1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worked more than 120 days - was forced to leave the country!

Discussion in 'Employment Contracts' started by Clown, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Had no choice really. Days overstay - - got something stamped into my passport although it was just for 3 days. (In the past, nothing would be stamped but then it only had been for 1 days, due to my stupidity).

Is this the new way to get rid of teachers? Why terminate someone when one can force them out of the country instead?!?

Severance? Your Honor, dereliction of duties, he went AWOL...

I had alerted HR weeks ago to the approaching deadline via e-mail. got a terse reply by my HR contact: "I have no answers. It's not my business". Really? How about passing it on to someone else in the office?

The trouble started when I refused to pay 3,100 Baht which the school had already paid to this HR lady.

Wonder whether they will pay me the 23 of 30 days I've worked?

Oh, never got the contract. Didn't want to appear aggressive, asking about it. And they certainly never provided a copy...

Something tells me it has been all going according to plan

- - - Updated - - -

A lawyer says there is SEVERANCE for both, private and government school jobs alike. could use 30 days' salary plus payment in lieu of notice.

I mean, they have had foreign teachers for years - surely it's the same process for each and every one of them?!?

Am now in a neighboring country. and the communication is quite scary. The owner of schools wants to hire me. but try to get him to confirm even the location! :confused: One town is drab, the other one beautiful. Yesterday, it was town a, this morning it's town a. again. but during the nocturnal job interview, it was all about me coming to town b. (Couldn't verify whether he would pick me up or has contracted me out to this new place).

Let the adventure begin!

- - - Updated - - -

A lawyer says there is SEVERANCE for both, private and government school jobs alike. could use 30 days' salary plus payment in lieu of notice.

I mean, they have had foreign teachers for years - surely it's the same process for each and every one of them?!?

Am now in a neighboring country. and the communication is quite scary. The owner of schools wants to hire me. but try to get him to confirm even the location! :confused: One town is drab, the other one beautiful. Yesterday, it was town a, this morning it's town a. again. but during the nocturnal job interview, it was all about me coming to town b. (Couldn't verify whether he would pick me up or has contracted me out to this new place).

Let the adventure begin!

- - - Updated - - -

Allowing my school to gain financially from their cruel scheme would make me morally responsible for the next teachers' pain and suffering. Am convinced it was a trial run. They are perfecting these schemes JMHO. Hiring folks with lies and all. Ending contracts early to save $$$$s. Why fire someone when all it takes is not to make some documents available Immigration needs?!? :clap:

2. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

I don't think that is grounds for dismissal, I would reckon the Labour law would back up the employee, as it's not his/her fault the school won't provide the correct documents. However, the Thai Labour only gets concerned after at least 1 years employment, anything less and they are not interested.

3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true. But Clown will not be able to get a visa to stay in the country to sue the school for severance pay, will he?

4. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Clown has had a lot of 'bad luck'.

5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

In fairness to the schools, I believe there are some teachers who were neither legally nor morally entitled to severance and made a great deal of trouble trying to get it. I'm sure at least one succeeded. I can see where a school would want to dodge this bullet.

He also created some of it by allowing an overstay to occur.

On the bright side, it doesn't sound like he'll be out of work for long.

That's a good way to look at it.

6. Clown

Well, there is more at stake than hurt feelings or personal greed. I worry about the next guy's chances if the school gets away with this.

A friend from Nigeria would be royally screwed. He cannot even get a passport replaced by his embassy in Bangkok!

Me, I flew to a neighboring country and had my first day of work yesterday. (Life's good, except the hours suck - but the owner seems to think they will change that as they are the only school in town and I'm supposed to bring in students. Would be nice :thumbsup2:)

7. gungchang

The adventure continues. It's nice to hear you're working again.

Are you going to let us know which neighboring country?

