1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai Tesol 2015

Discussion in 'Ongoing Teacher Development' started by bahn_farang, 14 Jan 2015.

1. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Here is another that's going on the same week. With any luck should have my quota of PD for this year all done and dusted in one week

2015 ThaiTESOL Conference

- - - Updated - - -

haven't registered yet. Worth it or not?

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

You can come and listen to me preach to the converted and unwashed.

It is par for the course (in terms of quality, keynotes and price) for this type of event.
    You are too late for the 700 baht discount (paid before Jan 1).

3. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

It was pretty good when I went last year. You've got to choose the relevant workshops for it to be useful though. Some of them are just thesis presentations which are theoretical castles in the air...

Can't go this year. No one told me about it and my current HOD would probably not let anyone go for training. Hopefully I get a more liberal HOD next year. Would like to go for THAI TESOL. Some interesting stuff there, and I need to learn to get the freebies and connections with the publishers. :P

4. bahn_farang

looks like this one is a no no. My boss has given me 3 days off to go down to Bangkok so an extra 1/2 a week was a short conversation. Next year perhaps.

Good luck ttompatz on the presentation.

Anyone know when the Oxford Day is. Free with a certificate of attendance is nothing to be sniffed at

5. ttompatz

Well.... done like dinner for another year.

The Keynote from Surin was interesting (he is an OK speaker) but nothing earthshaking and occasionally wandering off-topic with his anecdotes of events with Ms. Clinton and Ms. Madeleine Albright.

Most of the thesis presentations were what they are... thesis presentations (Master's level). I don't think there were any PhD dissertations presented.
    There was some research by a few profs doing their "regular publications and presentations" as part and parcel of their duties. Most were OK but as mentioned above, tended more to the theoretical side than the practical side.

There were a couple of interesting workshops on classroom management and co-operative learning for various levels.
    I kind of avoided the presentations on ICT subjects or those focused on teaching at the tertiary level but found some of the presentations regarding innovations in YL-TEFL to be on point and interesting.
    My own presentation was received OK with about 100-120 people in the room (capacity for my presentation was 240) and about 30 minutes spent on Q&A over lunch with a table full of interested ears.

The lady from the MOE on the closing panel had some interesting things to say (at least for people like me). Their lack of having any clue will ensure my continued growth and financial success for the next decade.

At least there were lots of door prizes for those who stayed to the end. I gained a new office clock out of it.

As always, it was a great opportunity to network with others in our field, share experiences and exchange ideas.
    I was asked to be a featured presenter at a couple of regional conferences later this year as a result. (A great way to attend a conference without any real expense other than incidentals).

6. bahn_farang

congratulations sounds like you were well received and by a good sized crowd too! What were you talking about?

7. ttompatz

Teaching English?

PM sent.