1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Weird Facebook requests - what's up?!

Discussion in 'Computers and Electronics' started by Clown, 12 Dec 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Just got another one with no friends. WTH would someone who has no FB friends seek out yours truly?

Are these bots?

I've had such requests over the years. But am in the dark as to what's going on.

Q: What's your take? Are you getting such friend requests? (Strangers, with no other friends)??

2. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

I pity them, especially those from the subcontinent who seem desperate to start chatting...a quick delete returns them to the darkness from l whence they came

3. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Once you add a new "friend" ( I just deleted 400+..) there's sometimes the question whom you'd suggest for XXX.

I really started to dislike FB and all the invitations to play certain games ( that might come from robots) and the possibility that anybody can steal your photos, doesn't make it to a better one.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

A new account always starts with 0 friends.

5. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A new account always starts with 0 friends.

Why me, a random stranger?!? But then, I seem to be trustworthy as Nigerian princesses and African heirs with my surname (:laughing5 ) keep seeking me out to take their millions. By now, I could be a billionaire before taxes. :drinking

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

You can have the contact details of a real Nigerian princess. Worth 300 million bucks.

Internationalteacher likes this.
  7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I'm not a FB fan. My wife is, and when the VPN is healthy I have standing orders to "like" her crap. How many more selfies taken at a bus stop or of us at a restaurant must I "like"?

But I digress . . .

Anyway, look at the "find friends" search box and play with the search parameters. You might answer your own question as to why you're being targeted.

I would guess people are looking for an expat, searching for citizens from a NES country and other European countries who are living in Asian countries. Employment and marital status might be other criteria. I don't know. I've never sought FB friends. It can't be that difficult, though.

Once you figure how you can be found, it seems that all you need to do is "hide" your nationality or some other personal info and that will stop you from receiving friend requests from African royalty.

8. IntEdSource

IntEdSource Member

I've been using Facebook since 2008 and have never had any apparent bot friend requests (or at least none that I'm aware of). Occasionally I've gotten requests from people I don't know, but their accounts looked entirely real, complete with plenty of photos and posts.

Email on the other hand...well, here's one of the latest ones from my spam box. :)

"From Mrs. Kadidja Fofana

Hello Beloved One,
    Greeting to you in the name of God, I know it may surprise you to receive this kind of message from a stranger but notwithstanding, I humbly ask you to please give me your attention because my message is all for good,
    My name is Mrs. Kadidja Fofana from Bamako Mali, I am married to a former minister of Mali who was killed during this recent political uprising and presently I and my two children are living in the republic of Cote D'Ivoire being our neighboring country.

I am contacting you with regards to my search for foreign business partner, my late husband has deposited a reasonable amount of money in the bank here and my wish is to have the fund released and transferred out of this country under your care, I intend to invest in your country into real estate business/ Agriculture projects ETC, I am also willing to invest into any other legitimate ventures that you might introduce me into, as long as it is genuine of which I want you to advise and execute the said venture over there for the mutual benefits of both of us. I am seeking for your assistance because it is not safe for me to invest in my own country due to frequent political unrest and other circumstances.

I need an environment where I can live in peace and invest the money without fear and the protection and safety of my two children is of highly importance to me,I need a foreign partner that can receive the fund and assist us with the investment over there in your country. Like I said before, I intend to go into real estate business but all will depend on your own idea suggestions.

Please contact me as soon as possible on my private email (***********) Reply so that I will give you full details about myself and the project.
    I am eagerly waiting to receive your response soonest so that I will know my next step.
    Thanks for your time and have a pleasant moment.
    Faithfully Yours,
    Mrs. Kadidja Fofana"

9. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher AKA phuketbound

^Haha! I get crazy stuff like that too.

In regards to people with 0 friends, they are probably scammers/hackers. I recently had my fb hacked. In that, someone claiming to be me started adding my friends. Someone told me that they got a friend request from me and I said it isn't me and don't accept. Eventually fb asked me if it was me, and I said no, and they deleted the hacker. I don't really trust fb since that happened. Although, having said that I use it a lot to talk to friends and family all over the world (with a Vpn of course).

IntEdSource likes this.
  10. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher AKA phuketbound

No, thanks, but I'll take Nigerian Prince. lol. :celebrate2

sirchai likes this.
  11. sirchai

Okay, then please think about the 100 million Euros. Happy New Year. Mine didn't start that well.

12. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

this just in: I received a lovely note from (Mrs.) Nduja K. Awelo of Mali, wife of a former minister in the government there. She sends her blessings and the distressing information that her husband left tens of millions of USD to her in his will. The poor dear is in search of a business partner and a convenient bank account in which to deposit her cash. Unfortunately, I'm already in contact with a former Nigerian king who has a similar need. If, however, any impoverished "family values" tefler here would like to enter into a potentially lucrative business arrangement, I'll forward her email address:thumbs up.

13. keeshou

keeshou Laoshi

What would be the point of friending someone you do not know?

14. Davman

Davman Member

Don't worry just the NSA keeping tabs.

15. Chan Chan

Chan Chan New Member

These might be part of click farm types of operations that create loads of profiles and need to make them look real.