1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai will become world language

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by Aj Michael, 12 Jan 2017.

1. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Thread Starter Well-Known Member

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

sirchai likes this.
  3. portnoy58

portnoy58 Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful world!

4. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

When? In the next life? :laughing5:laughing5:laughing5

Internationalteacher likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Tonyja and Aj Michael like this.
  6. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

My hamster died laughing, spinning on its wheel when I read it out loud for my wife.......5555555555555555555555555 Is it already the first of April? :cursing

WElcome to Thailand.jpg

7. Internationalteacher

Internationalteacher AKA phuketbound

^LOL... too funny.
    You wonder who comes up with these ideas.
    English is a world language and should be a high priority on their list to be paying their teachers better, getting good quality ones, and fixing their system.

8. sirchai

What the "man of the year" says doesn't really mean a lot. It's really sad that senior students at Rajabhat's have a problem to put one sentence in English together.

Yep, fixing their educational system should be on top of their list. It might take another 200 years for Thailand to become the Educational Hub."

But having generals and admirals on top positions doesn't seem to work in Thailand's favor.

9. marcusb

marcusb Active Member

"Is there a chance Thai will become a world language? Yes, if you do what I say!"

That creeped me out a bit.

Aj Michael likes this.
  10. sirchai

Nothing is impossible. Once there was a little man from Austria..........

The Greek's Gyros will then be Tyros, The Germans will eat Thaiwurst and the Brits will eat Plaa n' Fench Fais.....:cheers

Heil.jpg

marcusb likes this.
  11. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

Well given the number of indigenous languages spoken in Thailand, it is evident that Thai already is a lingua franca.

But I do disagree with Mr Prayuth about Thai being more difficult than English; by most factors of linguistic analysis Thai is substantially easier than English. I'm surprised more foreign linguists and English teachers living here are unable to get past the sawadi phase.

I am really looking forward to Mr Prayuth and Mr Trump getting together to discuss regional and world affairs.

12. Aj Michael

Aj Michael Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Yup, quite a number of indigenous languages are spoken in various parts of Thailand, something Bangkok pays lip service to at best. It doesn't fit with the Thai homogeneity myth.

In my experience and observation, Thai is a more difficult language to start to learn than English. Having cracked the basics and become familiar with the sounds that make up Thai, it is relatively easy to become conversationally fluent, as long as you use it.

13. OxfordDon

OxfordDon Well-Known Member

I agree Aj Mike, the initial barriers to entry of Thai look and sound pretty scary and I think that puts a lot of people off.

But even with reading, I couldn't believe I'd ever be able to read Thai, but a bit of practice every day goes a long way.

The other problem is the very real one of other indigenous languages and "dialects" - many parts of Thailand just don't speak the Central Thai of study/grammar books, even though it's understood.

And this leads on to another issue about English in the Thai curriculum - it often seems to replace the non-Thai mother tongue, leading ultimately to language death.

I know a lot of people complain about the MoE and education policies here, and often with good reason, but it's a much more complex challenge than "back home".

14. Davman

Davman New Member

Thai a World language? keep on dreaming.

15. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Well-Known Member

Thailand.....the mouse that roared.