1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What OS and browser are you using?

Discussion in 'Questions & Assistance' started by Stamp, 9 Aug 2015.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

//Windows 10 is the most privacy invasive OS in history. They had Google-envy, and they want your data. You can solve that, but it takes an effort. I like Windows 7, and I bought a few OEMs and put them on computers that I bought in Thailand or ones that I built. Guess what the folks at Microsoft did? If you update your Windows 7 it effectively becomes Windows 10, from the loss of privacy point of view. So I keep the Windows 7 up and running anyway, but I use Do Not Track Me to obfuscate collection, I block scripting, and I use Ghosterly in Firefox. I also make sure to not store anything on the computer, nothing at all except garbage.

//I use Fedora. It works well, and it is easy to add programs. I also use Ubuntu, but if you get into the nitty-gritty of Ubuntu you see that security is not important at all. I spent a couple weeks of my life removing one rootkit on my Ubuntu system. The trouble was the updating. In Thailand, when you update your verified download, the site you actually go to is not Ubuntu's site. Yeah.

By the way, those fake Windows OSs that you see people use in Thailand? If you feel lonely, then go get a copy. New friends will come soon. I pulled a crimeware file off of one such OS--only 30 MB.

//Thailand's web infrastructure is a lush garden of malware and crimeware, but I won't go on about it. It is rootkit heaven. Why? Because the ISPs do security on the cheap--they do not pay for decent protection for DNS resolution. It is a nightmare. But at least VPNs are allowed in Thailand. Get VyprVPN and encrypt your traffic through the ISP. They have their own DNS servers with a firewall for network address translation. You are talking to them. You can even mask your traffic through the ISP, but I do not think that really works, no matter what they say. Or you can use a Mozilla add-on that changes the user-agent (or both). Make it look as if you are using a Linux-based OS instead of Window-to-the-pros 7 or 10.

//If I have real traffic I use TAILS over TOR. That is your best bet in Thailand. (or I use a VPN--VPNs are another conversation-- over Ubuntu) They keep improving TAILS. It's a moving target. No collection. It is fast. Masked MAC address, user-agent masking, etc. If a criminal wants your stuff it is not going to be easy or fun. (especially if you use common sense) TAILS has all sorts of interesting features such as a program that erases metadata (metacontent). It also has GnuPG so you can make keys and communicate the smart way. The persistent volume you create (say on a thumb drive) is not going to be broken by anyone as long as you did everything right.

//The latest version of TAILS has a feature that disables networking, making it easy for everyday users to reach that goal. If you want a computer for your financial info and other personal information, then a completely wiped (or brand new) one that has only used TAILS from a thumb drive (with a persistent volume) is the way to go. Lose the thumb drive and no one will ever be able to open it. Forensics? The computer is clean like the Sistine Chapel.

//If you are using the internet in Thailand you are running around naked unless you take some steps.

//TAILS is free. www.tails.boum.org

//Windows = open window

//Fedora, Puppy (running it only in memory), OpenSUSE, Mint, Ubuntu... better choices than Window-to-the-pros 7, 8, or 10

//Most people want to feel comfortable and they don't want any disquieting facts to deal with. That is why people love to hear lies such as "this is safe," "this is guaranteed," "buy this because it works." Maybe. Maybe not. That is just how it is. What you can do is take precautions and reach a high degree of confidence that your dirty pictures are not being snickered at by a bored guy in a room with no windows.

//If you are running a business, then don't skimp on security. If you are not a big fish, then take simple precautions: use a VPN. I used to connect into Perth over VyprVPN, and it was hard encrypted and fast.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2016
  2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I just bought a 1300 yuan / $200 Pipo W9S netbook. It has 4GB memory and 64 GB storage.
    Windows 10 Home is pre-installed. This means an EFI drive and this plays havoc with dual booting. Linux Mint is in a virtual box for now. Android isn't cooperating. I hope to add OSX.

Purchasing from Chinese vendors for delivery within has proven to be an adventure.

