1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai culture course information for 2017

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by michaelguk, 22 Feb 2017.

1. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Are we talking present / future or past tense here?
    I refer back to the comment that was quoted in the OP of this thread:
    If you have a PGCE or other education related credential (Dip.Ed, Dip.T, B.Ed, M.Ed, MA.T, etc) for as long as there is no "authorized" culture course you have nothing to worry about. You can waiver until you are blue in the face and the moon turns rainbow colors.​

The next line was: Once a new Culture Course is authorized, take it and get your license.

There was a panel plenary presentation from the MOE in regards to licensure of foreigners. They discussed the process and how it is currently being implemented on a voluntary basis (meaning that there is probably no license) this year and they "hope" to implement it next year.

IT is NOT passed into law or formal policy yet. After listening to the panel I don't hold great hope for it.

Insofar as the documentation issues (from another related thread) and related to the Thai Language, Culture, and Professional Code of Ethics for Foreign Teachers Course this process we are seeing now is very much like the growing pains that S.Korea went through in the late 90's from the implementation of the degree requirement through the apostille requirements (2006), followed by the police clearances (after the CPN pedophile incident of 2007).

BUT since this is Thailand the process will be twice as convoluted and 3 times more complex than it needs to be since the Thai "experts" are doing it without talking to anyone other than other Thai experts so effectively implementing it (think NIETS) might bring about a bunch of new issues.
    Policy announcements like this are often followed by inept or incomplete implementations then revert back to whatever ineffectual method was in place before.
    This is not the first time the "culture course" has died.

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your reply, ttompatz.

What I got from news articles in the past is that the powers to be were looking into a course for teachers without a degree in education or equivalent, to become a TCT licensed teacher. Such a course would comprise of 40 hours of study and included the Thai Culture course. For teachers with a degree in education or equivalent, the (old) Thai Culture course was still in place, hence the entrance requirements that applicants had to hold a degree in education or equivalent.

Previous replies from our members that the current Thai Culture course for education degree holders has been abandoned is new to me. How do these teachers get their teacher license then? They're not the target group for the new course that has to be developed.

Any further info would be appreciated.

michaelguk likes this.
  3. Stamp

I had a look on the pages that contained the information on teacher licensing. Still the same! No new rules announced.

4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Yep

Abandoned? See post#14

My question from post#14 ...fair enough question eh as I'm sure that the folk who have put all the hard work in doing an M Ed or Dip Ed would like their gold card ...but can't cos' no TCC can be done and the rules on KSP website 'appear' to be the same that you need a TCC too. Guess these hard workers don't wish to go blue in the face on waivers eh.

So as to Stamp above thx for looking too ..be nice if anyone out there knows better and please post, ty.

5. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I've made mine through the Private School Teacher's Association in 2008. The course was held in upper Isaan by a professor and a doctor.

The one made thru an agency is worth nothing, but the one from 2008 was accredited by Khurusapha when I was asking them a couple of years back.

The course was nine years ago and that I'll have to enroll for another/ new one is pure insanity at its best.

6. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Several off topic posts removed. Thx GBG.

7. Casimir

Casimir Member

I went to kurusapa last wednesday (02/22/17).
    I've given my documents for the TL. (should get it within 2 weeks)
    I also asked about the thai culture seminar.
    2 filipino teachers get all the documents to apply for the TL except the thai culture seminar, so I've asked: Is it a problem? The answer: Not a problem!
    Can they get the TL without it? The answer: Yes they can.

conclusion? I don't have, we're in Thailand!

(for info, I live in the north, bus to bkk, mochit a 5am, Bus 509 to pitsanulok road. I arrived at kurusapa offices at 6:20 am, 6 thai teachers were already there. I took my queue number 701, the first!. At 8:30 It started, at 8:45 I was out.

8. Stamp

2 weeks processing time for the teacher license? The TCT writes in its documents they need up to 3 months. However, in general they need 1 month.

9. Casimir

Casimir Member

No, once they receive the letter, they will send a letter saying that my TL is in process. So I can renew my visa on time.

10. michaelguk

michaelguk Thread Starter New Member

I'm just investigating a Thai culture course now after seeing a post about providers.

I wanted to ask some advice again. I'm working in my second school. Right now, I am early on in my employment and they have not generated any paperwork as yet so I am considering my options. In my first school, the school applied for and received a 2 year teaching waiver. This was my first waiver. I left there before the waiver had finished.

IF I use my second (and final) waiver at this school and get my Thai Culture course certificate, can I then go and get a PGCE qualification, come back to Thailand fully qualified with the Thai culture course certificate and be okay to get a teaching job again??

Such a confusing mindfield, I am hoping someone can clear this up for me?

Thanks

11. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

not only would you be good to go, you could likely land a job at a very posh school.

12. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

You need the PGCE (or other education qualification) to take the culture course.

Currently there is no Culture Course since there is supposed to be a new program for licensing that is available in May/June on a voluntary test basis that is supposed to be implemented by next year (so said the MOE deputy secretary and panel members during the plenary panel session of the last Thai TESOL conference).

13. michaelguk

michaelguk Thread Starter New Member

Yes just found out (today) I'd need the PGCE anyway to take the Thai Culture course.

Okay just to explain the scenario again. If I used a second waiver now, then left the school for the UK to do my PGCE. Could I then come back, get a job at a school (bearing in mind I'd used my 2nd waiver) and STILL take the Thai culture course?

That's the third opinion and counting about the Thai culture course. Some people say it's on and say some it's on. *Sigh*

Could you just clarify for me the second paragraph of your reply? You mention something about a new program for licensing in the pipeline?

14. Martman888

Martman888 Member

Far Eastern University indeed cancelled its TCLE for Dec. 2-4, 2016 and refunded several teachers in my school their registration fees because they TCT has claimed TCLE is no longer a requirement. We haven't yet tried to apply for a gold card for the teachers who are otherwise qualified (everything but the TCLE), but will be doing so soon and see what happens.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! and Stamp like this.
  15. Nab88

Nab88 New Member

Guys,

If I get it right it is a "not sure" whether the TCC is mandatory as of today, but there are schools that DO offer this TCC?

Moreover, do you know if the Thai Culture courses can be done while doing a post graduate education program (DipTep for example)?