1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool Thailand's answer to Netflix..?

Discussion in 'The Movie and Television Lounge' started by DigitalGypsy, 7 Nov 2015.

1. DigitalGypsy

DigitalGypsy Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Anyone try out iFlix.com yet? It looks pretty good and costs only 100 baht a month - there's a free month trial too (I'm in the process of moving so I'm holding out on using the free trial to test the net connection in my new place).

It ticks all the boxes in what I'm looking for, so I really hope "it does exactly what it says on the tin". It can be used on 5 devices (2 simultaneously), and they're in the process of adding a download-to-view-later option. I've emailed them about audio stream languages and Thai subs etc. but still waiting to hear back from them. Judging by their Twitter feed they look like a legit and professional outfit, but as I reside in the land of illusions I'm tentative in my advances ;)

Fingers crossed,

DG

2. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

that looks really good. but how would you get it onto your tv? connecting through a laptop?

3. DigitalGypsy

I was thinking about that myself. First option is laptop via HDMI connection. There may also be a method if you have a smart TV, like an app or something to use. Or if you have apple TV that might also be another option.

I'm wondering if any of those USB dongles may support it, like Google Chromecast. I'm going to ask them about the options, I'll post the response I get on here (if any)

po3try likes this.
  4. DigitalGypsy

OK, so I finally got a reply. It looks like a laptop HDMI cable to TV for now, but they are working on a Smart TV fix, supposedly.

My questions were the following,

-are the movies multi-language, as in can I select English audio with Thai subtitles simultaneously, and vice versa?

-does every movie/show offered support Thai subtitles, or English where the audio is Thai?

-are there options to choose the resolution: such as 1080, 720, and so on?

-do you offer 3D movies in your catalogue?

-can watch iFlix on a regular TV? Do I connect a laptop to it? Or is there a smart TV app I can use?

Response:

Only the subtitles of the movies are the ones that you can change the language. So if you happen to view an english movie, the audio is still english but you can change the language of the subtitles or if you happen to view a Korean drama, the audio is still Korean but you may choose to go with an english subtitle.

I hate breaking bad news but... not all our videos have subtitles yet. Well, not just yet. If you find titles that don't (they are the movies that don't have the rectangular icon), just stay calm as our trusty tech wizards are in the works of adding subtitles to our entire library. I hope I can tell you its easy.. but it takes time because our library is just. freakin'. BIG! But we'll get to it! For now, enjoy the ones that has, and keep a little patience for those that doesn't have yet! :)

For now, we don't have the option of manually changing the video resolution because the quality of the video automatically adjusts depending on the speed of your internet. I wish we have 3D movies in our catalogue. But we do not. :( But never give up the hope. Science is always evolving and who know what we can have soon. So make sure you stay tuned! I hope I was able to answer your questions.

I hate breaking bad news... but there's really no easy way of telling you that iflix does not support Smart TV's. Well, not just yet! But, our tech wizards are working twice as hard to make it compatible. So, don't you worry, my friend, Smart TV's will be iflix-approved in due time! :) For now, you can use an HDMI cable to connect your phone to your TV so you can mirror or extend your phone's display! Or, if you have a Chromecast, you can use the dongle to cast to your Smart TV from your phone!

5. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

6. Teacher MARK

Teacher MARK Banned

If you are running an android based device (4.2 or later) use the 'screen mirroring' feature and a newish TV.
    If your TV doesn't support Miracast, get a dongle or a device that does.

By the way - as good as this looks and as cheap as it is, once you've bought a satellite dish the TV is free for life... and torrents are even free-er!

7. DigitalGypsy

iFlix Update:

So been using the 30 day trial for the past few days, not bad for a free trial, not sure if I'd sign up tho. The movie catalogue seems dated, very few new releases. The HD video stream is not as HD as I'd like either. I'm used to 1080p crisp standards that I get from my go-to torrent sources, something is lacking in the iFlix stream, not sure what resolution it streams in either as it doesn't tell you. The audio is also the same, not as crisp or clear as my usual sources, and I noticed a drop in volume output in comparison. Def not Netflix standards, I'd wager...

Just thought I'd drop an update on this thread, in case anyone was thinking of subscribing :smile

DG

8. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

thanks DG. I'm thinking about it more and more as it seems my go to torrent sites seem to be closing/going down more often.

9. SausageS

SausageS Member

I use ShowBox on the TV. It has a good enough range of movies and TV series. It also links in to the opensubtitles site to grab subtitle files.
    There is also a facility to download the movies or TV program. It's then possible to copy them to an external device set up on a network share.

It does a good enough job for me and doesn't keep rebooting the TV like the FilmOn apps do.

10. Hey_ewe

Hey_ewe Well-Known Member

I haven't used iflix, but I can thoroughly recommend ilikehd for live UK ,German, Russian and French TV. You can buy a couple of hours at a time, ideal for people just wanting for watch the premier league or you can get a monthly subscription. I believe they have films on demand too but I haven't used that part of their service.
    You buy 'true money' credit at 7/11 or you can pay by card via paypal etc. You can get 50/100 baht worth of credit from 7/11 to test it out, rather than have to subscribe to an ongoing monthly service or give your cards details. So its 100% no commitment and secure

It has sky sports 1-5, BT sports, movie channels, basically anything you'd get with a sky subscription, plus all the Thai CTH channels for football. I believe that they must stream from within Thailand, because its very quick with no buffering. The Thai network channels are free to test out and I've found that the speed is the same for the foreign channels. The picture quality is very good, I watch on a large screen and its crystal clear HD. Obviously all of this is dependant on your internet connection so try out the free Thai channels first.

I have CTH at home, but as of next season, Truevisions have the rights to the premier league again and there is no way I am paying them 2500-3000 baht a month, so I will be shifting over to ilikehd, it's about 500 baht a month for all the channels I would need and it will still work when it rains, unlike CTH!!

If you do like it and join, please use my referral code or link and give me a few hours of free telly! Thanks =D

Form Login

referral link iLikeGroup

referral code 433972

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 23.10.02.png

11. DigitalGypsy

Anyone tried Netflix here yet? Just wondering if they've started including Thai subtitles...?

12. po3try

po3try Well-Known Member

Just installed this on my phone UKTVNOW and it looks brilliant apart from there not being a schedule available.