1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are Thailand’s tourists coming from?

Discussion in 'General News from Thailand' started by Stamp, 12 Nov 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

November 12, 2016

The number of visitor arrivals in Thailand between January and April 2016 amounted to an impressive 11,682,144 which was a 14.12% increase on the same period in the previous year. Tourist revenue is also predicted to rise by around 8% in 2016 following on from an increase of 23% in 2015 compared to 2014. In monetary terms, the total amount of tourist revenue generated in 2015 was US$42 billion. It is this figure that is predicted to rise by 8% with revenue from domestic travel predicted to be around US$24 billion in 2016.

So where are the visitors coming from? According to information provided by theImmigration Office and Department of Tourism, Ministry of Tourism and Sports, visitors from East Asia totalled 7,630,739 (+17.26%), Europe 2,526,784 (+8.89%), the Americas 502,627 (+13.76%), South Asia 459,157 (+8.72%), Middle East 226,973 (+11.36%) and Africa 51,566 (+6.44%). The only market reporting a slowdown was Oceania: 284,298 (-2.71%).

Of the 7.63 million arrivals coming from East Asia and ASEAN which made up 65.32% of the total market share, 3.4 million came from China with the total from ASEAN countries being 2.74 million arrivals with the majority of these coming from neighbouring Laos. Malaysia, Korea and Japan all made it into the top five for the numbers of visitors to Thailand.

Capture_16.jpg

Read the full article here: Where are Thailand’s tourists coming from? - PattayaOne

DavidUSA likes this.
  2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Erm ...so I take it this is based upon people arriving in the country on a 'tourist visa'/crossing the border as an ASEAN member? I say this as I find it hard to believe 449 thousand Lao's came to Thailand to be 'A tourist'. Yes we can argue 'What is a tourist?' but I hope you can see my point.

However, the story maybe has the wrong headline from the original source re:'Visitor arrivals' which then would be "Any foreignor" entering the country on whatever visa/ASEAN member. Adding tourism into these figures is not correct as 'all' are not tourists.

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

With the exception of landing fees at the airports and a wake up call to all to start learning Chinese these figures offer little. Numbers of arrivals shows nothing of value. The table would look somewhat different if ranked by expenditure.

DavidUSA likes this.
  4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

It would be great to find out how many couples with kids choose Thailand for a holiday.

I'm pretty sure that they guys from the UK and Germany spend more money than the Chinese.

Plus, they usually don't spit into pools while others are swimming inside. Happened to me in Chonburi a while ago. :laughing5Nieehau Maaa..........

5. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Well-Known Member

More and more Chinese have money, and they do travel quite often.
    Speaking of which, 'Is it a good time to travel to Thailand?"
    With the Dear King being gone, I was wondering if this has affected the economy at all as I may visit end of January next year.

6. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

The economy is tanking, business is struggling but the controlling civil servants are isolated from economic down turns as their salaries are guaranteed.

DavidUSA likes this.
  7. Stamp

Why do I always have the feeling that statistics presented by the Ministry of Tourism are inflated.

What about the drawback related to
    - new rules for Chinese tourists entering Thailand by car
    - and the shutdown of the 'zero-dollar companies'

8. Stamp

9. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

or deflated or otherwise manipulated. Local bureaucrats have to follow orders like everyone else: good news is decreed and supporting numbers published; bad news is unstressed for the sake of the country's image (read tourism). Third World media machinations don't inspire confidence, but who cares as long as the bars, beaches and bitches are doing well.