1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The London Blaze

Discussion in 'General News from other countries' started by portnoy58, 15 Jun 2017.

1. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

When the death toll from the tower block blaze in London is known, I have little doubt that a quick scan of the names and nationalities of the deceased will show that the majority of the dead are first or second generation immigrants of some description; further that a significant percentage of those victims who might be classed as 'white British' will be older people. Why? Because this tragedy is about the direct and indirect effects of government policies. These always have the most deleterious effect on poor people and Grenfell Tower epitomises the impact of policy on people's lives. This fire could and should have been avoided.

I am so sad, having lived in London, though further west, for over 20 years.

But news reports convey a strong sense to me that multiculturalism is working very well in London, particularly so in this area, which has a very long history of acting as a first base for many new arrivals to the Smoke. You can see from news reports that the local authority, which should be spearheading the relief operation, was/is nowhere to be seen, and that it is mosques, churches, community organisations and concerned citizens of all ages and hues that are responding.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2017
    Gor Blimey Guvnur! and Stamp like this.
  2. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Through the smoke, tears, burning flesh and death, I see nothing of surnames first second or third generation. I wish the families can reflect on happier times at this time of extreme sorrow.

If they find peace in a power which brings them piece I respect their wish to do so.

My heart breaks for the loss of life.

3. bahn_farang

Portnoy58 I may or may not agree with what you have posted but the time for the search for policy or ideological correctness must wait a while

4. DavidUSA

DavidUSA την σκαφην σκαφην λεγοντας

It is horiffic news. Entire families are missing. I wondered if the fire was a terror attack, but when it became clear that these people were mostly of Middle Eastern origin, a sinister idea struck: perhaps the fire was set on purpose to kill Muslims.

I think this is less likely than a routine cause given that it started around the 12th floor. But this will become clear as the investigation proceeds.

I have read that the fire alarm malfunctioned and that the sprinkler system failed. It also seems that this was public housing, an important fact that it seems some in the press want to avoid saying.

What I learned from this is to be very aware of fire safety if I stay in a high-rise building. You can buy a gas mask that is especially designed for use in a fire. It will enable you to use a stairway full of smoke. If I had lived there, I guarantee I would have one for myself and one for everyone in my familly, and I would have practiced how to use it properly and made my wife do so too.

It is generally safer to stay put in a high-rise fire, but not if whole floors are being engulfed in flames.

It is an appalling event, one that we can at least learn something from.

5. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

6. portnoy58

portnoy58 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Thanks Stamp for posting this link. This occurred in the province where I live and I haven't heard a dicky bird. However there is very little in terms of English language news here - one state controlled channel in English - and not much else. So most of rely on social media for our news. How ironic to be getting significant news about events in China from you guys in Thailand via Thai media. I also did not know there was a history of attacks on kindergarten provision. Very sad business indeed.

7. DavidUSA

It happened pretty close to where I live. Safety is often neglected in China, even in schools.

8. DavidUSA

On this fire in London, it is clear to me that some of the victims had no idea whatsoever about what to do in a fire.

The Italian woman in the article below did not even know not to use a lift in a fire.

Screenshot_2017-06-16-22-31-03-72.png

Screenshot_2017-06-16-22-30-45-78.png

9. DavidUSA

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the real issue comes out about the London fire: it is all your fault, ex-colonial Britain, you heartless, inequality-loving scoundrels. The free housing you provided was not safe. Time to pay up.

Screenshot_2017-06-17-07-58-22-10.png

Screenshot_2017-06-17-07-58-56-39.png

Last edited: 17 Jun 2017
  10. DavidUSA

The London fire has already become highly politicized, at this is at a time when Theresa May is especially vulnerable.

She did not visit the victims, but the Queen and the Duke of Cambridge did--that looks really bad.

Corbyn has not missed his chance: the fire is now about inequality, and Corbyn spoke of seizing the homes of the wealthy.

So, appeasers and weepy diversity champions, behold the future. You are wealthy and employed and it is your fault. The immigrants want more, and your heartlessness is your fault. It is all your fault ex-colonial Britain, now beg and say you are sorry after you write a huge check.

I am telling you right now that your country is under threat of non-existence.

Screenshot_2017-06-17-10-56-34-91.png

Screenshot_2017-06-17-11-11-45-40.png

Screenshot_2017-06-17-07-58-56-39.png

11. bahn_farang

DavidUSA,

Sadly you know nothing save from what news streams you frequent. Perhaps try to critique what you read. This may improve the value of which you post. This is after all a site for teachers. I, and no doubt others, try to install in their students the need to search for balanced views and only then draw conclusions. (Come on man see past the rubbish you are fed)

Your posts often follow .... your posts. Perhaps you will consider why this is. (why are others not engaging with your drivel?)

Perhaps you will critique what you read through a more intelligent lens. You are not the Telegraph, you have the capacity to read and interpret on each and every issue for the multi-sided views. (Don't be the stupid consumer of news from political masters)

You have (in the past) appeared to hold views which are considered opinions, yet your preference for quoting others, without really considering both sides is rather ..... belittling of the education which may have been offered to you.

People have died. Rightly emotions are high. Let's see how this plays out. Respectfully, let's not go down your "anti you" tunnel on this one

12. DavidUSA

I see your point. You accused me of dri el, and I can accept that, even from someone I respect like you.

I said a lot because I am angry. I can stop. But I stand behind my basic points. Enough said.

bahn_farang likes this.
  13. bahn_farang

Thank you for stopping

14. DavidUSA

Place, time, and people. Not exactly the place. You are right.

15. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member