The verdict is Opera on Linux Mint unless I need a VPN in which case it's Win 7 or10.

3. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

I see you're a gambling man!

[​IMG]

4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I am using Fedora at home, and the CHICOM OS that they provide for free when I am at work.

I can tell you what does not work in China: every VPN that I could think of. TAILS does not work either, and I am not going to push it. Since all Google products are blocked (which is actually kind of pleasant) there is no more YouTube, but this blocking creates problems such as Captcha pictures refusing to load (Captcha is a Google product).

I sometimes use some sophisticated security features of certain email providers: Tutanota, Hushmail, and Unseen. Once in a great while my Tutanota will let me send an encrypted email. If you talk about internet security with anyone in China they look at you with wondering eyes, "what in the world are you talking about?" It is like in Thailand when you say, "rootkit." They give you a puzzled look. I spent about a week of my life removing one rootkit off of Ubuntu in Thailand, and I wanted to figure out how it bypassed chkrootkit. Sophisticated. In China, their perception is that they are safe, case closed. But if you look at a civilian network here, then you will find it is a lush garden of malware. No one cares. If you have intrusion detection, the light will be blinking red. The internet these days is simply a huge collection platform, and everyone might as well face it. It is like a city with so many processes and short-term fixes that no single person understands it. My take on this topic goes like this: enjoy running around naked most of the time (and also enjoy being clothed, even if you are one in a ten million).

On this issue of China blocking the news, it is not really true. Some websites are blocked, yes. But many are not, such as CNN, Yahoo, and The Guardian and Daily Telegraph. How bad can it be? Bangkok Post is blocked, that is interesting.

Speaking of collection platforms: Windows 10. I heard someone say that Microsoft has Google envy. The dirty trick they play is that they turn your Windows 7 into 10, and they collect everything--sent in discreet packages back to the States for analysis. Not too many of the little sheep seem to mind. I like Windows 7, but I use it on an air-gapped system that will never see the internet. As soon as you update Windows 7 it starts to report. What is the solution?

Go Linux-based: Mint, Fedora, Puppy, Ubuntu (not the best from a security point of view), OpenSuse. In Thailand you can use TAILS, and that is clearly the OS of choice. It has so many fun tools. Running Puppy in memory only is also a good choice, but running TAILS the same way, with Persistance (a PGP encrypted volume), masquerading as Windows 7, that's the ticket. Put the OS on a USB, make a copy; if you lose it, so what? It's macaroni without the password. What is left on the computer you use it with? Ziltch. It also comes with a browser that does not track you and an app that erases metadata. Best of all, you can generate real PGP keys, etc.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2016
    Clown likes this.
  5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Windows 10 Pro Search machine usually Google, but from time to tome also the New Edge browser...

Attached Files:

6. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Using Win 7 Ultimate ATM. Was going to make the leap to Win 10 Pro soon but just found out Acer doesn't provide driver support for my model (Aspire E1 431G). Strange that they provide support for earlier models of a similar spec...

Windows 10 Upgrade

Anyone had any luck using Win 8.1 drivers with Win 10?

7. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

You've got one month to roll back to your old system.

Please see: Acer Aspire E1-431G Drivers Download for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP

Best of luck !!!! :go10

GanDoonToonPet likes this.
  8. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

Using OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on an early 2009 Mac Mini. It can run more recent OS, including the latest, OS 10.11, but with little benefit to me in my one computer, no iDevice household.

My main browser is Safari, but I do use Opera and Firefox a bit because some websites seem to work better with them.

sirchai likes this.
  9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Every man woman and child at the Gainesville Military Academy (Gainesville International School) in Mae Sai has a Chromebook, as do (did) two of the teachers here (one has returned to the US). I recall both of them having issues connecting to the school's network and wifi- and I am not sure either resolved either issue.

10. Stamp

Stamp Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

11. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

I have never had a problem with connectivity anywhere, and in any country. Could be the network.

ramses likes this.
  12. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

^Thanks. I figured as much - however the Thai IT guy insisted it was the Chromebook.