1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool What is your favorite place to vacation and why?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Internationalteacher, 14 Jan 2017.

1. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher Thread Starter AKA phuketbound

Good Morning TT! It's a beautiful sunny day here today.
    I was wondering what your favorite vacation spot is and why?
    It could be good to get some information on different places and countries.
    I'll tell you mine later. Thanks

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

If you want to relax, Boracay. Of course, I haven't been in a dozen years.

Singapore and KL are both cheap flights and have public transportation.

Bali if you've never been.

All are cheap, cheap to get to, warm, and you don't need a gas mask.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  3. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

I have dozens of places I like to vacation: Andalucia (the entire province), Hong Kong, San Francisco, Venice, Jaipur...each has its own charms: very difficult to choose one as the favorite.

4. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I used to love Geneva in the warmer months, especially if we drove down through France. Fishing on the lake eating croissants and nutella.

5. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Koh Samet, Thailand

Beaches, beaches and more beaches; that’s what Koh Samet is famous for. One tip, though, is that the further south you go, the less developed and less crowded it gets, which doesn’t necessarily mean less beautiful bays.
    Most boats from the mainland arrive at Na Dan Pier on the northeastern tip of the island.
    From here, the first beach you will hit is Sai Kaew, the most developed and the best place for nightlife.
    Then it’s one headland after another as you head southwards along the east coast from Ao Phai and Ao Tabtim to Ao Vong Duen, Ao Wai, Ao Kiu Na Nok to Ao Karang at the southeastern end.
    You can always hitch a ride on a passing songtaew to get from one beach to another.

Koh Samet is the kind of place where you can live out a totally lazy day, doing very little besides lying about in the sand, or enjoying water sports. Best of all, no planning is required, particularly if you choose to stay at one of the more popular beaches like Sai Kaew, Ao Phai and Ao Vong Duen, where a multitude of options are right at your resort’s doorstep.

Speedboat tours can also be a great way to visit the remoter beaches down south and on the west coast.

With so many tantalizing options, you will never run out of things to do on Koh Samet.

6. Internationalteacher

It is hard to pic one place, right.

^Cool, I haven't been there yet, but have been to many places and islands in Thailand.
    My favorite places to visit were Phuket, Koh Tao, Koh Samui, and Krabi. Beautiful beaches, people and food.

Also loved Sri Lanka - So much history, food and great beaches beyond belief.
    Turkey - Istanbul and all that it offered from friendly men, food, and culture.
    Shanghai - A mix of old and new, pulsating, loads to see and do.

bahn_farang likes this.
  7. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

LegoLand Malasia. If you have kids, a three night stay at the LegoLand hotel is a fantastic experience. Surrounded by lego the lobby is amazing, the rooms spacious and have a generous occupancy allowance. The water park is never crowded, the theme park itself is a full day too. The plaza in front of the park offers some food options too. The journey from Singapore airport can be done by bus, hassle free or taxi although a lot more expensive provides another transport option.

DisneyLand Hong Kong (but only if you stay at the on site hotels) The crush after the fireworks is not an enjoyable experience with young children, so investing in a few extra dollars to spend the night surrounded by Disney is worth it. Character breakfasts are the bomb too.

8. bahn_farang

Totally agree, was on the elephant polo circuit for a while and enjoyed Sri Lanka and Nepal too

9. Internationalteacher

^Nice.. I didn't see as much of Sri Lanka as I wanted to, but hope to go back someday. Spent most of my time at Hikkaduwa beach which is gorgeous if you are a beach person. Part of it is for surfing, and the other is for swimming. Haven't been to Nepal, but I hear it is amazing too.

10. bahn_farang

Nepal, It is absolutely amazing, stayed with Jim Edwards one of the guys behind elephant polo before flying to Chitwan on Yeti Airlines - that was an experience. Katmandu is full of wannabe hippies but the history is out of this world. Sri Lanka was a total blast, hired a personal guide for 3 weeks, took in all the elephant reserves amazing. All of course before children! Now its Mickey all the way and Hello Kitty / Thomas land

11. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I'd never go back to Ko Samet. It was a nice place 15 + years ago and now crowded as hell. Please see photo)
    There's a nice place called Bankrud(t), a fishermen village with plenty of resorts in Prachuap Khiri Khan province that's really worth to visit. You can join the fishermen and go for squid and BBQ them right afterward.

No nightlife, but plenty of nice places to visit, waterfalls and the sea is great.

