1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool What is your favorite place to vacation and why?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Internationalteacher, 14 Jan 2017.

1. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

I think the really great thing about being a TEFL teacher is that you can work in just about any country in the world.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Provided you're a NES.

3. OxfordDon

Agreed completely, I realised my error almost as soon as I hit the send button!

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Hopefully stamp it will not be the case in the future where talent is recognised over place of birth.
    I love a little cheeky visit to Bangkok, it's mad busy smoky but you have to love it

5. Stamp

I'm a non-native speaker of English and don't pretend to be something else. Regardless my M.Sc. from a UK university. I don't have a white skin. I look Asian! Most Thais think I am Filipino but I am not. I don't speak like them and don't behave like them. I simply have to accept the way things are. I find comfort in -

6. OxfordDon

It is crazy isn't? What exactly is a NES? A few musings...

Many British people can't speak English at all.

Many Philippinos are as "NES" as many British.

Many Indians and Pakistanis speak perfect RP English.

In the USA many forecasts show Spanish overtaking English as a first language some time in the next 30 years. If that ever happens, will USA citizens still be categorised as NES?

Most conversations in the English language take place between NNES people, and they manage quite well than you very much.

Most teachers and speakers of English in the world are NNES.

The purpose of TEFL is imho not to produce clones of Oxford dons, but to facilitate communication.

By the way, somehow I picked up the idea that you 2 guys (Stamp and BF) were maths teachers?

sirchai and Internationalteacher like this.
  7. Stamp

Thanks for your reply, OD.

Currently teaching general science to M1 - M3 students.

8. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

That's a fact and no one can change the fact.

That's also a fact and no one can change the fact, nor to pretend otherwise....well worth you mentioned it.

9. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

I hate when at the bottom of a job ad they say that you must be from Canada, America, UK, South Africa in order to apply for a job. I work with many Filipino's and they teach well. Most people speak English in the Philippines. And like yourself, who is not from these countries that they specify in job ads. I find it racist actually.

10. bahn_farang

Math to grades 7-9

11. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I thought you were English. Math?

bahn_farang likes this.
  12. bahn_farang

oops, well spotted. Maths to grades 7-9

Tonyja likes this.
  13. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

Ko Kood south of Ko Chang is a beautiful island, not too developed but it does have a good road network that isn’t too busy. It’s much bigger than I thought. There are some very exclusive high end resorts, that charge up to 150k a night but there are plenty of budget and mid range places available. The beaches are stunning and there is a very laid back tranquil atmosphere on the island. Don’t go there expecting to party because the island is dead by midnight but its’ great for couples of groups of friends who want to relax.

Ko Samed has some lovely beaches but it gets very busy and it’s the only place where I’ve had trouble from the locals. Nothing major but a shop owner got right up in my face because I parked my bike outside his shop, I was completely calm but they guy was spoiling for a fight. The first time I went there, my friends had their phones and wallets stolen. I just find the island not as friendly as other places in Thailand.

I used to love Ko Tao but I refuse to go there now. It used to be a relaxed divers island but the temptation to cash in on the hedonism of the neighbouring full moon party was just too much. In recent years the blatant mafia of Ko Samui, Phangan and Surat Thani have infested the place. A crying shame. :sad

Bali is wonderful and I’d highly recommend the Gili islands, they are spectacular.

14. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I was on Ko Samet about 20 years ago and it was a little paradise. No electricity at night, but a candle- light dinner at the beach was quite romantic.

A "luxury bungalow" with enough place for a big family was only 500 baht.

I was really shocked when I visited it 5 years ago. It was like Mallorca in high season.

Internationalteacher and Hey_ewe like this.
  15. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Koh Samet was a similar scene 15 years ago.