1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to learn Thai?

Discussion in 'Thai Language' started by Makaveli, 8 Dec 2010.

1. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

I can draw them again and post them here but to be honest I think it might be better to draw your own based on the sounds you hear from a native speaker. That way it's personalised for you and you're more likely to remember it.

2. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

bird and happynz like this.
  3. bird

bird Member

Hey, that's great! Thanks for the link, too. Will check it out. :wai3:

4. stimo

stimo New Member

FROM THE MINUTE YOU LEAVE YOUR FRONT DOOR, YOU CAN PRACTICE SPEAKING THAI. AT SHOPS, MARKETS, ON BUSES, TAXIS,... IT'S THE WAY I LEARNT IT IN BANGKOK.

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Im guessing you love Bangkok because of all the CAPITALS ^:hilarious:

6. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

:wai3: ^

Good model right there.

TYT = teach yourself thai

7. slamb

slamb Active Member

OK you've got 30 posts now so you can STOP SHOUTING! :hilarious:

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmm, physician, heal thyself? A man who represents himself has a fool for a client!

Clich├ęs aside, I can't quite fathom how a teacher can teach himself using student-centred learning without creating a paradox. :biglaugh:

In short, get a good Thai teacher, if only so you can converse with them in a quiet place. :smile:

8. crew

crew Faber College Member

i thought it was spelled out quite clearly. theory and sarcasm aside, it can work. or at least i've made it work for me. of course having a competent teacher would be better but as far as i'm aware, they're far and few between.

9. hhiser

hhiser New Member

Tony should set up a language school!

10. slamb

slamb Active Member

Always you seem to take things at face value, don't get the joke & completely miss the point. :happy1:

The core of modern student centred learning is that the student teaches himself & to expand, learns from & is assessed by his peers. The teacher is only there to provide a framework & guide the process; hence the paradox!

'Competent' Thai teachers are as rare as rocking horse shit I agree but we shouldn't throw the baby out...

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be up for that. Let's get drunk in a random bar & agree to set up a business. I've done the same with every group of guys I've met in a pub over the last 20 years & as far as I can remember only good things have come from it. :biglaugh:

11. crew

crew Faber College Member

thanks. :rolleyes:

the OP asked a question and i replied. if someone picks up something from it, great. if you want to use to make silly points about your hilarious paradox, fill yer boots.

12. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

Cool:hilarious:

13. chrgrims

chrgrims New Member

a good thai teacher is simon at banpasathai.com. he also teaches on skype. i have been his student for a long time, and i am now decent at speaking, currently working on reading and writing.

14. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

What? Vygotsky, or...??

- - - Updated - - -

I think I get what he means by 'paradox'...but...pretty sure he's kind of trumping it up a bit - "paradox"? really? :thai wai:

It can/should be an interesting path for thought - solo study n' class study (not nec. a paradox)- esp. for a classroom teacher (which crew isn't, he's a trainer), studying..

Here's one thing: being in a lang. classroom of any kind is great for a lang. teacher