1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'Economist' view on Thai education

Discussion in 'Education from Thailand' started by Gor Blimey Guvnur!, 20 Jan 2017.

1. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

2. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

3. stfranalum

stfranalum Well-Known Member

is it culture making the schools so bad....or schools-so-bad making the culture the way it is (in regards to free speech and letting people voice their concerns)

i dont think it matters to be frank. you can out-methodology your way while holding onto cultural systems where people cant speak up...corruption is rife...

frankly, i think schools are the scapegoat in regards to thailand's woes.

4. OxfordDon

If you're worried about free speech in Thailand, then you must really be loving Saudi Arabia.

5. stfranalum

i didnt know this was about saudi arabia. got any insights to share?

(im not holding my breath)

6. OxfordDon

Well, you've told us a few times that you're in Saudi (and I've told you I've spent a few years working throughout the Gulf, including Saudi). Two observations:

- whatever you think about freedom of speech in Thailand, Saudi is far worse. Not to mention the other curtailments of freedom in Saudi.

- you must be pretty unhappy in Saudi if you spend your time complaining about Thailand on a Thai site; but then you've told us you were unhappy in Thailand too.

sirchai and Stamp like this.
  7. stfranalum

yes, this is a forum about teaching in thailand.

but go on about any insights in regards to freedoms or lack thereof in saudi. (im glad i didnt hold my breath, because you obviously have nothing to say)

"you think thailand is terrible"
    "you are unhappy"

bravo.

again, another know-it-all. you must be stoked at where you are in life. i mean, on the perch and such. it's a great view (into other's minds)

dont let me stop you though. it's a fun trainwreck-in-progress to watch.

8. stfranalum

nice job on the moderation stamp.

stfran: make a comment about the topic
    oxford: make it a personal comment- not about the topic, but about me.
    stamp: "like"

<slow clap 4 stamp>

9. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks.

bahn_farang likes this.
  10. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Not really a nice move from you, stfran. OD made a very polite and topic related post and I absolutely agree that the freedom of speech doesn't exist in Saudi.

Yours looks like the response of an unhappy child.

What about some facts?

<Saudi Arabia has one of the worst human rights records in the world as the country routinely imprisons and executes dozens of people labeled as "enemies of the kingdom".

According to Human Rights Watch (HRW), the reign of King Abdullah - who died on Friday (23 January) at the age of 90 - brought about "marginal advances for women, but failed to secure the fundamental rights of Saudi citizens to free expression, association, and assembly."

The country often sparks worldwide outrage for its repression of basic freedoms and persecution of political opponents and human rights activists.

Torture

Thousands of people are protesting at Saudi embassies around the world, following the caseof activist blogger Raif Badawi, sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in prison for advocating free speech on his blog.>

Source:
    Saudi Arabia: Five worst human rights abuses in the reign of King Abdullah

Saudi Arabia.jpg

11. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! Thread Starter What the duck ! Staff Member

...but it is nice to get a different perspective that is outside the holds on the press within these borders, don't you think Don? Hence I thought it would be nice to offer others a read and was well aware of previous stories ....I read every post on this site, its my part time job lol.

Oh umm yeah ...it is about Tie-land en it to keep it so so on mars bar. :lost it