1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wine in the classroom

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by Joko, 18 Oct 2016.

1. Joko

Joko Thread Starter Active Member

Well, tonight was a new one. It was the final session of an 8 week term. I'd spent 40 hours teaching these students, an elementary 2 class. Last unit test was yesterday, and after some writing feedback, we spent 90 minutes playing Word Up.

Then it was time for a ritual I've gone through maybe a hundred times now: last class cake and soda.

As I handed one of my students a small paper cup of bubbly beverage (directly behind me in the photo), she says "Oh, no teacher, I don't like Sa-prite. I like wine."

"Oh!" says her older classmate across the table, "I bought wine at City Mart" (I was so proud of her for using an irregular past tense very properly)

As the teacher, I know they needed my approval take the next step, and so I piped in, "If you want to drink wine, please, go ahead." (I knew that by using a conditional sentence structure in a low-level class, this wasn't graded speech, but what the heck... there was wine in that bag!)

Sa-prite replaced by what I later learned was a somewhat expensive South African vintage, Nederburg, if I remember correctly. Alcohol in the classroom. First time ever!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DavidUSA and Gor Blimey Guvnur! like this.
  2. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Burma cannot be the entirely scary and primitive place I saw long ago, and it is very good to get that snapshot out of my mind.

The students look relaxed, and that says a lot about the mood you created and their confidence. The classroom looks modern enough.

Nice.

3. Templeton

Templeton Member

I knew alcohol in class was ok....:drinking