1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-O visa for a child of non-Thais

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by chuachinsoon, 9 Mar 2017.

1. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm back. And boy, have I got a question. One of my colleagues was told that she needs to get a visa for her son. He's 2 years old. Both she and her husband are Filipino, and they're both working here in Thailand as teachers. What documents do they need to apply for a non-O visa for him? Their family is going back to the Philippines for a visit in April, and will be applying for the visa then.

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

the kids of the foreign teachers here are here on Ed visas, not non-o ... idk

3. chuachinsoon

But 2 years old - on an ed visa? o.O

4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I think the child can stay on a dependent extension of stay. Reason of Necessity 2.11, Police Order 327/2555.

I don't know what's needed for applying for the visa but I guess it'll be the same as for the extension.

Criteria and Conditions for Temporary Stay - Immigration Order 327/2557 | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

5. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

They (children of non-Thai parents) can get a non-O as "dependent family" members of a person with a non-immigrant visa.

They (the parents) will need an authenticated birth certificate to prove the family relationship.
    If they are getting it (the non-o) in the Philippines then they need an NSO copy of the birth certificate.
    The non-O visa is good for a single entry and 90-day period of stay.

They will need to get a DFA red-ribbon on the NSO copy before their return to Thailand and after their return to Thailand that red-ribbon copy of the NSO birth cert will need to be re-authenticated for use in Thailand by the MFA at Chegwattana.
    This will be needed for the visa extension so the child's visa will match the parents allowed period of stay.

Alternatively, the child can return to Thailand on a 30-day tourist entry or 60-day TR visa and do a change of status to non-O at their local immigration office provided at least one of the parents is on a non-B and has a work permit. The change of status must be done within 15 days of arrival if the child is on a 30-day entry or 15 days before expiry if the child is on a 60-day TR visa. They will still need the authenticated copy of the birth certificate or Philippine birth registration (the one they got at the embassy when they registered the child's birth).

chuachinsoon likes this.
  6. chuachinsoon

Thank you! :)

7. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

I just got back from immigration for our daughters non-O.
    In addition to the birth certificate you will also need a copy of the wedding certificate.
    It will also need to be NSO and when you do the extension here it will need the Philippine DFA re-ribbon and Thai MFA sticker.

chuachinsoon and Stamp like this.
  8. chuachinsoon

Thank you again! : )

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

Kindergarten 1 & 3 ... works out to 2 or 3 and 5 or 6

sirchai likes this.
  10. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Quite interesting. What I don't understand is the legality of my colleague's kids, 4, 8 and 13 years old.
    All attend Thai schools, but none is having a visa/permission of stay. Parents are both Filipinos.

I understand that kids do not get fined, but I assume that the Thai Immigration would ask some serious questions?

Stamp likes this.
  11. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

My wife, a Filipino, left Thailand to join me in China on Thursday 16.03.17 accompanied by our two kids, both British citizens holding British passports. Both had 3+ year overstays. My seven year old son had his overstay stamped in his passport, my five year old daughter simply exited with a standard exit stamp on passport. My wife was asked: where's the father? No other questions.

All three had Chinese S1 dependent visas issued by the Chinese embassy in Bangkok.

We always thought it was a waste of money getting our kids visas etc if there was no enforcement against minors. For China it is different - no visa, no entry. But once you're in it's pretty simple - no 90 day reporting, no re-entry permits etc. They reported their arrival to the police on Thursday afternoon. My wife will have a medical check on Monday. This should then lead to a Residence Permit, a sticker in the passport, being issued within 30 days and once they have that they can come and go as they wish for its validity. The absence of any inconvenience, significant expense or burdensome rigmarole makes for an interesting contrast with LOS.

12. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:bouncing

portnoy58 likes this.
  13. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Happy days Portnoy:thumbs up

portnoy58 likes this.
  14. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Congratulations for the easy procedure. :thumbs up

Your kids are holding a Britsh passport, but what would they've done if your kids were from your wife's first marriage and 100 % Filipinos?

I guess I know the answer already. :flim

Would your older son now try to get into Thailand, they could deny entry, am I right? :idea

I hope you've got a great job, no pollution and you'll love the country.

Do you have to pay for your kids' tuition?

15. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

He can re-enter any time he wants; we'll be back in July to sell up and he's coming too!
    Same old, same old but a lot more money! The pollution is tolerable. I wouldn't say I love China but it is a really interesting place to live in.
    No, they go free.

sirchai and bahn_farang like this.