1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Full-time Teaching Positions in China > 40-50K Bht

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by DavidUSA, 31 Aug 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Positions: Elementary School Teacher (1), Middle School and High School Teacher (1); Private Company

Location: Huai'an, Jiangsu Province, China; It's a city of 2.5 million, north of Nanjing.

Responsibilities: Teaching up to 20-22 lessons per week (40-50 minutes each) + office hours + company meetings (which do not occur very often) for a total of 40 hours per week. During the summer session, which lasts for five weeks, the number of teaching hours increases to 24-26 per week; overtime will be earned for any work over the 26 hour limit (according to Chinese law). The normal workload does not reach the goal of teaching 20-22 lessons per week. Actually, the normal teaching workload only reaches 12-14 hours per week because one only teaches students on Saturdays and Sundays. During the summer session, which is challenging, one teaches six days a week.

Salary: 40,300 Baht to 50,500 Baht (converted to today's exchange rate) per month after taxes (8,000 to 10,000 Yuan before tax, per month) based on experience

Benefits: health insurance, housing with free utilities (up to a reasonable point) and free internet, a free flight home once a year or $1,000 US, overtime paid at the rate of 1,070 Baht per hour. The Chinese Residence Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate, and health check are paid for by the school. One can receive a housing allowance instead of taking the housing which is provided on a nearby university campus. This housing is furnished, very clean, modern, has security, and it is maintained well.

Vacations: around ten days in late January (exact time varies by year), around ten days in late August, one full week in the beginning of October, four days in the middle of October, various other national holidays. The four days in the middle of October are a company trip in which one gets the chance to travel to various cities in China. The number of days off is surprisingly high.

Professionalism: You will be working as a member of a teaching team. The English Department has about 40 teachers. Your peers and the senior staff will critique your teaching during mock lessons that you will present once a week. Standards are very high. Senior staff will walk through lessons and mentor incoming teachers. Every lesson is presented beforehand, evaluated, and refined. The focus of the teaching will be on speaking practice. Jiangsu Province has the highest academic standards and results for middle school and high school students in all of China--and that is really saying something. All teachers are expected to have a strong grasp of English grammar.

Minimum Qualifications: NES with a BA degree in any field from an accredited institution of higher learning, TEFL/TESOL, one year of teaching experience, a clean background check, clear pronunciation, and a solid understanding of English grammar.

Preferred Qualifications: two or more years of pertinent teaching experience; a BA in Education, English, or Childhood Education

Age: 30-55 years old (with some flexibility for an ideal candidate)

Start Date: Now to 1 January, 2017.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the company I work for in China. You will be walking into a professional environment. One big advantage you have in accepting work with these people is that you have me, an American, their first foreign teacher, to tell you the real deal and smooth the move to China. My boss asked me if I could find a couple more NES teachers who have worked in Thailand.

If you are interested, get your paperwork together and write me. If you do not have a real degree, please do not apply. The Chinese will scrutinize and verify your credentials.

It is a good job in a good place with a low cost of living. There are small perks which are not listed, such as some meals and vacation money, and an extra day off here and there. There will also be a guaranteed pay raise for those who sign again, but that exact amount is not yet set in stone. It will probably be 10%. They don't play games with your pay or benefits, and the standards are high across the board. The free housing is sparkling clean and peaceful. The Chinese make it easy to bring one's family, another big plus. Thailand is not that far away, lots of flights from Nanjing and Shanghai.

Huai'an is not a party town. It is not a booming metropolis. They call it a small town. Not a whole lot of foreign faces. In fact, very few. It is really China. I have been treated well since the moment I got here. I am not waving their red flag. I am just saying how it is. I bet the company will give you some money for expenses once you arrive, take you out to eat, etc. That is how they are. Working in China is starting a relationship, a kind of relationship they take seriously.

What the company is looking for, in addition to what is listed above, is this: someone who can focus on work and who can get along with others.

Write with your CV if you are interested, and I will hand off your info to the head of the English Department, Ellen. If you want to encrypt your CV or any other personal documents (once you begin the application process for the Z visa), then please tell me and we will set that up with my Hushmail or Tutanota.

The name of the company is Jia Yi Education. As we speak, it is going international. It has been in business for about seven years. After starting from scratch, they have grown quickly and now they have deep pockets. They just bought a British company, and they are starting a school in the US soon. The owner, Mr. Wang, will (I bet) make it a point to meet you and treat you to dinner, discuss important issues having to do with education, make you feel welcome in China. You'll be dealing with smart, capable people. You'll also get to see something of Chinese business culture from the inside, smoothed by lots of red wine and Chinese fire water. It's professional.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2016