1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the best schools?

Discussion in 'Schools you want to talk about' started by Matthew, 18 Dec 2010.

1. wjblaney

wjblaney New Member

Yes, um, I much appreciate the considerate replies. But it's not like it's actually hell. :devil: And I do plan to move on. Uh, which begs this question: what if i go at the end of the term instead of at the end of the contract? What are the consequences of breaking the contract (assuming my new employer hires me regardless)?

:cheers2:

2. luibkk

luibkk Well-Known Member

What's in your contract? Some contracts have a probation clause which will let you leave at the end of the probation period with no consequences at all. Some have a clause stating the terms of terminating the contract ( mine does, 3 months notice required). But there is always the visa, work permit and teaching permission to take into consideration when you switch jobs.
    Anyway, in my experience there are no other consequences than the ones mentioned above. In almost 9 years of teaching here I've seen many teachers quitting their jobs and have never heard of any problems.
    I'd rather go by the book and do things the legal way. So check your contract.

3. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

The school most suitable for each teacher depends on their perspective.

If you just want to teach and go home, than a school that insists on you attending meetings would not be your idea of bliss.

Those that like to intergrade with their students like a more involved approach.

Last year at my present school rejected my proposal to bring students on a field trip whereas they have agreed this semester.

As for contracts I have not heard of any teacher being blacklisted for not fullfilling a contract but on the other hand teachers whose resume are very long may not get an interview.

4. wjblaney

wjblaney New Member

Just checked: mine is 2 months notice required.

I didn't consider this. Does the work permit and waiver expire with the job? (I know the visa does not.)

:teacher:

5. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Last edited: 14 Aug 2012
  6. Wangsuda

I am wrong on this, sorry.
    Working in Thailand: What you need to know about work permits | DoingBusinessThailand.com

7. wjblaney

wjblaney New Member

Sure, np.

8. slamb

slamb Active Member

Sarasas schools have got to be the worst private schools in Bangkok at present. An increasingly heavy workload with starting salaries, annual increases & benefits slashed; I've heard Assumption are the same - with most private schools in Outer Bangkok offering 40-45k they are going to struggle.

Satit Rangsit offer a starting salary of 50k+ but advertise for new teachers (all subjects, all levels) as a matter of course; student behaviour & paperwork are the main bugbears I believe. On the other hand, Satit Ramkanghaeng is apparently a nice place to work & offers an equally fat salary which is why it's on my list for next year. :thumbsup2:

Siam International went bust a few years ago & the foreign teachers only got their outstanding wages (8+ months) because the Thai teachers took them to court. They are open again & by all reports under the same management.

In Nontaburi, I've observed a couple of schools, St Francis Xavier & Kasintorn St Peters, that offer 40-45k but regularly advertise so make your own mind up on those. :smile:

This is turning into a list of 'bad' schools but I think the majority of private schools in Bangkok are the same - just different bullshit.

My mate left last year & switched to Ek Barupa in Minburi, one of the lesser known schools. They pay 45k but more importantly it's low stress with projectors in every room, <18 periods, minimum paperwork but they only employ NES. There's a job coming up there next month but I think I'll duke it out here to get a year's G12 maths experience.

Hope this all helps. :hilarious:

9. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

Is there any Teacher out there that is happy with both salary and their conditions?

Will a Thai school that usually only hires foreign Teachers with an educational degree hire someone who has obtained a Thai Teaching Licence after taking the tests?

10. MisterStretch

MisterStretch Guru di guru-guru Ingeris

I would imagine so, as the newly licensed teacher will be legal by all counts in Thailand.

Different strokes for different folks, but that person is actually now a certified teacher - at least in Thailand.

Lots of folks are happy with their situations here. But like in any job, there are days, or weeks that seem just a little bit more than should be bearable.

11. Dubarry

Dubarry Active Member

My school is great and I'm very happy there but the pay needs to be supplimented with contract work.

12. MisterStretch

MisterStretch Guru di guru-guru Ingeris

^ Yeah, that is the greatest downfall here; salaries have been fairly stagnant for several years and now with the latest "trick" of only offering 10-month contracts, teachers are getting screwed even worse.

13. hhiser

hhiser New Member

I only wish. Sounds like Korea!

- - - Updated - - -

My school claimed we were being paid the maximum salary allowed for froeign teachers.

14. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

When I started I was ok with the salary and happy about the conditions, now I am ok with the conditions and happy about the salary...

15. Wangsuda

I'm close - three weeks in October, and two months during school year break.
    Got that.
    Not automatic (cause we have to review and sign the new contract) but other than that - got it.
    Not got that.

I do have less than 80 students and only 15 contact hours a week. So I guess I have the best job in Thailand. :happy1: