1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiver Updates 2017

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 16 Dec 2016.

1. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

Congratulations GBG I know you had your bases covered but good job nonetheless!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  2. daiwill

daiwill Member

Which section of the Khurusapa site do you need to open to check your waiver status ?

3. tiredtony

tiredtony Well-Known Member

You didn't need a degree when I did my course in Feb 2011

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

Thanks for that Tony and yep thinking back to 2010 noboby asked to see my degree. The rules are now qualifications that cover the educational credits required, e.g. B Ed, M Ed, Dip Ed to then sign up for the Thai Culture Course (TCC).

5. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

คุรุสภา

Waiver search.png

Just checked and works fine, but after 'please wait', says 'data not found' ....click 'ok' and wait 5 or 10 seconds then data is displayed below.

Stamp likes this.
  6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Makes perfect sense that you need a Thai culture course after 15 years of living here. And the old one is expired.

Is Thainess a new part of the course? Happy New Mia Nois for all.

7. Philip

Philip New Member

Hi
    I have a question about waivers – there seems a lot of info but I cannot find an answer that that quite fits my situation.
    I have been working one year at a country government school in Nakhon Ratchasima – with a "teacher's permit without a licence" and work permit. I have an I.T. degree and a post grad – but not in Education. I have done no studies in Thailand.

My school has just announced that they are “closing the English program, but another school in town wants you”.

My understanding is that this means I must “renew” to a second permit, which then appears to mean I must have an enrolment in a course of some sort. Is this correct?
    I am unlikely to continue teaching more than a year or two as I am 64 already – so enrolling in courses is not my preferred option. Is there a simple course of action to continue teaching at a different school?
    My emails to krusapha go unanswered.
    Thanks

8. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Hello Phillip and welcome to Thailand Teaching.

So I take it by this you are already on a 2 year waiver from Khurusapha. (this waiver once you leave the place of employment becomes null and void and thus a new waiver has to be applied for the new place of employment ...waivers cannot be 'carried over')

So if you go to a new school then yes as the place of work changes ...I did this before and had to get an entire new work permit but I have heard of others being able to change the place of work in the original permit ....either route/way won't be a problem and this is for your new school to sort out the paperwork needs accordingly.

Not necessarily if its only a second waiver you are applying for. If 3rd or 4th waiver then it can become tricky ...please read in this thread from OP as to this.

Good luck Phillip and yes as you said at your age you don't really want to start on further courses and at expense too. If there are further problems in taking this 2nd job offered then look for somewhere that isn't connected to the TCT e.g. demonstration schools within Unis often are not at the whims of the TCT, via an agency placement sometimes works too.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2017
    Stamp likes this.
  9. gungchang

gungchang Over the hill for at least the 6th time!

When I did mine, it seemed that everybody present had been in country for about ten years.

For some reason, they thought I was just off the plane and had come from the airport. In fact, I had come to SalaYa from Jatujak.

sirchai likes this.
  10. Philip

Philip New Member

My thanks for your quick and helpful reply.
    Yes - I have a two year waiver from Khurusapha (one year to go).
    My work permit expires 31/3 and I am still waiting to hear official confirmation from the new school - and the Area Office now seems to manage all contracts (who are not overly quick) - so my chances of a contract plus paperwork before 31/3 seem zero.
    The tentative plan is therefore to return to Australia for the school holidays, return on a tourist visa late May and pursue the paperwork -> a business visa -> licence -> work permit, as I did last time. Is that how it works?

I was getting the impression that it was "too difficult", but now you give the impression that you think it is practical?
    I have many contacts here and I do not expect that a job will be difficult to locate (in the gov. system) - but the paperwork concerns me.
    Thanks

11. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

^ No worries Phillip. As said before, if the current one is your 1st waiver then you 'should' be good for a second.

If you return to OZ, try and get just a letter of employment offered from the new school in English. This job offer letter will then allow you to apply for a 90 day Non-immigration 'B' visa in OZ, which then can be converted to the end duration date of your contract with the school once back here in Thailand and employment commenced (work permit and TCT waiver being done in between when in actual employment and must be done within those 90 days of initial B visa). IMO better than coming back in say May/June on a tourist visa ...and surely if they want you then they should be able to furnish you with a 'Job offer' letter suitable for a Thai embassy abroad.

Good luck again.

12. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Sabai Dee, Philip?

Educational offices always have to issue one document stating that you’re employed at school XXX, but such a letter can be done in less than one week.

The school’s usually applying for this letter, so please get in touch with the new school and make sure that they didn’t forget you.

Some schools might look for teachers, but they won’t tell you that. The contract, therefore, has got nothing to do with the document from the particular educational area office.

The contract is only made between the school and you, a different document is usually issued by the school and send (brought) to the local office.

If a school would need this document within two days, there are certain ways to be successful.

Your idea to come back in late May on a tourist visa isn’t a great one. Most “ordinary” primary and high schools start the new academic year around the 15th of May and want their new teachers around a couple of days before.

If you really have so many contacts, please try to get a contract or at least a letter that school XXX in ZZZ will hire you as a teacher on day BBB of month FFF.

With such a contract or letter with a contact number- e-mail address, you’ll easily receive a 90-day Non-B visa at a Thai consulate. (There are Aussies working, so way easier to be successful). Embassies are (can be) a pain in the arse, to be honest.

Such a visa can’t just be canceled should the actual job turn sour and it will give you time to look for another one. Best of luck.

13. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

A mate of mine working at another government high school in town was granted his third provisional teaching permit at the same school without being enrolled in a graduate diploma course or having done any other development to meet the TCT requirements.

14. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Member

Great news and update. Thanks Stamp!

15. Ajarn P. Paul

Ajarn P. Paul มันเป็นวันที่น่าเศร้าในวันนี้ในประเทศไทย ...

Yes. It's really happening.

Two mates of mine working at a government school in a Northeastern province were both granted their 3th provisional teaching permit at the same school without being enrolled in a graduate diploma course or having done any other development to meet the TCT requirements.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! and sirchai like this.