1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help We were asked to pay for our work permits

Discussion in 'Employment Contracts' started by Clown, 31 Aug 2016.

1. Clown

Clown Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Any comments? What's the law?

2. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the law but I know the attitude - if you don't like it you can leave.

3. mike123_ca

mike123_ca Active Member

Did the school pay for the work permits last year?
    Some schools will pay for it whereas others will not.
    You will have to negotiate with the school.

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

No law on this one.

The three OBEC schools in town I worked for reimbursed the costs and so did the Rajabhat University. However, I know of schools in town where the foreign teachers have to pay the costs.

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Some schools reimburse the full amount, some schools half of it and some schools let the foreigner pay.

There's no law saying who's got to pay, but it says a lot how much the foreigners are really liked.

Maybe you can make am compromise and they pay half? It's only a matter how you're doing that, best way to do it in a way that they believe the idea is from them.

Good luck.

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Forgot to ask.

What kind of school?

It seems for example that public universities, Rajabhats and the like, have a policy to pay the costs of both work permit and extension of stay. I think also related to the low salary of 20,780 + 8,000 THB.

7. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Last edited: 1 Sep 2016
    Stamp likes this.
  8. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

never paid for the WP in 13 years at this school until last year and the whore in charge changed the rules and screamed, not said, farrang pay for own WP and VISA, shccool not pay noffing for farrang. needless to say I am the last NE there and I leave 30th this month. they want flips, so they can pay peanuts and get them to be grateful for a job.

9. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I can think of one language center where I would pay for my WP.
    This can be a good thing.
    For the next few years, I cannot work full time and receive some retirement benefits from the US. Nobody is going to pay for a WP for a part time teacher. But, upon my return to Syam, if I pay for my own, my part time status should not be a problem. Age, yes, but my teaching license will have a year left on it.

10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Have never and would never

11. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

Really, If another school offered you an extra 10,000 a month but you had to pay your WP you would turn it down?

12. bahn_farang

For an extra 10000 per month to be honest the answer is still no. it (for me anyway) is the principle or rather the statement it makes that the wp is covered by the school.

13. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

up to you… principles don't buy groceries…. but I understand, I've done some questionable things on principle and did feel good about it.

Three foreigners at my last uni, I was hired under a different program than them. They teased me because I had to pay for my WP. They were at 28,600 I was at 32,500. I didn't mind.

14. bahn_farang

respectfully agree
    thankfully i'm not on the bread line
    reload and refer to comment one

15. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I haven't paid for my own visa or work permit in the 7 years I've been at my school, except for when my Khrusapa waiver has fallen midway through the year and I've needed to renew my visa twice in the same year, however that's only been the visa to pay for. The majority of our foreign teachers have been at the school for between 5-10 years, with some old salts staying put for nearly 15 years so I think our place is doing something right. If you look at the other schools who dick people around with WP/Visa and many other issues, go through countless teachers over a single academic year.....what a surprise. It's not rocket science.

Any school who doesn't pay for the WP and visa, sends a very strong message about how they are likely to value and treat their foreign teachers.

bahn_farang likes this.