8. Clown

Sure. Vietnam. It's near Halong Bay https://www.google.com.vn/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHNY_enVN607VN607&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Halong%20Bay%20images Alas, there are problems. Got an apartment in the language school, but the hours are abysmal. I can't make it on maybe 10 hours a week. :wacky: The owner advertised an expensive IELTS course "with foreign teachers". The previous girl from the UK lasted a week - then her father died.

My September salary has been embezzled - can't say that I'm surprised. They have my bank details and transferred my salary before...

Seems the whole industry is full of rogue operators! :wai3:

9. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

At the risk of sounding self-righteous (and not specifically pointing a finger at the OP) BUT ....

It always strikes me strange that many people (10's of thousands per year) do just fine working in EFL with a minimum of difficulties, enjoy their time abroad and either make a career out of it or return home with the tales and fond memories from their experience ...

Then there are those who, it seems, always manage to land in the shit wherever they go as they drift from one country to the next, one bad employer to the next, one visa crisis to the next.

Makes me wonder, "Why is that?"

10. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Looks great. :happy1:

True that.

Bad karma. :happy1:

11. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Completely agree with the sentiment. However, when I arrived from China in 2006, I did visa runs for 8 months (simply because I thought that was how it worked - I knew nothing of Kru Supha, and this was pre-TCT). Had the visa run rules changed then the way they have now, would I not have been in the same boat. To that extent, I would have to think there is a bit of luck involved. OTOH, I have always done better than average here. I don't usually ponder why.

12. gungchang

déjà vu

Again??

I'm no authority on Viet Nam, but my visits suggested that's it's still recovering from "The American War" and things are still not inconsistent with an anarchy.

How many different clones of La Vie water have you seen so far?

Have you seen any audio cassettes or CD's of Vietnamese singers? I'm told that they're all Vietnamese-American singers from Westminster, California. Piracy is so bad that there's no money to be made by a Vietnamese recording artist in Viet Nam.

My info is dated, but you get the idea.

Transferred your salary from where to where before what? A few details are missing.

I hope it works out for you in Veetnum.

Given your recent experiences, you sound like a candidate for an agency. I can think of one that might be a good fit for you should you return to Syam. Let them fret about paying you and making sure your papers are in order.

13. Clown

One language school had "guaranteed" be a minimum salary of $ 1,000. Upon arrival, it was on a dirt road and the classroom is also the lving cum dining room. The "manager" had referred to "the owner" regarding the contract details. Well, it's the same person. And there is a 1 million Dong clause stating that the school can grab it when I'm missing a class.

The truly bizarre thing is that the owner, a lecturer at a university, can't speak English well enough to get a TOEIC score of maybe 220. But he's the one "reading" aloud in my trial classes. At another school, it was a similar story - but that guy was a soldier who bought a run down language center and lets teachers do the teaching.

Students are very motivated. And a visit to a local school was something the Bee Gees might have experienced if they had visited a school in the '80s :hilarious:

Even the better run language centers lack students and cannot provide the hours needed to make an okay living - even if one was to work every day! (Strictly talking about the country side, not Hanoi or HCMC).

One owner tried to brush away my concerns about the pay by saying "it's no problem - you are family.

Granted, good teachers are usually seen as an asset, not a liability.

A school has 120 days to assess someone. Then there is a proper way of terminating an employment contract. See it as a stupid tax.

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday, I made a motorcycle tour into the mountains. Met some Hill Tribe folks who seem to wear the same clothes as those near Mae Hong Son. ** They drink the most awful homebrewed liquor. Like 85% proof, made from rice. ** There was blood splattered all over where they had killed chicken. And they must pay tuition to send kids to government schools. And they have Vietnamese passports but are ethnic Laotians? ** One woman took a liking to me and offered to go to the bathroom with me :hilarious:

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12 Oct 2014
  14. gungchang

You look like you're living life. That motorcycle must be a lot more fun to ride than the Bangkok subway.

I think it's time to start a new thread. Clowning Around in Viet Nam?

15. Clown

My workload is considerable - but then I'll be making hundreds of Dollars more than at the Thai government school.