1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is Harris Binotti ?

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 16 Nov 2016.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

There is another thread on Thailand Teaching about this story concerning the murder of Gary Ferguson in Myanmar and the possibility (alleged) that his friend and work colleague Harris Binotti is responsible for his death. See link for earlier Thailand Teaching website stories.

RIP to a fellow teacher | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

I am forwarding Gary Ferguson's brother's request from a facebook post in trying to find this individual. A story was run here today about the family of Gary Ferguson trying to track down this man:

Victim's family in plea to find former Aberdeen student on the run from the law - Press and Journal

Martin Ferguson Facebook 12 Nov.png
    (Image from Martin Ferguson's facebook page dated 12th November)

Interpol and the Thai authorities are unwilling to give any indication to the press as to his possible whereabouts, indeed even if he exitied Bangkok airport on the 5th of November or went on his way in transit. Some say he is in Thailand or that he may have made his way to Cambodia. Shame the powers cannot tell the press or public as the public may then be able to be of more help. It seems the Ferguson family have to step in with an online campaign ....so here is the share for them, compliments of Thailand Teaching.

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

If he simply did a transit at BKK or DMK the Thai authorities won't have any record of him.
    Get off the plane and go through the transit desk. He would never go through passport control to "enter" Thailand.

If he did "enter" Thailand and then promptly fled... buy a cheap seat to Malaysia to show as you pass through immigration.
    Have your real ticket to the Philippines or Hong Kong and gone again.

Since Myanmar doesn't have extradition treaties with anyone (legacy of their 30 years of dictatorship) the accused will basically skip off scot-free even if Interpol does manage to locate him. I don't imagine they are looking too hard since there is no way to send him back.

Even if he returns to 'ol Blighty there is little or no chance of facing a courtroom over it to face trial and a death sentence. With no extradition treaty in place and a death sentence facing him in Myanmar he won't be returned and the UK has no court of competent jurisdiction to try him and punish him for it domestically. They can't try him for a crime not committed in the UK or return him to a country with no extradition treaty.

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

^Ty ttompatz for the above.
    However, I would like to add the following:
    1) If in transit then there would be a passenger record with the carrier (as is the only information given as to how he exited Myanmar and all Thai airways flights fly to Bangkok from Yangoon) and Immigration would have access to this information.(plus points 2 & 3 following)
    2) If he went in transit to another country without leaving the airport then again there would be a carrier record ...you need your passport details to book a ticket or tickets
    3) Exit airport, buy a cheap air ticket or tickets and enter again there is an immigration record of entering and leaving Thailand the same day and again a record with another carrier.(yes even the dodge of multiple tickets would still show a check in record and xxx flight boarded)
    4) Exit the airport and then deemed to be in Thailand by immigration.
    5) Say then leave Thailand by a land border and there is an immigration record.
    6) Leave Thailand overland through the jungle/smuggled across then no record and could be anywhere.

So in sum yes the Thai authorities could give an indication as to the first 5 points as to where he 'might' be or has been.

As for extradition, you are right ttompatz about lack of treaties. However, in the case of 'Homocide' Interpol can issue 'red notices' on behalf of any member state of which Myanmar is a member of. Yes, it is not clear cut as to who can be extradited where even within this system and depends upon the crime committed too. The press has stated it is in the hands of interpol now.

Yes, and sadly ttompatz, if he were to return to the UK I think too that they wouldn't send him back to Myanmar, but I am unsure that he would be able to get away scott free if he was indeed guilty. Is there not a proviso in UK law to be tried in the UK for crimes abroad ...sorry I'm no legal expert but one would think if there is then murder would be high up the list.

4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Think I answered the question.
    Murder Abroad

Updates have been added but this very old law remains the bones of the law today.
    Uk murder abroad law.png

I may add too that the law in this case may be more clear cut as a British national allegedly murdered another British national. Please see link.

sirchai and Stamp like this.
  5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

It will certainly help when we all keep our eyes and ears open. Does anybody have friends in Cambodia? One of his FB contacts is in the Philippines, another place to consider.

