1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Inside Story about the Iraq War

Discussion in 'The Library' started by DavidUSA, 26 Jun 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A well-written account of the ramshackle planning and conduct of Bush's ill-fated adventure in Iraq.

It is still playing out.

The author was a long-time military reporter for the Washington Post.

Fiasco_cover.jpg

professeur and sirchai like this.
  2. KhruRandy

KhruRandy Member

I can save you the trouble of reading it. Americans benefit from death. They makes and sells arms to country that kills each other.

3. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

You tell em Randy ! And there's me thinking it was about the price of a barrel of oil.

Welcome to TT to khrurandy:runaround:welcome:runaround:lost it

sirchai likes this.
  4. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips Active Member

KhruRandy....
    "...make and sell arms to countries..."
    Yes. I guess we should have let Hitler go to it. Who helped the cambodians against Pol Pot? Yeah, I know. No oil

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Got "The Gamble". Also a great one.....
    I've downloaded the Gamble General from the same author. Can't upload it here.

But please try that one; Thomas E. Ricks - The Gamble: General David Petraeus (download torrent) - TPB

DavidUSA likes this.
  6. sirchai

Countries don't kill each other, Khun Kru. I hope that you didn't really mean what you wrote. Save us the trouble from reading a book that's written by a famous author?

Almost all "Western countries" sell their weapons to those people who can afford it. No matter what others will do with them.

Why Germany should stop arming the world - The Local

Are you teaching the English language?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2016
  7. sirchai

Last edited: 27 Jun 2016
    DavidUSA likes this.
  8. DavidUSA

:hilarious

sirchai likes this.
  9. DavidUSA

Mr. Ricks went to high school in KABUL, AFGHANISTAN around 1968. :coffee

10. DavidUSA

America is actually OK even though we cherish killing. By the way, did you ever wonder about the bee in spelling bee? Bee means a coming together of people. We have spelling bees and quilting bees. America used to have lynching bees too, I've seen the pics. If you go, let me give you some advice: don't hang out in any gay discotecs, or if you do, wear some bullet-proof underwear. Also, many of us could benefit from a grammar checker. With these high-tech equipment items and your useful inside knowledge, you will bee more than ready to dial 911 and bee understood. Sabaii dee. Kapish? :idea

sirchai likes this.
  11. sirchai

Thanks for the laugh, almost spit my too hot coffee on the board of the keys. :cheers

12. GanDoonToonPet

GanDoonToonPet Well-Known Member

The Naked Island - Russell Braddon. We need to worry about the Japs - so evil in war...what's going on in their heads? The national psyche...?

13. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Interestingly, a lot of these revolutionaries were educated in their colonial masters' countries.

DavidUSA likes this.
  14. KhruRandy

KhruRandy Member

Scoff and mock if you must. The industrial complex creates and justifies continued conflict across the globe.
    Do you think of Americans as being the lone heroes. Perhaps in your history books they might be.

OK and cherish killing are not congruent. Ever. What moral compass does guide their life by when one puts those to next to each other in the same sentence. Was Hitler OK though he cherished killing? ISIS? Pol Pot?

Khmer Rouge should have been a dead giveaway.

15. DavidUSA

Snaga,

Let me take out a pencil so I can jot this down. OK, so I take the pointy end and press it to the paper at an angle and I scrape: nOt C0ngUeNt. Yo, I got dis shit down pat bro, ye know wudt I mean?

Note on hermeneutics: I am just joking. Don't be so serious. Wait a sec, truth is about burst in:

Would you like to know what it is like, what it is really like, not in the movies and Facebook from which you get 99% of your ideas, but in real life, when people are dying all around you, catching flying metal? Would you like to hear what that little voice deep inside you says, and more importantly what happens? It is not about the military industrial complex or the Lone Ranger. It goes like this:

HAHAHA IT'S NOT ME!!!

and then?

It feels as if the sun is shining :smiling in the center of your chest.

You are probably right about the military industrial complex, etc. And the most interesting thing about it is the deep conflict and arbitrary malice. It is super strong, but it cannot last forever. At some point the whole facade has to come down, like Mordor in the Lord of the Rings. So don't feel bad. It may look as if the dream team is winning, but it won't last. As some point poetic justice will kick in, karma, however you want to look at it.

signed
    An Uurk-hai servant of Sauron and Saruman/Bush, speaker of the language of Mordor.

Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2016