1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK University is not on the TCT accredited universities list

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by dannyboi, 9 Jan 2017.

1. dannyboi

dannyboi Thread Starter New Member

sorry to hijack this thread but i have the same concern. I'm looking to come to teach in Thailand in a few months, but checking the TCT's list of accredited universities my University (Aberystwyth University) is not on there, I think this is due to the reason that a few years ago it was called the University of Wales, which is on the list. My question is whether this could cause me potential problems in trying to work in Thailand.

thanks

Last edited: 9 Jan 2017
  2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

AFAIK, yes.

I was in remotely similar situation.

I purchased a pair of airline tickets online for my wife and I. I used her maiden name, forgetting that she had a new passport showing her married name. We were able to use the ticket, but it wasn't as simple as showing her old and new passports and marriage certificate. We had to find a airport official who would say that using the ticket was possible, we needed a letter from the school verifying that the two names were one person (kind of like "one China - two systems) and that she was requested, and I had to sign a release of liability for the airline in case she was blocked at the port of entry.

I doubt anybody is going to check, but you might want to have an official letter from the university, blessed by the ministry of foreign affairs if that is even possible, verifying the name change.

dannyboi likes this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

The TCT itself doesn't have a list of accredited universities. The list is managed and maintained by the Office of the Civil Service Commission.

Lists of accredited universities by the Office of the Civil Service Commission OCSC | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Yes, this could cause problems. Like gungchang wrote, get yourself an official letter from the university stating that the name has been changed.

dannyboi likes this.
  4. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Not an issue (the undergrad degree that I used for my visa has the same kind of name change).

Like anyone who wants to apply and save some grief.... get your degree authenticated.
    The process is NOT that complex.
    Have a certified true copy made at your embassy (or foreign office / etc in your home country if you are not here yet).
    Have that copy confirmed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at government complex in Bangkok for use within Thailand (AKA MFA sticker).
    That certified copy can be used at Krusapha, immigration and the labor office when you apply for your work permit.

If you do not get your degree authenticated then you may have to jump through some hoops here to do the same thing.
    Although Thailand is NOT a member to the apostille treaty an apostille on your certified true copy of your degree (for Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, S.Africans and Americans) will be accepted at MFA in lieu of an embassy stamp.

For Pinoys you NOW (as compared to years past) need a CHED CAV and DFA red-ribbon on a copy of your degree to get an MFA stamp or you may have issues here when you have to deal with Krusapha.

dannyboi, gungchang and Stamp like this.
  5. gungchang

That is good news. I have that crap from my daze in the ROK.

I notice that Canucks are not on the list. I'm guessing they go to the RCMP?

I'm further guessing that Eire is not on the list of NES countries this week.

Speaking of the devil, is this building at the front of the CW complex, and is it signed?
    I have a link from google maps street view but my VPN is down and I can't open it.

dannyboi likes this.
  6. ttompatz

Canuks are not in the list since they are not members of the apostille treaty and therefore cannot get an apostille on their documents.
    They need to go to the Canadian embassy, obtain a certified true copy made at the Canadian embassy in Bangkok and take that to the MFA for local certification.

I am not sure about the Republic of Ireland (just because I haven't had any experience with documenting Irish teachers in Thailand).
    Embassy certification (like for Canadians) will work for everyone except Americans. The American embassy won't certify or authenticate anything.

Yes, at the front and yes, there is (was last time I was there) a sign.

dannyboi and gungchang like this.
  7. SageAdvice

SageAdvice Well-Known Member

Well, that's a relief...

:smiling

dannyboi likes this.
  8. gungchang

Thank you, Mr. Wizard

dannyboi likes this.
  9. dannyboi

Thx for the the advice guys, it is reassuring to know that there is a solution to my problem. However due to probably me being a bit dense i'm still not sure exactly of the process as explained by ttompatz.

So according to my limited expertise in this and understanding of your advice I should:

1. Get a copy done of my degree certificate and transcripts from my University
    2. Then take the documents to a legal notary and get them certified and legalised (are these the same thing or not?)
    3. Once I am in Thailand, I can take the documents to the MFA and get them to confirm the documents.
    4. Documents should then be ok and recognised by the Krusapha, immigration and the labor office?

I apologize for my ignorance on this topic guys but I appreciate everybody's advice.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017
  10. ttompatz

In the UK...
    Get a certified true copy made at notary (certifies the copy is a true likeness of the original - does not legalize the document).
    Take to the Foreign Office.
    Have an apostille affixed.
    When you get to Thailand go to MFA and get their sticker affixed to the back of the document.

Alternatively, when you get to Thailand take your original degree and transcript to your embassy, get a certified true copy made and swear an affidavit that the original is real.
    Then go to MFA and get their sticker affixed to the back of the document for use in Thailand.

Alternatively,
    Get a letter from your university (on letterhead, with seal, in a sealed envelope with UK postmark).
    Take that to Krusapha (still sealed) and they will accept it as acceptable for use as a teacher.

There isn't really a one-size fits all approach since Thailand is not an apostille treaty member (but they are aware of apostilles) and there are different approaches taken in different countries for legalization of documents.

11. dannyboi

thanks ttompatz, much appreciated.