1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiver Updates 2017

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 16 Dec 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

It really all depends on if someone is staying at the same school for many years. I've met guys who didn't just get the 3rd, some even received the 4th waiver or provisional Tl.

I'll never forget when I'd quit my job and ran into the gloved guy shouting at me: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

And there are about twenty stickers in English: "WE love teachers."

But an older lady then told me to pick my third waiver up and even pointed out that I might be able to apply for the full license.

But I had no chance to even talk to the lady again when the nightmare gave me my waiver without a word two hours later.

Nightmare on Elmsstreet.jpg

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

My colleague, a female from Cameroon, who has been teaching at my school for 4+ years already, just confirmed today that she obtained her third provisional teaching permit last week without having done any development to meet the TCT requirements. :thumbs up

3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Whilst I am happy for your colleague, I would really like to see more uniform application of the rules. Uniformity would result in those attempting to remain in the profession having a clearer idea of what they need to do.

4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

Thx for the replies. So there's 4 teachers with no worries obtaining 3rd waivers without any professional development. Possibly a key point too is that they are all at the same school like mine for a 4th, but maybe not as no reports back from others jumping schools yet.

Yes the 'rules' are there but the 'application' thereof appears to be ignored often ....but then when has it ever been different with the TCT? (Please see a zillion comments since TT started).

Of late as well the rumours of TCT disbandment in the near future and if so why would they care about the rules? Yes its a shambles, always has been, probably always will be ...thus as we can see it is very possible to obtain that next waiver for many.

All I can say as for the 'gold carders' ...well done it makes you more employable and gives you peace of mind. As to the waiver runners ... well done yer still teaching legally, but keep an eye on dem dare goalposts.

sirchai likes this.
  5. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I often think of my good fortune of having jumped through the hoops when the TCT TKT was still with us.

It seems that the least that TCT could do is grant a one-year waiver to those who passed Sections 2, 3, or 4 &/or did the culture course.

6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

What about the permission to teach legally after let's say ten years, or even less?

What about something similar to a green card for those who've always worked legally with the right visa and work permit, never done something against the law, and married to Thai women with kids?

I just had to corrected an older woman who picked up a little Anuban child, pointing at me and telling the kid: "Farang"...and I had to tell her sorry, but I'm a Khun Dangchaat. Her stupid look was disgusting.

Our SS number doesn't even really exist, it's just another made up thingy and not readable on any of these computers. Yes, we pay in but we don't have equal rights. No idea if any of you knew that?

A female Thai teacher who marries a foreigner can easily get him in within an blink of an eye.

No degree of this planet is as good as the experience teaching in a Thai classroom with all the ups and downs. If that doesn't count as personal development, then please forgive me.

I've got plenty of documents showing professional development in all these years and I think I'm good until I retire. ( Of course only when all goes well with my "gold card.")

Would the TCT jump in and restrict certain agencies and self made agents who only rip people off, it would be a great step forwards.

These agencies are one more reason for the poor educational performance when it comes to the poor English skills of so many students, they made way too many fishy contracts where schools are following up now and more and more government schools only offer a ten month contract now.

There's an old saying in my country: " On each train is an idiot." I'd never sign a 10 months contract and such contracts wouldn't exist if people would just not sign them. Then they would have to go back to a 12 months contract.

Not too many members of this forum were language or subject teachers before, but a lot of us have invested a lot of time, energy, but also good money into this system.

I think any of us can just walk into a classroom and give a superb lesson without having time for any preparation, while so many agency teachers would still think about how to write a lesson plan.

I'm not blaming the guys who are working for the agencies, but the staff of agencies who let backpackers become teachers, just on the grounds that they come from an English speaking country with the only goal to make as much money as possible in a short period of time.

Nope, we can't blame Thai English teachers for the poor performance in general, there's a lot more behind it.

All I've seen in the last years was going backwards and I only assume that I'm not the only one.

I haven't been so naked in many years and really live off my 33 K salary, after paying for my Diploma, a new TV, a PC for our son and a couple of other things we really needed.

Anything that hits me with 5 K + now is already a problem and I'm light years away to take my family to Europe.

I always had around 100 K for any emergency situation that can easily occur. Now I realize how difficult it can be to live off a salary only. My weekend sessions are already paid for and I'll have to look for a few more students now.

My apologies for the long mail, I just came back from 6 straight hours and still got my flu, now more than a week long. It seems that I'm not the only one who started to see all with a different view and things might change very soon.

I might look into a teaching position in an European country, the Turkish offer I had didn't really turn me on. I might die in a week, a coconut could kill me, or only Buddha knows what. Cheers- :angy10

Mr. Chips likes this.
  7. muppetminder

muppetminder Active Member

I had stated this upon joining but it might be worth repeating.

I was granted a third waiver for my third school. The school was allegedly told it was my last (unless I stay there). I wouldn't stay even on threat of death.

I'd be rolling the dice on number four except I'm going to take a year plus off and do some travelling with waifu.

This last job has really done my head in. I'm in no rush to return but when I do I will be submitting the SOS plus...

1. California substitute credential for 2016-18.

2. Certificate of attendance to bs seminar.

3. Solid package of original documentation. Including diploma from top tier US university (BA).

4. Photocopy of my middle finger

I want to teach for another 1-3 years and done.

8. michaelguk

michaelguk New Member

Looking for comments/advice/suggestions:

I have used 1 teaching licence waiver. In September I will do a PGCE Primary in the U.K. after which I intend to return to Thailand. I have not done a Thai Culture course before, due to either the scarcity of information oe hearing that it been scrapped. Once I am employed on my return would my school need to use another teaching licence waiver? Looking for some solid info please based on experience (as current as possible).

9. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

If you have a PGCE or other education related credential (Dip.Ed, Dip.T, B.Ed, M.Ed, MA.T, etc) for as long as there is no "authorized" culture course you have nothing to worry about.
    You can waiver until you are blue in the face and the moon turns rainbow colors.
    Once a new Culture Course is authorized, take it and get your license.