1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIPKid

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by ramses, 12 Feb 2017.

1. ramses

ramses Thread Starter Well-Known Member

VIPKid is an online teaching job that provides elementary students in China with ESL lessons from North American teachers.

Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree

Pay: 7 to 9 USD per 25 minute class, plus 1$ incentive per class that you show up to. More than 45 classes per month results in $1 per class incentive. (I make 19$ per hour when all is said and done - this month I will make about 20,000 thb)

Pros: Very flexible hours, and the peak times are when you would not otherwise be teaching
    Cons: Your pay fluctuates with the exchange rate. It might take a few weeks to start getting fully booked.

If you are not an American or Canadian there is another online company that operates very similarly, and has a very similar interface.

PM me and I will be more than happy to send you the relevant info.

Yes, I do get a small commission to sign folks up for VIPKid.

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Welcome back, ramses.

ramses likes this.
  4. ramses

5. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

huh?

6. ramses

The pay works like this:

You get a base pay per class. That pay is 7 - 9 USD per class. If you are in the classroom on time, you earn a $1 per class participation incentive. If you teach 45 or more classes a month, you get an additional $1 per class.

My pay is 7.50 per class. My effective hourly rate is $19.00 USD. If I were to do it full time (52 weeks x 40 hours) it would be roughly 38000 USD per year, or 3167 USD per month.

It has been my experience the past few weeks that all new hires are coming in at 8/ class.

Stamp and fred flintstone like this.
  7. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Well-Known Member

Any reason why it's only North American teachers..?

I've read in some Facebook groups that they have accepted teachers from other countries at times. It seems a bit stupid to limit themselves, but hey, they wouldn't be alone in their stupidity in this TEFL lark :rolleye

DG

8. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

I think my friend works for them too..he's Irish though..he made 15,000 this month, they even pay when the kids don't show.

ramses likes this.
  9. ramses

The reason has to do with English language media that is consumed in China. There are also American investors in the company (notably Kobe Bryant). I think the amount of trade between China and the US might factor into it as well. Generally speaking, American accents tend to vary less from one region to the next than other NES countries as well.

That said, I am more than happy to send a link to anyone of any nationality. I have heard they are looking to hire 10,000 new teachers this year. They also claim that just 10% of applicants are offered a job.

Also, I know of direct competitors of VIPKid that take any NES. I would be more than happy to pass that info on as well.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  10. DigitalGypsy

Ah yes, I should've thought about the corporate link, it makes sense now.

Yes, I'd appreciate that info you mentioned, cheers.

Here are a few I've been looking at myself:

Nicetalk
    Cambly
    Boxfish
    51Talk
    Wonderkids
    Kukuspeak

DG

ramses likes this.
  11. ramses

The recruitment link for VIPKid is:

VIPKID Teacher's Portal

If you are a non-American the company that closest resembles VIPKid is DaDa ABC:

DaDaABC

The pay structure is a little different, but the effective pay rate is about the same.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  12. DigitalGypsy

I've been researching online teaching a lot recently but haven't started the ball rolling yet. I've been reading up on equipment as I want to have the best tools for the job for when I do eventually start though.

What webcam / headset do you use? I've narrowed my choices down to these based on a few reviews/blog posts:

IMG_9611.JPG
    Logitech C615

IMG_9613.JPG
    Plantronics Blackwire C725

Do you create your own lesson material, or is it given to you in advance of each class?

Here's a few resources I found useful:

ESL and TEFL Online Teaching Jobs for Any Experience | ESL Authority

Home - Off2Class
    (More suited to those going it alone instead of working for a company)

IMG_9614.JPG
    This FB group seems to be lively with jobs and info

I'm thinking of signing up to the below course eventually and building my own website and trying it out going solo. I'll prob do a stint with an online teaching company first to get some experience of the cyber classroom, while working diligently on my own project in the shadows.

How to Teach English Online (and Work for Yourself)

All tips, advice, and info greatly appreciated folks

DG

13. ramses

I use the camera built into my laptop ... no issues. I use a phillips gaming headset. I like the headset but have no idea how it would compare to others.

one big advantage for working for a company is you do not have to go looking for students.

14. DigitalGypsy

Have you tried any of the apps for teaching via your smartphone?

15. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

DG Logitech range of webcams are tops ....got one for my mom in UK (for skyping) couple of years back and no probs 2 years on ...clear, functional, and reliable ....go for the spec you think best ...for my mom (forget model number) was equiv to @1300 baht. Yep, the reviews are generally positive for this brand thus my purchase accordingly.

DigitalGypsy likes this.