1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VISA extended, but Work Permit denied......

Discussion in 'Work permits' started by FedUp, 31 Mar 2014.

1. FedUp

FedUp Thread Starter New Member

Single and female. I don't know my exact VISA status but as mentioned I did leave the country and return, without any fanfare. The big question is actually teaching(aka working) without the WP in hand. During the holiday period, I think one can safely assume no one gives a rats arse about it or her. Knowing the answers and solutions has its advantages and why I posted in the first place. These decisions should not be made in a state of hysteria or anger. Calm firm action is better.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I have not asked them. I see no advantage in asking questions of them when the answer can vary as I said based upon mood and general atmosphere in said office, time of day, etc.. That combined with the fact I don't know the legally allowed time frame. I also remain convinced a school could intervene and get it all done quickly. A school could get the TCT to write the gosh darn waiver. Directors have contacts and are certainly going to get more caring and results than one foreign teacher, even a female one.

2. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

So there's no advantage in asking on the forum, is there?

Is there one? If you ask them or your lawyer friend you might get an answer.

It's possible. Have you/has she asked the school in question? What was their response? Have you/has she told them the full facts and that you/she will not get a further waiver and will be very unlikely to get a WP (unless the school intervenes)? My opinion is that that is the correct thing to do. The picture will be clearer after that and decisions can be made.

3. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

I went back to the UK for Songkran and when going through passport control, I was asked for my WP. I looked confused and he (immi man) told me it was to make sure I actually had a WP as I was on a visa based on work. now I don't know if he just randomly picked me or if this is a new thing with immi. (luckily I had my WP with me)

Mr Pete and steveolevi like this.
  4. Mister T

Mister T Retired, fat and happy

Another example of why employees should keep the WP, not the school.

5. evl

evl Active Member

Unless he suspected the visa was fake, I don't see that it's any of his business to be checking work permits: how would you have the visa without a work permit??? :confused: Did he trust the work permit, or did he want to see your degree and transcript too? Ridiculous. Welcome to Thailand where we make things up as we go along... without telling anyone.

6. Rastus

Rastus Well-Known Member

You don't need a work permit to get a visa but you do need one to get an extension of stay based on work. On the face of it, it does seem a bit silly to be checking for a WP at the border but I suppose it depends on the exact circumstances at the time.

On the back page of the work permit booklet it says:

Warning
    1. A permit holder must keep the permit with him or at the place of work during working hours in order that it may be readily shown to the competent official or the Registrar. Any violation thereof shall be liable to a fine not eceeding one thousand Baht.

7. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

mmm, next time I will tell him EVL says fu%$ off you have no business checking my WP :smile2:

8. magnumforce

magnumforce Active Member

At Suvarnabhumi???

9. dave123

dave123 Smurf Diver

Yep.