Another ( only one of ) nice area in Thailand is in Takua Pa/ Phang Nga province, called Bang Sak, an endless beach with an amazing long beach, plenty of nice places nearby and really worth to visit.

Mae Hong Son ( see photo) in the north is pretty cool too and only driving there from Chiang Mai is worth the time. Pai, near Mae Hong Son lies in a valley and you can find hot springs, a waterfall, an elephant camp, rent a Motocross bike and go for it.

No need to hang out in the town, plenty of wannabee Rastafari's, easy to rent a bike and a helmet and drive to spectacular places.

Goa, in India, ( please see photo) is also pretty nice. Beaches from Anchuna to Vagator beach offer plenty of different bungalows, or you can just rent a house from a family.

A great holiday is to spend some time in Go, then travel all the way down to Trivandrum, take the ferry to Sri Lanka and find a nice place to live with a local family. Much better than a 5-star hotel, plenty of them in Hikkaduwa.

The "Tooth temple" near the elephant path with nice guesthouses and the best tea in the world in Kandi and an artificial lake is great to relax for a few days.

I feel free as a bird now and there's too many places I gotta see....

Then you can also visit the "end of the world", Nuara Elia.....( see photo)

Venezuela is also a great country to visit, but I'd never go back to Isle Margarita. The highest waterfall of this planet also called the Angel Falls ( please see photo) is an area where you can find plenty of nice tours, areas to live and hang out.

Sorry, all places have something that the others don't have.

invite-to-paradise-sri-lanka-holidays-honeymoons-horton-plains-worlds-end-9.jpg

Angel Falls.jpg

Vagator beach Goa.jpg

Mae Hong Son.jpg

Ko Samet.jpg

Bang Sal Phang Nga.jpg

Bankrut.jpg

12. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

It's Bali for me. I've met so many nice Balinese over the years. It's fun, relaxed, truly friendly, and rich in culture.

13. Internationalteacher

^^Great pics, Sirchai. Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't been to any of those places.

^Ah, I intend on going to Bali this year sometime if things work out. I'd love to hear your suggestions on what places in Bali you liked best.

I teach a Malaysian student who goes there a lot. He goes on about how amazing it is! I suggest checking out the new Shanghai Disney sometime. I've also heard raving reviews from many of my Chinese students.

14. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Top twelve:

1. Iceland- best seafood ever, clean, stylish, natural beauty, mysterious, interesting night life, European, northern lights

2. Kuala Lumpur- prosperous, delicious food, English-language bookstores, interesting architecture, a wild mix of people

3. Lyon- best food and wine on the planet; beautiful in the summer; it's France

4. Hawaii- it is a special place, extremely beautiful beaches, lots of high-quality Asian food; a wonderful place to relax

5. Tokyo- it's a hamster cage of humanity, with tunnels and wheels, but everything is there; the selection of alcohol is better in Tokyo than anywhere else in the world, low taxes on it too; see a Noh drama in the National Noh Theater (Sendagaya)

6. Wroclaw, Poland- historic, low prices, beer and sausages, Nazi buildings still standing; most of the good things about the city that survive are because of the Germans who lived there 65 years ago; formerly Breslau; read Norman Davies' book about the city, which begins In Medias Res--January, 1945 and the Russians are at the gates. "Microcosm: A Portrait of a Central European City"

7. Prague- probably one of the most romantic and fascinating places you could ever see, a nice symphony, elegant dining, a past that you can feel. Kafka is palpable.

8. Cottbus, Germany- a city in which time stopped, good German beer and dining; the whole of Brandenburg is interesting; winter is good, the summers are lyrical; noch eins bitte.

9. Kyoto- another special place, you can see what remains of Japan's rich past; it is Zen central; sumimasen, mo ippai kudasai.

10. Bangkok- stay in a five-star hotel; walk down to, and get level with, the Chao Phraya; see the Thai dancing exhibition across the river from the Oriental; eat in the French restaurant on top of the Sofitel on Sukhumvit 15; Joseph Conrad stayed at the Oriental.

11. Ubon- go see where Ajahn Chah rests; get a cheap, clean hotel and take it easy; wake up early and go the temple

12. Chiang Mai- even though it is no longer what it was twenty years ago, one can still indulge in the memories

Last edited: 15 Jan 2017
  15. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Talking about favourite vacation spots is difficult. The spots I like have all their own uniqueness. If you would ask me, where do I go or have gone frequently for vacation/ relaxing they are Koh Tao, Koh Samet, Kheng Krachan (Phetchaburi) and mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan (Ao Prachuap and Ao Manao).