chao Phraya, just 5km north of me or a few boat stops.

I don't think this Angel will last very long at BFITS. I remember her showing me a badly photocopied map, which I couldn't make head nor tail of, & she couldn't give me any reference point despite me reeling off a list of prominent places in Nontaburi.

What really put me off was having to prep for 18 hours across 3 grade levels & 3 different subjects to boot, plus it's a gov school. :go

Anyway, back on topic...they do pay for the WP, if the job exists. :hilarious

9. gungchang

This just took a twist.

I planned a fact-finding trip to Chaiyaphun by bus.
    (Oh, my aching butt! And this is not the punchline to a ladyboy joke.)

My wife pointed out that we wouldn't rent a room if I chose Rangsit over the provinces. It finally dawned on me that we'd save about 10,000 baht more for China if we stay put.

Then came the real epiphany. I'm taking a 12,000 baht pay cut over the school I left and the school I turned down. If I go to Chaiyaphun, it becomes a 15,000 baht cut because I'll rent a room. It I go to Lampang, and if there is a lower salary, it becomes a 20,000 baht cut.

I could save 25,000 to 30,000 baht for China just by choosing Rangsit over Lampang.

It looks like this might be a replay of Hor Wang where I turn down a wonderful job offer because of a questionable Chinese offer. That hasn't changed. And now, I'll be working without a work permit. I'll gamble all on just the chance of the Chinese visas coming though soon. Whatever happens, it will happen on August 29 or not at all.

Where can I buy a Napoleon costume?

10. aarontendo

aarontendo Active Member

Gawd man, this is rough sorry to hear you're going through all this. The age thing is a beast here, and honestly in so many ways really makes me that much keener to leave this country (and field). Something I've been telling friends is this sorta gig is fine but once the hair starts going gray (such as mine has) then we begin to question the longevity of such a role.

Hope things work out for you soon, I for one certainly hate uncertainty...and understandably everyday the costs are piling up.

11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

The Penalties For Working in Thailand Without a Valid Work Permit (Update 2013). | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

bahn_farang, trnwrk and gungchang like this.
  12. gungchang

Thank you for that. I might have to chance it for a few months, but I won't plan on making a habit of it.

There's another twist to this story which I'll reveal in August.

Stamp likes this.
  13. gungchang

I really need it now. I just learned that the spot in the north is a better deal than the spot in the middle of Syam or the spot outside of Bangkok. The universe changes every other day. I wonder what colors the sun and the sky will be tomorrow?

This time next next week, we'll be in our new home, and we haven't seen it yet. The WP is a ? & those draconian penalties could be a real threat.
    [​IMG]

14. TopCat

TopCat Member

Been away from this forum for a while - for too long actually. Just read this and mention of Nong Bua Daeng caught my eye. I live very close to there and have done for several years. Did you take the job at NBD School, Gungchang? I know there are a few foreign teachers there (I'm not one of them) and just wondered if you were. I know the director at that school as he moved there earlier this school year from the school at which I currently teach.

15. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Well-Known Member

I love when you guys start talking about all the consequences of not following rules here. My school doesn't even get a work permit until you have passed your 90 day probation. If I didn't have my marriage visa, I would have been working with a tourist visa. In the meantime, we have a fellow with no degree and working on an ED visa. Schools seem to do whatever they want.

spidey likes this.