But he could be hiding somewhere in Thailand with no hair, shaved beard, maybe wearing a wig. But I'd still remember his face. He's showing quite a lot of arrogance in this photo, not a guy I'd like to have a beer with......

The poor guy who got killed seemed to be a real nice guy, let's hope they get him.

Here, there, or anywhere.

6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

He updated his FB with the photo you posted after killing the guy and here's the photo he used before.

The asshole.jpg

Without green and a few changes...

A freaking killer new.jpg

Last edited: 16 Nov 2016
    Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  7. ttompatz

There is still the simple matter of "burden of proof". There is very little chance that the "forensic evidence" produced by Myanmar police would come anywhere near what is needed to meet the requirement of proof beyond doubt. Speculation and trial in the press does not meet the requirement needed for the prosecution of a capital crime in the UK.

He would get a walk anyway.

So, no prosecution in the UK and no return to Myanmar. Just one more name on a red list who cannot return to Myanmar and who should probably, quickly depart SE Asia to avoid getting embroiled in the farce that is the legal system in most of these countries.

8. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

We do not know for a fact that Mr. Binotti actually did anything wrong. A teacher was murdered, but the rest is hearsay. Binotti is wanted for questioning, and he should turn himself in.

Getting torn-from-the-frame, sloppy-violent drunk can be a quick way to ruin or end one's life, one's friend's life, etc. It is a tragic incident no matter the details. But there is a lesson.

Don't be either of these guys: don't set up the conditions that would allow it to happen.

Some of our British friends seem to be a bit more alcohol-saturated and violent than most. I am wondering why that is.

Someone I know well is also fond of the sacred grape, cold barley soup, and white wine; a little ultra-violence is always waiting to emerge and gleeful when it gets a chance to erupt.

Anglo-Saxon genes?

Last edited: 17 Nov 2016
    sirchai likes this.
  9. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

:laughing5 That's why Im movin' to the good old USA land of the peaceful placid Americans. Thanks DavidUSA you made me smile first thing in the morning:thumbs up

DavidUSA likes this.
  10. DavidUSA

Anglo-Saxon whitey is full of love everywhere. In America, the tenderness, kindness, Quaker-like sensitivity to living things, the empathetic joy, the sunshine under the breastbone, are all there, albeit in a more concentrated form than in Great Britain, where the core of our values comes from. Of course, it is still sensible to take precautions and carry a concealed handgun.

11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Yup, and if he has nothing to hide, he should turn himself in. But until now, that hasn't happened yet.

12. ttompatz

Think about that.
    Would YOU turn yourself in to a SE Asian police force as a "person of interest"?

Brings to mind the events of another high profile murder here in Thailand and the high quality of the forensic evidence brought to bear when the local rich kid walked and two "foreign" laborers confessed under duress (torture). They will be sentenced to death for their "crime".

How about the suspect who suffered from an unexplained ruptured spleen and organ damage due to blunt force trauma but somehow hanged himself with his socks while in custody for questioning.

We won't mention the rich kid who drove over and dragged a cop to death but is still walking free.

DSI suspends 2 top officers over 'bribe' is one of today's headlines.

Anything to hide or not... SE Asian police forces are the LAST place to turn yourself into.

Guilt or innocence, evidence or not.... justice is not a legitimate word in SE Asian justice systems.

DavidUSA and Stamp like this.
  13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Yeah. Point taken.

14. DavidUSA

I recommended that he turn himself in, but I discretely did not say where. South Korea? Sure. Thailand? No way. Laos? Worse. Singapore? Sure. Japan? Sure. Cambodia? Nuts.

Walk in the front door of a British Embassy and start talking.

15. ttompatz

After a decade in the ROK (I worked at the National Police University for a while) that is definitely off the list.
    Singapore... where you get caned for chewing gum... I don't think so.
    Japan... their English is worse than the Thai Police... nope too much getting lost in translation.

I would suggest he not start talking until he walks into the front doors of [​IMG]
    Scotland Yard... if ever, if at all and not until they ask for him.

Anything else is just stupid.

sirchai likes this.