1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will KSP accept this cert?? License RENEWAL

Discussion in 'Ongoing Teacher Development' started by steveolevi, 2 Feb 2015.

1. steveolevi

steveolevi Thread Starter Well-Known Member

*Please post here if you are unsure if the cert you have will pass muster by KSP for license renewal.

I recieved this award last month ( Jan. 2015). I was told that it was from the Education Area office and it was for "Outstanding teacher". I wonder if this award is likely to be accepted by KSP toward license renewal. The ceremony was rather big with many teachers and admins from various local schools receiving awards, including Directors, and the presenter was the "mayor" of the Amphur. So, Area ed. office + official Amphur ceremony makes me think that this is a valuable piece of paper.

Additionally, The event was stricly shirt and tie for men, and dress-below-the-knee with heavy make up for the women. And then there was me, the only foreigner in the room receiving an award. The event happened to be on teachers day.

Please let me know what weight this award carries toward license renewal. I have been told by some Thai teachers that it is very valuable, but you can guess at my apprehension.

Do you know of other "awards" that will pass for renewal equal to seminar certs?

Attached Files:

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

very impressive congrats

3. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

it won't hurt, that is certain. how long have you been waiting to crowbar that into a thread? :smile2:

congrats!

4. steveolevi

I'd just like to know what is says, and will it count toward getting my license renewed (four years from now)? I've got one cert from a seminar in BKK with ttompatz, the upcoming "Cambridge day" in CM, and maybe with this piece of papaer I'll be set. No "begging letters" to KSP for me!

5. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Tremendous achievement - not many of them given out I bet!

6. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

It says what you think it says. It's an award for being a good teacher.

Line 1: The name of your school
    Line 2: Awarded by the Basic Education Office for zone 1 in Chiang Mai
    Line 3: This was awarded to show that ...
    Line 4: your name
    Line 5: is commended for being a good teacher, a credit to Gam-Peng. Primary level
    Line 6: Year 2557
    Line 7: (I'm not sure about this line or my translation!) Take care of this award and your goodness forever
    Line 8: Given on the 16 January 2558
    Signed by ...
    School administrator (at your school)

NB: My wife got a similar award. :thumbsup2: :clap:

I've no idea. Sorry. But good luck and congratulations on your award.

7. steveolevi

Thanks for taking the time to translate that, Rastus. I'll bring it to the local KSP and get the definitive answer about about it being useful for renewal.

8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Good behavior and not professional development.

Nice to show you are appreciated but of no value for renewal.
    You need 3 workshops, seminars, etc.

If you are really stuck and short one then "MS-word, nice paper and some imagination coupled with with a pretty little sticker in the corner and your directors signature/school stamp will often work" for a short term fix (in-school / in service workshop).

9. steveolevi

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

10. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

My wife said it's the third year this annual award scheme has been running. It could be your turn next year. :smile2:

11. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I undoubtedly deserve one but there is not the slightest possibility of my school putting me forward - I think they would jump for joy if I told them I was leaving!!!

12. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

Ask them to put your name forward so that it will make it easier for other schools to poach or head-hunt you. :smile2: Win-win.

Update: After further discussion, the 1000 figure seems to be incorrect. Sorry about that.

13. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Westerners with their western sensibilities. Lest you forget, TiT. Having big face accounts for more than actual quals. At the end of the day the folks looking at your application renewal are Thai, not westerners. Slap this on top of whatever PD you have, and I bet they don't flip the page to see what's next, and if they do they are likely looking for other certificates that might make you have big face.

If Thai forums have taught you nothing, they should have taught you that the 'rules' are anything but set in stone. (Some folks getting 5(?!) waivers while others getting refused a 3rd). While it is possible the 'officer' looking at your documents might tick boxes for the number of PD certs you have, it is just as likely they will see this and not bother to dig deeper (when was the last time you saw a Thai pass up a chance to be lazy?).

14. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

sorry to rain on your parade but 100 000 teachers

- - - Updated - - -

re-read my post. Sorry mate . your achievement is an impressive one. Well done