1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool What is your favorite place to vacation and why?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Internationalteacher, 14 Jan 2017.

1. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

I'm really into camping in the Thai NPs. It's the only place you're going to find the paradises. I hold a number of camping records and 3-4 head rangers know me well by sight. One bends a lot of rules for us.

I've been to Tarutao and camped all but the most remote campsite - which is killing me! It's been a dream for 15 years. A 10-15km huge walk and said to now be dangerous (harboring illegal migrants). No canteen, uncertain about water at this point.

Camping in the Andaman is so amazing. It takes islands and beaches to a whole different level.

Before the coral burned up it was true heaven. So cheap too.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  2. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter Well-Known Member

^^^Too much info, Sirchai! lol! That's sick. I've been to many countries of the world alone and have not run into any problems. I'm a pretty safe and cautious girl, but also have fun too (having fun and being cautious don't always go together though). LOL!

^^Yeah worth a visit at some point, Gor! I guess you don't have to worry about being gang raped or being raped by a donkey. The joys of being a man. :innocent

sirchai likes this.
  3. Internationalteacher

Cool, I've never tried it. I enjoyed white water rafting in Phang Na though! I've also camped on the Great Wall of China! You should try it.

4. Internationalteacher

Really sorry to hear about this and the girl as well in Pai. I don't live my life in fear. Yes, I know things happen and I'm aware of issues, but I take precautions and try not to worry too much about what may be. Life is too short. :)

sirchai and bahn_farang like this.
  5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

it certainly is!

6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you and hope that you do not have nightmares of some poor and helpless raped donkeys who had unprotected fun.>:angry3

Plenty of lonely Caucasian women travel to Turkey just to find a man and have some fun which is okay.

It's very similar to Thailand and the guys play the perfect lover/ husband/ guide, whatever you want. You pay them for their service.

But other Turks from deepest Anatolia might think that all alone traveling Caucasian women are looking for a sexual adventure. That could be very dangerous.

I already know that you don't leave your brain at the Immigration, but it's always good to be careful.

Have a good one and be a good girl, na khrap. :cold

7. Internationalteacher

^Ta, but all I mentioned is that the men were friendly and now you are going on about paying men for sex and being careful in Anatolia where I haven't been. lol. I have no idea if women go there and pay for sex as I haven't done so. I went for the cultural experience and found out that men can be friendly which isn't always a bad thing.

8. professeur

professeur Well-Known Member

In Thailand my favorite place would be Koh Samui, off season of course. Touristy, but not sleazy like Pattaya or Patong. Since I'm living in a very non-touristy spot I actually don't mind a bit of western comfort once in a while. Great restaurants and an interesting and varied nightlife.

My favorite ASEAN-country would be Cambodia. It's authentic, affordable and it has an interesting and rather wretched history. Phnom Penh is unique due to it's French colonial style, it doesn't look or feel anything like Bangkok or any other Thai city. Friendly people as well, a bit shyer and more timid than most Thais. Not the best food in Asia though.

Outside of Asia I really like Greece a lot. Beautiful beaches, lots of archaeological sides and some of the best food in the world. I could murder anything with feta-cheese and drenched in olive-oil at any given moment. Haven't been back there since moving to Thailand though; it's a shame.

9. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

I couldn’t agree more with you.

Me either.

10. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

11. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

The thing about traveling to some crazy extreme place for me is not balls, but money.

I've stomped around in some conflict zones and some places that are crazy remote and/or potentially dangerous. Unless it has intrinsic reasons for visiting, why?

It just becomes a cheap holiday in other people's misery**

Same with super crazy remote places. Right now I'm planning 1-2 months in Raja Ampat, Indonesia. I've been trying to do this for 15 years but due to timing and political instability, I've put it off. Wife will take off from work. I'm going to quit my job.

It has the hands down best live reefs left in the world. But...It's crazy remote. Last five years airlines fly closer and prices are still stupid, but better.

While the beaches are stunning, the draw is the reef. No one would bother with the distance let alone the expense to visit this area if it were not for the reef.

So, crossing desert on camel just to do it. Antarctica? Most of black Africa? Ridiculous.

12. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

If you read further ...

I’m travelling to these places to see the real story. In many cases, the official narrative is wrong and you can only discover this if you go. I was in Benghazi during the uprising; I was in Donetsk last June. I was in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan, in 2010. Usually the most striking impression is life seems pretty normal if you avoid the front lines. If you listen to the media, you would assume these places are like a living hell, but that is usually not true.

Personally I'd have thought that living reefs would be better left alone, and not subject to tourists.

13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

1976 first and last time. Rhodos it was.

14. Internationalteacher

I also loved Cambodia and spent a month touring around (yes, on my own) back in 2008. I absolutely fell in love with the people who were the kindest people I've ever met. They would literally give you the shirt off of their backs which is all they had in some instances. I did some volunteer work there in PP at the orphanage. I'll never forget my time there. Angkor Wat was magical and amazing!

I'd love to visit Greece, especially the south (Santorini). Greek food is one of my faves. Is it expensive there?

professeur likes this.
  15. Internationalteacher

Wow! Best of luck with that!
    I like adventure, but I wouldn't want to go to any of the places the guy in the article went. Nope, I like to stick to places that are a bit more touristy.