1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai culture course information for 2017

Discussion in 'Teacher Licensing (TCT)' started by michaelguk, 22 Feb 2017.

1. michaelguk

michaelguk Thread Starter New Member

Thanks very much for this ttompatz. Has there been anything official about when a new Culture course might open again?

2. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

There are. Just call one of the accredited providers.

Teachers' Council of Thailand (TCT) accredits 6 institutions for the Thai Culture Course | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

The last one seems to be held in November 2016.

Thai Culture Course SKT 11 - 13 November 2016 | Thailand Teaching Asia - Living and Teaching in Thailand

3. michaelguk

michaelguk Thread Starter New Member

How often are the courses?
    How long do they last (duration) weeks/months?
    How much are they approximately dependant on provider?
    How easy are they to get onto?
    What documents are needed to get onto one?
    How long does the qualification last once taken?

Just to get an idea.

AND...Anyone been on one recently? How was it?

4. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Seems a bit random ...keep checking back or contact yourself as to the post by Stamp and links thereof
    Afaik a weekend, mine was some 6 or 7 years ago.
    I think as to cost? About 5k now?
    Easy as.
    A degree or post degree/diploma in Education (the credits thereof) and a bunch of stuff passport etc.
    Afaik forever?

Thread split so discussion can go further with help specific to Thai Culture Course. Thx GBG.

5. kiwidrew

kiwidrew Active Member

I did one a few months back, cost was 4500 Baht and 3 days duration. Was a bit one sided in the sense that they really only told you what they wanted you to hear. Like the old adage, there's the textbook and then there's reality. Furthermore some true racist colors began to show. All the time the Thai legal teacher was there, he was stating things like " you are not allowed to commit crimes in Thailand or you will face severe punishment". This was said whilst giving the African students the evil stare the entire time. Other than that it was quite interesting in parts.

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  6. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

OMG!

The Culture Course is back!?

Can the TCT TKT be far behind?

Laugh if you will, but Donald Trump is my president, so don't even think of saying that it will never happen!

If not, I don't blame Khuru Sapha for dropping them. They really threw unqualified farnags a lifeline, and most of us just waited for the requirement to go away, or paid 1,000 baht and never showed up, or just whined. I hope that foreigners are going to get a second chance.

7. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

I think that option of TCT tests is really a dead chicken (sry cant say d♡♡♡) never to return ...indeed the same fate, given the rumours, is that Khurusapha will become defunct and the reponsibilities of licensing & waivers will be taken over by the Mininstry of Education (MOE) or an entirely new body set up under their guidance.

However, as discussed before in other threads, the Thai Culture Course will likely remain as a requirement on top of your Education credits (eg. B Ed, M Ed, Dip Ed) to obtain a full teachers licence.

Watch this space and yes GC " never say never" but ...IMO.

8. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

Yup. That seems more plausible.
    (Hopefully unrelated to Larry, Moe, & Curly.)

9. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

I've got two Thai Culture Courses and have been living here for 15 years.

Where's the logic that those who settled down here, living here 24/7 have to do that shitty course again and again?

Excuse my language, I just don't get it.

10. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Why would you have to do it again and again?

11. JBauer

JBauer Member

Can only speak for myself, but I attended one, organised by one of the biggest schools in my area; when I applied for my teacher licence after passing TKT 1 or 2 years later, it was refused, as that school had not covered all of the material. I therefore had to travel quite far to do another one (at my own expense, as my own school had already paid for the first one and obviously shouldn't have had to pay for it again); I covered practically the same vastly irrelevant or obvious information and sanctimonious bigging-up as i had previously.

In case you are wondering, no, the organizing school didn't give out any refunds (I'm sure many of the many attendees would have had to pay for it themselves, so I guess I am lucky in one way). Nice little earner...

12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

SirChai and JBauer ... was your 1st TCC not from one on the list below? If so, then I think that maybe the problem, as back a few years ago there were quite a few providers who are now presumably not recognised. Mine is from number 5 on the list ...still valid? I assume so but hey you never know lol. (Kiwidrew's recent one from number 3 on list)
    6 accredtited.png
    :go
    The above is the current list of accredited institutions to enrol for a TCC. Correct as of 2016 and I believe unchanged (From link in Stamps post#2)

13. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

If you received a certificate from the TCT then it doesn't matter who the provider was.
    If you received 2 certificates and ONE was from the TCT then you are still OK
    (eg: in my case I received one from the university that provided the course (Suan Dusit Rajabhat) at the end of the course and about 6 weeks later received one directly from the TCT).

If you received only 1 certificate and it was ONLY from the institution and NOT from the TCT then you MAY have problems with it.

14. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

LMAO ...I just called PSTAT (No. 3 on list) asking when the next TCC would be ...."Not any more, dont need a TCC, as Khurusapha have changed the rules beginning of this year". So how do I now get my full teachers licence? ... "Look at the Khurusapha website".

Ok and so I did, and as far as full TL goes it is still a requirement as far as I can make out ...wtf or is it just a lazy lack of update by TCT? (screenshot today from link below)
    Fookers lol.png
    คุรุสภา

Clear as mud ...have had a mill around their garbage website and can find no info as to 'rule changes', in fact no news or updates this year on anything lol ... anyone else care to give it a go as I find it painful to look further.
    :lost it

15. JBauer

JBauer Member

I first took the culture course quite early on in my time; I had no idea there was a problem with substandard providers (or how the process really worked) until much later (actually, not until after I found this website). I would assume that many who went on such courses might never have had a problem (short time teachers who leave Thailand before they really need to use the certificate for anything).