1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fickle finger of immigration and marriage visas

Discussion in 'Visas and extensions of stay' started by Cal Roy, 1 Sep 2016.

1. Cal Roy

Cal Roy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Hi all. I have a question about the marriage visa. I have one and am working to renew it in December. According to the rules online, we only need to have the cash in the bank for two months prior to application. However, my wife says the rules, as written in Thai, now say three months. I have had the money in Bangkok Bank for the entire year but it was in a fixed account that came to an end. We had to close that account and move it to another Bangkok Bank account. My wife thinks immigration won't accept the money as having been in the bank for the three months because we have just started the new account. We have both bank books and could probably get the bank to write a letter stating the obvious for us.
    What are your thoughts about this?

2. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd make sure to have a new letter from your Bangkok Bank explaining how long you had the money on this account before you moved it to another account.

Also update your bank book and take an ATM slip to be 100 % sure.

Well, nothing is 100 %, but I don't think that you'll have problems. best of luck.

3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

That's what I think is still the rule.

If not, you always have the possibility to apply for a 60 days extension based on visiting the spouse or child, Reason of Necessity 2.24.

4. Cal Roy

Thanks, Stamp. I appreciate your help.

5. Cal Roy

We had a 9 month account with the bank that came to its 9 months so we moved it to a 12 month at the same bank.

6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Cal, Stamp is right about the 60 day extension and no probs to be done at your local immigration and no proof of monies either. After that if still in a pickle, can go to Kota Bharu, Malaysia and can obtain 6 month non-O (no proof of monies again) and is better than Laos that only offer 3 months.
    However, logic (eh hem TIT applies) should prevail and I reckon no probs with a bank letter showing the shift in accounts should suffice. Good luck.

gungchang likes this.
  7. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

This is good intel.
    I've made a few trips to KB but was unaware that I could get six months.
    I tried for one year in Penang but they wanted the financial crapola.

8. Cal Roy

Thanks for all this. We will get the letter from the bank and cross our fingers.

Is the retirement visa any less difficult to arrange? I could qualify for either and I plan to stop working at Thai schools after this year. I make plenty teaching Chinese kids online.

9. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

I started with a 2 month tourist visa in April, extended that a month, then applied for a 2 month permission to stay with your Thai wife extension, then extended that for a month, then applied for a 3 month non-O visa having met all the requirements of a year extension. I'll then extend that visa for a year next month but I'll have to reproduce the same paperwork I produced in August.

There's no reason to change visas. Just keep going to Chaengwattana and pay the 2,000 baht each time.

Cal Roy likes this.
  10. Stamp

It seems to be less difficult. Extensions of stay based of marriage are scrutinised to prevent fraud.

Below are the rules for an extension of stay based on retirement (reason of necessity 2.22).

Criteria and Conditions for Temporary Stay - Immigration Order 327/2557 | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

Cal Roy likes this.
  11. Cal Roy

I finally figured it out this morning about 3am. I earn 40 to 50k a month from my online work so I am going to get a letter from the US embassy saying I meet the income requirement. Leaving my day job will allow me to earn more online and still work far fewer hours.

Stamp likes this.
  12. Stamp

Sounds good, Cal Roy.

On a side note, did you know that officially a work permit is required.

13. Cal Roy

How does that work, Stamp? If I can qualify for a marriage cert with my income from the US, how would I get a work permit? I got my first marriage visa last year without the permit, though. We just had to run back and forth to the bank a few times.

14. Stamp

Just legally speaking, you must have a work permit as you're doing a job in Thailand, regardless whether it's in a classroom or behind a computer. However, getting a work permit is virtually impossible unless you set up a corporation limited (Co. LTD.). Is there a danger of being arrested of fined? I think the risk is similar to doing private classes at home without a work permit for that location.

Cal Roy likes this.
  15. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Stick with plan A cal and go for the money in the bank ....declaring earned income on Thai soil without WP may leave you on thin ice.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2016
    Cal Roy likes this.