1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-B Visa And Work Permit Extension In Only 75 Minutes?

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by sirchai, 27 Apr 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sawasdee khrap,

I hope that I don't get banned/raped for using a foreign language that's not English.<?>"[_)(>

I just wanted to share how "stressful" my renewal of visa and work permit yesterday was.

8.30: Went to school to sign my contract, but nobody was there. ( Thai clocks tick differently) Mrs. Misscoordinator and the big man arrived 90 minutes later. Mrs. had a fight with her printer and couldn't print. Maybe she forgot that we've also got printers at school?- memory stick- print job done.

11.00: Took the woman and my wife who had to make a guarantee for me ( now the third year in a roll, Filipinos are excluded, because I "make more money.?" out to lunch.

11.50: After dropping wife and Thai women off, I walked into the Immigration. One farang, hopefully metisdeath, forgot one document and they told him to come back, so no waiting at all.

12. 15: Left Immigration with a brand new visa extension that still had the smell of fresh paint on it. The usually needed documents were not needed. My contract, my copies of passport and WP was enough.
    The chat with my friend the Sergeant Major had not much to do with the visa itself and I could sell her one of our puppies, which she then picked up at 2 pm.

13.10: Arrived at the LD, of course was the letter of employment missing. Misscoordinator knew it, I've told her thrice, but finally it wasn't a problem. Told them: "Poo Ooo bai Diaeu leo

."Then the question when filling out the form: "Do you need it today?" Hmm, yes, thanks. Sure, Ma'm.

14.00 : Left the LD with an extended WP and a new visa and a smile in my face.

14.10: Immigration picks up a puppy and leaves my place happily.

A total of 1 hour and 15 minutes for both ain't that bad, or? Life's good.

Visa for lazy teacher 001.jpg

Hey_ewe and Stamp like this.
  2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

TCT provisional teaching permit?

3. sirchai

Nope. The "trainer" contract was given to me from the Immigration officer as an example two months. Then I saw that it was a friend's contract from the local Anuban, stating his real income, he topped it by a few K to look better?

I really don't understand why some foreigners here have to lie so much about things they don't really have. And it's only a matter of time to find out the truth.

In my WP, I'm still a Curriculum Designer, but nobody seemed to care. Just got a job offer from a Chinese University to lecture German...but only 6 K, which is 800 baht less what I'm making now.

Both, Immigration and LD know me since 11 years, a sort of a "home game...."

Stamp likes this.
  4. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

It's not normally a straight forward process, however this year was pretty quick and smooth for me too and it was all done and dusted 6 weeks before the deadline.

At my school, we don't have our full salary on our employment contracts, just the base rate. We used to be paid the extra amount in cash, now they pay it directly into our bank accounts and the full figure goes on our tax returns. The boss said there was a government limit on how much they could pay foreign teachers, no idea if thats true or not, as long as the amount that goes into my account stays the same!

5. sirchai

There's a discussion on another forum just recently and one poster said the same.

Going down from 40 K to 30 K/month.

I really hope that this is not affecting you. BTW, there's no government limit, but true lies from pickpockets.

The problem when they confront you with bs like that last minute might be that it's very/too late now to find a decent job. And they know that very well. Never underestimate others.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  6. Hey_ewe

Fortunately we aren't affected by it, however if that happened then it would be time for me to leave. A huge pay drop would be bad enough, but knowing it was being pocketed would be too much for me to tolerate!

My school give us a pay rise every year, it's not in the contract but we get the full rate without fail. I've been there a few years and I trust our boss not to go back on it.

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

I could have gone down that path with a letter ( which I've got) from the institution where I'm doing the "upgrade of my degree" and could have had another two year waiver without problems.

I'll have to drive to Bangkok on the 3rd of May, having a doctor's appointment and was really not in the mood to visit the gloved guy at Khurusapha, also considering financial difficulties. And my visa would have ran out on the 30th this month.

When Immigration then gave me an example how they wanted the contract formulated and I could save money, stress and maybe a big headache by not contacting the TCT, it was more "convenient" to follow the Immigration's advice/ way.

Fortunately, are the Immigration and the DoL in my corner so easy going that I bypassed the institution with an Admiral as their boss. I'm fully aware that this would not have happened like that in most other provinces.

Finally, it's not changing anything for me and I'll hopefully receive my full license soon after graduation in October.

8. sirchai

It's great to know that there're other schools around where people are treated as human beings.

Haven't had a pay raise last year and the contract this year says the same old number 33.

I've just signed a new contract ( 3rd one) because I was sure that they'll hire at least one, maybe two NES teachers who know what they're doing. But I've heard that there's no money and other lies.

Three EP classes taught by me alone? I do have a backup plan and can only hope that somebody shows up when school starts.

Not even the best teacher on this planet could teach 3 EP classes English plus two subjects.

One class a' nine hours, times three. My ex co- teacher, the new Thai homeroom teacher just lost her position because some others said she "couldn't control the students".

Not being in the EP anymore will also mean a huge pay cut of her salary. And the woman isn't just good looking, she's also a great teacher.

If you want to find a reason to get rid off somebody, just say he, or she can't control the kids.

I feel so sorry for her and the replacement doesn't even speak a word of English. The other one continued lessons I gave them to make sure that all of them understood them. WTF's wrong here?

Big Boss builds a 6 million baht house ( naked) and they can't replace a broken water dispenser?

I really hope for you that things won't change in a way that you'll start to hate what you're doing.

Hey_ewe likes this.
  9. Hey_ewe

I hope they find a few good teachers to support you. You are quite fortunate to have an immigration office that are willing to help you. Here in Korat they are very strict, that said I know of a few people who are on similarly worded employment contracts.

I've been at my place for about 6 years and I still like it there, easy to say in the middle of the holidays!! Quite a few people have been there much longer than me and I think that says a lot. I have a great co-teacher who is very likely to be the next head of EP, so fingers crossed that it will remain a very good place to work. We have a good team of foreign teachers. It is hard work, we have to jump through a lot of hoops and the workload seems to be increasing year on year. but there is quite a lot of private work available so that makes it worthwhile.

sirchai likes this.
  10. sirchai

Great post and wise words. Yep, it's easy when you still have a couple of days off, I hope you'll enjoy each and every hour before school starts again. First term is always super long, second term seems to fly by..

I would also be at my former school for 6 + years now, but made the mistake to resign.

They don't even hire ( I'd know it and post an add at ajarn.com) one teacher and I just received a funny phone call from Mrs Misscoordinator.

Their new idea is awesome. They'll hire another Thai teacher who'll be with me in all lessons. I have to go to school tomorrow right after lunch and interview whoever applied for the job.

Their idea is so unprofessional as our Thai English teachers' English skills.

The new teacher will/should translate my English for the kiddies into Thai and explain what I've said?

But I know that simultaneously translations of whole sentences from English into Thai just don't work, the kids have to learn it in English. ( There're various researches about it online, not my opinion alone).

Sad is that I seem to be the only one who knows that.

The different sentence structure makes it impossible to teach kids that way, but I'm already happy to have a helping hand. I hope that they'll really listen to my choice, which is not really sure.

We had the same problem a year ago where I had to interview about ten Thais and it was pretty clear who the best in English was. Unfortunately, they hired the one who wasn't very good in English not the one I had "suggested."

I'll have to find a way that they really hire the one who deserves it. But I'm afraid that some relatives of existing teachers will have the best chances for the position. Cheating at Thai schools is too obvious.

Wish you a great start and a stress- less time teaching. :thumbs up

Hey_ewe likes this.
  11. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

12. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

Welcome to SirChai, the total antithesis of Teacher Mark...