1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who have you met in person from Thailand Teaching Asia

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Stamp, 5 Jun 2011.

1. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly. I've always been forgetful.

Now that you've jarred my memory, have we talked about this before? Was it a case of not knowing who we were until after the course?

It was not a cheap weekend, but staying in the campus hotel was certainly convenient.

2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure I was coming on here at the time of this course. I think we talked about it sometime afterwards. Yes I remember you being very happy with the accommodation and I think we were all blown away by the quality of the food .... happy event. I don't think there's been another course there since.

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've only met a few member's wives/ boyfriends. But please keep it as a secret. Psssst...

Must be my hansom humanness...:go10

bahn_farang likes this.
  4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

no it's your spelling

NODIIT likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I never got to meet anyone from this website--only a handful of other foreign teachers who passed through Nakhon Phanom in the heady days of 2013-2015.

Finding this website was very pleasant. If a teacher is out there in the wilds alone, it can get claustrophobic. Sometimes it was surreal: periodic alcohol-saturated parties with female students in skimpy outfits, ladyboys and ethnic dancers; a curriculum that a grave, dazed chimp on LSD must have devised; and a general mood that everything was A-OK and double-plus good, etc., but it sure as somtam was not.

So this website amounted to contact with rational beings, a godsend. The threatening clouds of ting-tong (Cumulonimbus in Isaan) began to dissipate.

If the folks on this website decided to meet up, that would probably be a hoot. Bangkok would be the best venue for several reasons, one of which is that it is easiest to get to. (A central location is a good idea, but everyone has to get there. Ease trumps distance.) If the meeting could also provide some kind of training, provide some kind of qualification, that would be spectacular and bring more people.

"Darling, I have to go to Bangkok to attend an important teachers' meeting. I'll be gone for a couple days. Don't worry, I'll take my phone and we have Skype. I'll make sure not to shut my phone off like I did right after I met you. Yes, I'll take the battery charger. No darling, don't worry about going too. It might be boring. Very important meeting. I'm getting a certificate, you'll see."

Last edited: 15 Aug 2016
  6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

There are aps that will let your suspicious sig other track your whereabouts.

One job was two stops away from S'vit PSE MP's and my trip home was through the pleasure palaces on RP. Our neighborhood is also littered with happy ending MP's. It was nice to be able to establish my whereabouts to be Villa Supermarket, etc.

I suppose the ap can be defeated by having a partner in crime go to your embassy with your phone, etc. But, how practical is that?

Neither here nor there, I just noticed that my "country flag thingie" is now KSA. This is odd, because my VPN is connecting through HK from PRC.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2016
  7. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I was just making jokes. My sig other would need some dire sig intell to track me, but she does not have to because I track myself. Yeah, your little flag says Saudi Arabia. That is better than "Ft. Meade."

But it would be nice to get out of the Middle Kingdom for a few days and interrogate a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label and some REAL French wine in Krung Thep. The fake foreign wine here in China is a real downer. The domestic wine has hints of diesel fuel and gasoline. Changyu is pretty repulsive, but I did have one that was OK. I can't wait to go to Nanjing or Shanghai and find some good wine from France and Italy.

8. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I enjoyed meeting you. I'm sure you'd have been the only one to turn in a police report to the school. I think that was just a random request added to the list of things that one should do when hiring foreign teachers directly en masse for the first time.

The job was yours but, from what I've read of your adventure, it would seem you didn't make the wrong choice.

9. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

Am not sure if any of my teacher friends are members of this forum.

10. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

I've met:
    Stamp
    Bird
    Mak
    AO
    and probably others who are posting under different nicks. We all get along famously.

11. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

:chinrub

12. SageAdvice

^:smiling I used to work as a waiter (part-time) at OMC.

13. Stamp

:lmao

14. Stamp

IMG_1102.JPG

15. SageAdvice

Yep. That's the place. It was my task to unclog the elephants' noses: somebody would always shove mushy peas up their trunks.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2016
    Stamp likes this.