1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The PVC / bamboo fence finally

Discussion in 'Gardening in Thailand' started by tassiecatred, 16 Nov 2013.

1. tassiecatred

tassiecatred Thread Starter Member

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for not replying earlier.
    Getting at the old vine was more difficult than anticipated. It was very overgrown and too much for me to handle and my wife kept harping about snakes. I tried to arrange for someone to come and cut it back but to no avail. Then the rains came and we were flooded about 5 inches across the front yard. The water sat for a while, killed the grass and, wonderfully, the old vine.
    Finally I cleaned it all up and did the new fence. Photos are attached [blame the wife for the quality]. The uprights are 2" pvc's about 4' high and about 1 1/2' in the ground. The bamboo cross bars are from the old fence. It may look a bit rustic but that's what I wanted. The new vines are "bleeding hearts" and once they get going the blue colour of the pvc won't matter. I figure that if I want to go any higher, I can just join, more pipe to the pvc.
    Thanks for your patience

Attached Files:

2. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Nice job mate.

3. Mati

Mati Well-Known Member

You have a beautiful setting for your fence. What a romantic place...

tassiecatred likes this.
  4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Very nice. Well done. :thumbsup2:

Do you hold a work permit to do this kind of fabulous work? :innocent:

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

looks nice, thanks for the photos

6. tassiecatred

Thanks all. When the "bleeding hearts" really get going, I'll post some more photos.
    My only problem now is getting rid of the bindii weeds that flourished after the flood.
    Any ideas?

7. evl

evl Active Member

You might be able to kill off a large area of weeds by covering them with an opaque plastic sheet for a couple of weeks (weight it down with stones, etc; they won't die if enough light gets through though), then replanting with grass seed.

The alternative is to dig them up at the base of the plant, trying to get as much of the root as you can. It might be possible to gather the leaves into a bunch and gently pull whilst using a trowel to dig into the soil at a slight angle, either loosening the roots or cutting through them far enough down that it will die instead of re-growing.

A 3rd option is to concrete over every surface you don't want weeds to grow: it seems to work for Bangkok.

8. tassiecatred

Thanks evl for 1 and 2 above.
    I'll give no.3 a miss:no:

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

nicely done!

10. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Used to do this. If you're detailed, you'll kill them off permanently and they won't grow back again. It takes a long time though. My dad used to say that it's character-building...

11. mike123_ca

mike123_ca Active Member

I like the open landscape and large trees. It looks rather peaceful. I'm curious about the purpose of the fence. Is it to mark the property line?