1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tokyo-Bound, Help and Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Travel' started by DigitalGypsy, 14 Aug 2015.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Morning,

Looking for some advice here folks, please. Just wondering if anyone has flown with Air Asia from Thailand to Tokyo recently?

If so, what's the service like? What's the in-flight entertainment quality? Is there a USB port on the seat (to charge phones)? Also, what's the latest stance on powerbanks? - can they brought in hand luggage, or only in checked-in luggage? Are there any restrictions on bringing portable speakers onboard, (Bose bluetooth portable speaker), just curious if the built-in battery was viewed with caution like the powerbanks.

What's the process of getting a re-entry permit like? (I'm in Nakhon Ratchasima). Does it take long? I read somewhere that it can be done at the airport when departing, is this true, and 100% reliable at all times of the day?

Any advice on roaming? I was quoted 300 baht per day by DTAC for unlimited data roaming. Anyone have any experience of this service? Or any ideas on the best way to convert baht to yen? - is it better to do it here in a bank in Thailand first, or bring baht and exchange over there?

Apologies for all the questions, and thanks for any info in advance. Much appreciated.

DG :smiling

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I've flown JetStar from Bangkok to Singapore and Air Asia from Penang to Bangkok.

I don't recall USB ports on the seats.

I do recall crappy legroom. Spend the extra money and get a seat on one of the emergency exit rows.

The last time I was in Japan, it, like Korea, had CDMA.
    You'll need a phone that will work with that.
    I have an old Nokia for just that purpose.
    Thai Airlines had a supply of them. Don't get your hopes up, but you can check with Air Asia.

I have seen really bad exchange rates, notably for Egyptian pounds at Frankfurt airport.

I don't recall any real differences for Japanese yen at Don Muang, Swampy, Narita, or Kansai.

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  3. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

:celebrate1 if i'm ever there and need them, i'll avoid doing so

4. gungchang

DigitalGypsy likes this.
  5. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

About power-banks.... If you are leaving from BKK they will insist that your power-bank or spare battery be in your hand carry and NOT in your checked luggage.
    They will likely ask at check-in if you have a power-bank in your checked luggage and make you take it out.

You can get a re-entry permit at the airport (BKK). The cost is 1200 baht and depending on how many are in line it takes 10-20 minutes (usually easier than doing it at the local immigration office).
    They have a small desk just after security clearance and before passport control. It is 24/7.
    I do not know about getting one at DMK international departures.

Do NOT take baht to Japan. Buy YEN here or use a C/C. It is hard to find anyplace to exchange baht outside the airport and inside the airport the exchange rate is awful.

SundayJam likes this.
  6. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about re-entry permits at the airport. Thanks.

From the line I see at Central Ladprao everyday, I'd say Super Rich is the best place to exchange money in Thailand. Bring your passport just in case. I can't remember if you need it to buy or sell Thai Baht.

7. gungchang

Central Lad Prao is not a small place. Can you be more specific? What floor, what other store is it near? We should be changing a pathetic amount of baht next week.

8. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

If you are exchanging less than 30k baht then the difference between somewhere in Central Lad Prao and the airport at BKK is not worth the shoe leather and BTS fare to get there and back.

If you are talking about 100k baht then it might be worth the time and effort.

If you are talking about amounts in the range of 300k baht then a bank wire (or pre-arranged money transfer to follow you) would be the order of the day.

9. gungchang

Our condo is only five to ten minutes walk away from CLP.

10. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Super Rich is right next to B2S. You'll see the line winding around the small kiosk at all times of the day.

11. gungchang

Thank you.
    Maybe I can score a teach yourself Chinese book for Thai speakers while I'm there.
    Holy crap, Batman! In one week, at this time, our flight will be beginning its descent into Wuhan (over four months late).