1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Movie and Television Lounge' started by Matthew, 5 Dec 2010.

1. Matthew

Matthew Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I think we can probably all agree that excellence in Thai cinema is a rare bird. But it's out there. This thread is for recommendation and discussion of Thai moves.

One of my favorite Thai movies is "Cherm" or "Midnight, My Love" starring comedian Mam Jok Mok in a kind of Bill Murry type of understated dramatic roll that really works somehow. IMO this movie comes out of nowhere with great cinematography, quirky scenes, good acting, and a full-hearted story that is so rare in Thai movies.

Cherm (Wiki)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's easily found in those 'Scorpion' DVD shops but unfortunately isn't available with English subtitles. This really is a damn shame.

What Thai movies would you recommend? What stands out from the usual tripe?

2. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

"The Shutter" was the first Thai movie I ever saw. I was impressed!

[​IMG]

3. Wangsuda

I really liked that one as well.

4. Matthew

Mam Jok Mok is also in this little comedy gem, which can be found with English subtitles.

[​IMG]

I've heard the sequel is a stinker but that's sequels for ya.

Pretty sure he also directed it.

5. Matthew

I'm not a huge horror film fan but I'll check that one out if you say it's worthwhile.

Actually I do dig watching horror, just not too often. A great horror film is definitely a good time.

6. Wangsuda

Ah, Yum Yasoton! Always has the family in stitches!

7. Matthew

It's got all the Thai slapstick stuff but has much better momentum than most like it, and many of the jokes really do translate well. They seemed to save up a lot of the 'quality material' for this one...plus the whole washed out colorful 60s look is pretty cool.

8. Wangsuda

I have a copy minus subtitles, if you ever swing by the house again.

9. Matthew

Cool, Wang.

I saw this in the theatre at Phrom Phong 4 or 5 months ago. Really incredible. An artistic and kind of socially-philosophical documentary.

[​IMG]
    "Sawan Baan Na"

Don't know if it would be half as powerful on the small screen because both the sound and photography were stunning writ large in the theatre, but surely still worth a look. A very real and tragic story arc does in fact emerge as the firm takes off...what you really come away with it an impression of how close Thai families are, and how close to the LAND they WERE, once upon a time, in a disappearing/disappeared "Agrarian Utopia"...

[video=youtube;Pj4eHeo_l7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj4eHeo_l7g&feature=related[/video]

10. Matthew

"The Tin Mine" from 2005 is a good movie. I couldn't find one with English subtitles on YouTube, but much of the movie is there.

I've seen it a couple of times on Thai TV, once with English subtitles. A 'serious' and expressive Thai drama, nice movie.

[video=youtube;YU-2D7O7Pe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU-2D7O7Pe8&feature=related[/video]

11. bird

bird Member

The Holy Man was very funny:

luangphiitengza4.jpg

Beautiful Boxer was alright:

1242098628218.jpg

luangphiitengza4.jpg

1242098628218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  12. Matthew

^ cool. I was a bit disappointed by BB as well.

13. cuey427

cuey427 Member

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (or ลุงบุญมีระลึกชาติ / Lung Bunmi Raluek Chat)

It's had a lot of excellent press (from Western film critics) after scooping the Palm D'or at the Cannes Film Festival last year, and it lives up to that. A really nice meditative look at death in a nutshell! It's different, amusing, heart-warming and essential viewing.

YouTube - "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" (Official Trailer)

Wikimedia Error

I have most of the full length films by director Apichatpong Weerasethakul, with English subtitles. My understanding is that they are not so widely available in Thailand , certainly at the cinema (a bit too arthouse!) If anybody is interested, let me know!

Wikimedia Error

14. Matthew

Did you download them? Where'd you get them? I'd very VERY, VERY, VERY INTERESTED in getting 'Syndromes + A Century' and anything else (I had tropical malady and the other one you can find around here, but lent them both out and you know how that goes)...

Please let me know and I'm PMing you now.

15. Matthew

I saw Syndromes and a Century @ the Museum of Fine Art in Boston, it was fucking awesome.