1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help University positions - so many questions!

Discussion in 'Staffroom' started by Curiousity, 6 Dec 2016.

1. Curiousity

Curiousity Thread Starter New Member

Hi All,

I’m looking for some general advice, recommendations, and any potential leads on university positions.

Background

I have an LLB, an MA in Applied Linguistics, and six years of tertiary level experience in South Korea and Japan. In terms of scholarly contributions, I’ve presented at conferences around the world and have a few publications.

I left Tokyo just over a year ago to head home for a bit, but am now looking to get back in the game with a change of venue. Thailand has been my second (third?) home for the last decade, and I’ve spent long stretches living throughout the country, usually for 1-3 months at a time. I’m thinking about making it more permanent, but would love some insight in to how to do it properly.

Questions:

1. What schools/programs should I be considering with my qualifications and experience?
    2. Hiring season and semester times seem to be in a state of flux. Can anyone confirm when the best time to apply would be, assuming it matters?
    3. Advertising for positions is all over the place, with many ongoing postings on each university website. Am I missing some epic repository, rss feed, etc.?
    4. All of my digging around in old forums and job postings has produced a range of salaries and working conditions (teaching hours, campus time, holidays, opportunities for extra work, and professional development). I’d be interested to hear about yours.

I’m assuming that my lack of experience in Thailand and corresponding professional and social networks will put me at a bit of a disadvantage. Lend a newbie a hand in finding something using yours, and drinks are on me.

Cheers,

C

2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

First of all Curiosity, a warm welcome.

Sadly I do not have experience at the university level, so I can't really offer much useful advice.
    he who is known as Stamp is our repository and no doubt others will chip in too.

Are you looking at any particular part of Thailand?
    What is your field? I see you have the MA but what area are you looking to get in/back to?

With your experience, no doubt, finding a job will be easy. Good luck!

A warm welcome again.

3. bahn_farang

and leader :ashamed:thai wai

4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity- welcome to this forum. If you could be a little bit more precise in what part of Thailand you're seeking, it would make it way easier to eventually point you into the right direction.

Jindee Dhorn Lharb. :go10

5. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Possibly the most effective way to a teaching job at a university is to simply apply once you're in-country. No matter what your degrees, professional qualifications or publications, the greatest likelihood is that you'll be asked to teach English in one form or another. A lawyer acquaintance at Mahidol was on a "special" contract teaching international law in English while another was on repeating 6-month contracts teaching an MBA finance course in English at Chulalongkorn. There may be other contracts of this nature on offer elsewhere (outside bkk) in the country, but luck in finding them plays a role.

I taught at a university in bkk for 3 years. I applied to the ELC through a cold call, but was mistakenly transferred to the English Department. It wasn't until after the interview that I discovered that I had been hired by the department and not the center: 3 courses, 11 teaching hours per week, 3 office hours and the usual admin paperwork. The job paid B35K monthly with many opportunities for additional work away from the campus (One project I found interesting was at the Royal Palace teaching English to very relaxed admin staff, most of whom arrived to work on water taxis: B2K per hour). The university also has an international program (paying students) that offers at least 2K per hour. All told, I imagine a regular income of 50-60K monthly could be had without too much effort. Whether or not that is enough for bkk is, of course, up to you. One final note, teaching at this university was one of the most rewarding experiences of my long classroom career in nearly a dozen countries.: wonderful, highly motivated (for the most part) students, reasonably helpful admin, my own office, and my teaching style and classroom organization left entirely up to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2016
    stfranalum likes this.
  6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

:welcome2

Some good tips above and as poster above says 'Mahidol' is a good bet for a decent salary and many postions arise. All I can say is avoid the Rajabhat government chain except for maybe Dusit Rajabaht in BKK.

Yes semesters I think are not all the same but many now start August/September for the new academic year. Good time to start looking for that would be May onwards.

Good luck with your quest.

7. bahn_farang

would this have an impact on salary? In country and out of country has been known to influence the salary offered

8. SageAdvice

I don't think location of the applicant for an English language position has any bearing on the amount of salary paid...these are not companies, but local educational institutions wrapped tightly in their own highly idiosyncratic cocoons.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2016
    Clown likes this.
  9. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Introduce yourself at schools that look appealing. In Thailand, it is about luck, fate, and relationships. Present yourself well and you will probably be able to take your pick of jobs.

stfranalum likes this.
  10. bahn_farang

It has had an impact in the past, the OP would be wise to consider this, especially applying for the higher level positions at international schools, which I am guessing from the credentials held would be where the OP is looking.

11. SageAdvice

International schools (K-12) are, of course, entirely different from local universities.

12. Curiousity

Curiousity Thread Starter New Member

I stepped out for a bit, and really didn't expect such a great response...so thank you for the welcome and the responses thus far.

I was a lawyer, but have been teaching EAP university courses and business/law electives for 6 years. I'm really open to anything that falls within my skill set. Some magical combination of the two might work if it exists :)

Most likely BKK...but honestly I'm open to anywhere, though I am concerned about the air quality up North.

Thanks for that! I'm open to straight up EAP if that's what's available, but any chance at legal/business stuff thrown in with it would be great. I'm fairly flexible, though, if the place has decent working conditions.

What uni were you at?

They're one of the schools that seems to have an open call for applications...possibly year round? I might get an application package to them and see if they bite early.

I didn't think I'd be qualified for international schools (not a K-12 teacher, so no teaching cert). I wouldn't necessarily rule them out if they're an option, though.

13. bahn_farang

for sure, so it's worth looking at applying out of country for if you are looking at some of the higher tier universities or international, but like sage said 'in country' for other opportunities

14. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

:welcome2

15. Clown

Clown Well-Known Member

What's up, Curiosity? May I ask how old you are and whether this would be the end of your academic progress?

TBH, I can't help seeing TH as a step back academically and professionally. While your enjoyment of life will likely offset the lower remuneration. :cool

Yesterday, I was shown my institution's latest "interactive classroom". At 10,000.000 THB, it reeked of stupidity. (Will try and take a photo today to corroborate some criticism).

I'd love for someone to greenlight loudspeakers. These can be bought for 5,000 THB from a good brand like KLIPSCH (110 V) or TEUFEL (5 years' warranty). Then there is the radio station requiring air conditioning 24/7/365 while being unused.

Back to your questions. The deals differ like hell. Gotta look past the salary and also find the right town. Choose too small a town and you may not get extra work (if that's what you want).

Closing, try to get an annual contract as the Visa hassles can cost you dearly in wasted time. You should like it in the Land of Mediocrity if you stopped pursuing a career and want to hang on till retirement.

stfranalum likes this.