1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right books for science and math in an E.P. set up

Discussion in 'Classroom' started by sirchai, 24 Feb 2017.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

I've got to check some books over the weekend and let my head teacher know what I think of them.-<?>

WE were using the ones from Palangi Publishing Co., LTD for grade one, two and three this year.

The new books ( on first sight) seem to be a little bit too difficult, for example an assignment for grade three students where they have to create word problems by only having some numbers.

To be able to do such a task their English would have to be much better. Unfortunately, are many students not able to master word problems, so it wouldn't make much sense at all.

But that's only my opinion and I might be completely wrong about it.

The new books come in two different categories for each subject, for example the textbook for math also called "SUPER MATH" from a company called "Aksorn."

All subject books come in two books, the student and the workbook. And there are two red books, named 2 A, and two blue books, called 2 B.

I haven't had the time to see what the difference between A and B is but I truly hope that some members here know these books and have worked with them before.

To be honest, I have never heard about a "Aksorn book company before."

My questions are particularly for those who are teaching in an EP program and it would be very nice if you guys share your experience.

I got a sort of familiar with the "Pelangi" books and wouldn't have a problem to use other books.

It's all in favor of the students and not what's easier to teach. Thanks a lot in advance for any useful input. Khop Khun Maak Khrap.

Thanks a lot and a great weekend. :idea

2. natewill

natewill Active Member

1. FUCK Aksorn books with a rusty spoon. They are poorly written and translated from Thai, written by Thai 'education professionals' and are wildly inconsistent with the students' level of English.

2. IAGPW, or whatever they are called, offer decent books. We have been using their Math and Science for a while. Every year we English teachers get together to decide our books and they keep getting chosen.

3. I think we used Pelangi books the first year I taught, and switched to IAGPW, or whatever they are called, from Pelangi.

4. Word problems are usually difficult for my MEP students every year. I have backed off of teaching them, and use them either to reinforce other concepts that have already been mastered, or as fill material between chapters or at the end of the year.

5. I have not yet found a decent Health book. I will not give up trying, but I usually pitch the book at the beginning of the year and do my own thing.

6. For English subject specifically, I would twist whatever arms you need to in order to secure some CEFR-quality books. We're using Super Minds this year (and next year), but there's quite a few quality titles available.

sirchai likes this.
  3. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot and sorry for my late reply.