1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help We were asked to pay for our work permits

Discussion in 'Employment Contracts' started by Clown, 31 Aug 2016.

1. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

biggest reason being they don't want to work with a twat… fuck you… good night

2. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Again. YOU are WORTH more. I'm sorry that you've given in to the oppressors.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Very nice, SundayJam. Impossible in my town. So I'm not ashamed. The highest salary I had in town was 42,500 THB. This was from 2005 until 2012 when money in EPs still could flow freely. That has changed.

Currently the highest salary is given to a NES working for 8 years in the same school and earns 39,000 THB. Highest NNES is a Filipino female working 11 years in the same school and earns 36,000 THB. Common work load in town is up to 18 periods of 50 minutes. Paid holidays in April and October.

4. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Stamp, I am on the same salary as your good self. The salary is without doubt low. But if I may interject in this flow to give some words offering my own opinion on "worth".

The 16 periods of 45-50 minutes and relative freedom to not be chained to my class/desk/school offer me a lifestyle that suits my own personal needs. My two young children get to see more of their dad than would be possible if I were to live and work in my birth country or a high paying yet more demanding position elsewhere in the Kingdom.

As you rightly say the salary can be and in my own case is supplemented by special tuition classes. I could pull in more than a home qualified teacher if I were to choose to do so, but that brings me back to the original point I intended to offer.

Placing one's worth in monetary terms is so self depreciating and accusing others of doing so shows a certain lack of understanding. An understanding that monetary gain is not the sole aim for many, myself included. Your allowance to let this thread run in spite of the language has been an enlightened decision, for it is possible to see many things of true character within the goading words of one particular member.

marcusb likes this.
  5. SundayJam

I had a good friend at one of my earlier schools who commented that the director always said that he was the ONLY teacher at the school who NEVER asked for a raise. When I talked to him later, he said they began paying him even less. He liked living in his little bubble.

Are we in this only for the money? Have you truly seen my character? You know nothing. On one hellish bus to a former hellish school, another teacher-looking guy turned to me as I got off the bus and said, "Let me ask you this. Did you ever in your life imagine yourself doing this kind of thing?" I didn't but I don't regret it at all. It is interesting how everyone views the same commentary differently.

6. bahn_farang

I am a little confused.
    and yet
    and
    further

Perhaps I have mistaken your comments, perhaps after all you were showing an ability to win friends with your quality intelligent debate. Then again perhaps not

7. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Seeings we're way off topic and going on an AJ rantathon ....It's Sunday, a day of rest, be mellow and enjoy this video to put it all into perspective.

Yeah mann love and peace to all T-shirts in Los, rich or poor.

bahn_farang likes this.
  8. SundayJam

The point is that a school should pay a decent wage with a decent workload and cover all work related expenses. By accepting substandard, you reward unethical employment practices. True, if it's the only employer in the town that you want to be in...then you're just unlucky. If I came across as belittling someone's wage, I'm sorry. I don't know your situation.

Off to get a 2 hour Thai massage. Peace out, all.

Stamp likes this.
  9. bahn_farang

Respect for the apology and have a good massage. It would certainly be splitting hairs for me to say that a contract is entered into willingly so not really a case of unethical employment practises but certainly the sentiment of a fair wage for fair work I am in agreement with as I am regarding the work permit costs.

As for luck, well we make our own.

10. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

I'm really sorry you and your colleagues get paid so little. The whole argument of WP and visa reimbursements pale in comparison…really.

If I came across as belittling someone's wage, I'm sorry. I don't know your situation.

sorry man, thats exactly what you did. Not kind of… exactly… Many, many of us here are content, its a lifestyle…. Age plays a big part, a 40 year old with a thai wife and 2 kids needs to be aggressive in the market.. Semi retired guys need something to do, and the cheque is a bonus…. Never belittle someone for what their choice is. We are all here under different circumstances.

bottom line, one has to look at the whole contract, WP, holidays, how many months pay per year. Its the whole contract, not just the Wp.

sirchai, bahn_farang and Stamp like this.
  11. bahn_farang

not always the case. :smiling

12. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I always forked out the cash for my WP and visa, and the salary was not very exciting (28,000 Baht) at the public university I worked for in Isaan. But I taught a lot of special classes at night and on the weekends, and those were better compensated. One earned me 62,000 Baht (a graduate course on the weekends), one paid 30,000 (after I went to the police to get the university to finally pay me--I am laughing about this now, but I sure wasn't then), and most of them paid 15,000. So I figure that my pay averaged out to 40,000 a month. Not bad. There were always tricks to try and take a slice of the pay of the foreign teachers, but tricksters tend to lose in the long run.

Clown, marcusb, sirchai and 1 other person like this.
  13. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

The law is m o n e y.

Clown likes this.
  14. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Well-Known Member

I gather that, strictly speaking the employer is responsible for the work permit and fee. In practice the Labour Department doesn't care who does it and pays, as long as it is done.

Where I am at (PKRU) the foreign employee pays for the initial Work Permit. We front for renewals (for work permit and visa) but can claim reimbursement….. a concession won a few years back. Before that we paid and that was that.