1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TESOL - Just Another Confusing Acronym?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by DavidUSA, 19 Sep 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I know. I was in about fifty. But it was very rare to be somewhere and be unwanted. I remember the old days of hiding in the garage of a German family during a mock war in Germany in 1988. Mom used to bring us coffee and brotchen with ham and cheese in the mornings, and let me tell you, that was the best coffee I ever tasted.

The US military is not what most people might think. They get a lot of bad press, but the overall relationships with the locals can be very positive--even in Afghanistan, Qatar, Egypt, and Thailand. The debacle in Iraq has poisoned the well, but being in the military prior to 9-11, getting to travel all over the world with a pocket full of cash, that was the best thing possible. It was an incredible journey that included about 30 trips to Thailand, and I wish I could do it all over again.

I think this role the US has played is about to come to a screeching halt. Twenty years from now it will be a Chinese guy walking across the airport, getting ready to fly to Chile or Mali or Khon Kaen, to do his part for his country and the world. Or, at least, he will believe it.

Pox Americana began after 9-11 due to leadership failure, something which has continued and probably will worsen. Pax Americana was the good-ol'-days, with that blip called Vietnam. Those days of relative stability are going to be missed.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2016
  2. DavidUSA

The US is still holding on to its heroic identity, more or less, and the power is still there. A few countries in the world might have a significant part of their populations that want to stick out their tongues at the US, but at the first sign of trouble they will be glad to have someone with some balls who is ready to fight.

The truth is that America is the most loved country in the world, and it sucks. I can't get away from rap music and NBA basketball, not even in central China.

3. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Visas are about politics, foreign policy and reciprocity ... not popular culture.

4. DavidUSA

But reciprocity, foreign policy, and politics have a lot to do with popular culture, what is popular, and what is going on in the USA.

My point about the visa to Russia has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I do not want to give the Russian thugs my $200. If I could go as an academic and only pay $15, that would be excellent.

Thanks for the idea of going to a conference up there.

5. DavidUSA

Ooops. I meant that America is loved so much and our culture is so prevalent that it is almost impossible to get away from it.

Being loved or unloved is not the problem. The problem is finding a place America has not taken over, destroyed, or seeped into the minds of everyone.