1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TESOL - Just Another Confusing Acronym?

Discussion in 'Qualifications & Courses' started by DavidUSA, 19 Sep 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

As you know, the basic TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) certification is given by the TESOL International Association, which is based out of Alexandria, Virginia.

A new course is starting up in January of 2017, and the registration begins soon. The price, from what I can gather, is around $730 for those of us who live in relatively poor countries (which they charmingly refer to as "global"). They offer all kinds of courses, but some do not lead to a certification. Their website is clear like mud, so read the small print and use your imagination when trying to find where to click.

Their website, TESOL International Association is amazingly convoluted. Yes, there are all those smiling faces of different colors--that is important, something omnipresent on American websites--but it is really hard to get real information. In fact, it is as if they are hiding it. Hmmm. I usually give up when I go to their website, but yesterday I stuck it out and actually made sense of it.

In the effort to lengthen my resume, I see that I can become a member for only $60. That is, a member as a "lower income professional" because my salary is less than $25,000. If this itself were not reason to celebrate, I can become TESOL certified for a mere $730.

The instruction looks good. See the attached application form.

Attached Files:

sirchai likes this.
  2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Instead of going with the big USA flavor.... try one of the more local varieties.

Asia TEFL is $10 per year. ::: Asia TEFL :::
    Thai TESOL is free. ThaiTESOL | Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages

Other, regional TESOL organizations (KOTESOL, JALT, PELLTA, MELLTA, TEFLIN, JACET, ETA-ROC, FEELTA, ACTA, PALT, ATESOL, etc) are similarly low priced and they are all affiliated with one of the biger umbrella organizations (TESOL International or IATEFL).

Personally, I have presented at the KOTESOL (Seoul), PELLTA (Penang), FEELTA (Vladivostok), Thai TESOL (twice) and Asia TEFL (once) conferences and think highly of our regional organizations. They are usually well represented at the bigger conferences as well (2 of my colleagues presented at the TESOL conference in Toronto in 2015).

DavidUSA likes this.
  3. DavidUSA

Thanks. Very good to know.

Now, in defense of the US TESOL, take a gander at the picture of the Thailand TESOL meeting at the Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen. Read the banner.

Picture Worth a Thousand Words.jpg

Last edited: 19 Sep 2016
  4. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

I did. And then?

Gor Blimey Guvnur! likes this.
  5. DavidUSA

Ooops. I actually believed that they spelled "globalization" incorrectly. Now I see that it is a play on words. What a grim view I have. Sorry.

6. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Never mind.

IMG_8541.JPG

7. ttompatz

As a jaded soul who has been dealing with public education in Asia I can understand your "grim view" but it is time to put your ethnocentrism away. The regional and national TESOL / TEFL organizations are actually well considered and rank up there with the umbrella organizations.

The FEELTA conference in Vladivostok last June had speakers and papers from researchers located all over the globe including from universities in western Europe, North America, the UK and a good representation from east Asia.

Asia TEFL will be co-hosted with TEFLIN in Yogyakarta, Indonesia next July. "ELT in Asia in the Digital Era: Global Citizenship and Identity".
    Paul Nation certainly ranks up there as a pretty good speaker and he is 7th down on the list.

PELLTA will be next April. "The 21st Century Classroom: ELT Practices and Inovations. Paul Matsuda (past president of the American Applied Linguistic Association) and Willy Renandya (formerly of RELC) are always worth an hour or 3 of your time.

Thai TESOL will be in Bangkok next January, "ELT Pathways to Professional Excellence". I think even you would find Dr. Christine Coombe to be both interesting and informative. She certainly was at the last Asia TEFL conference.

bahn_farang and DavidUSA like this.
  8. DavidUSA

You are right.

9. DavidUSA

Still learning.
    Sounds like glycosylation - the process of adding glycosyl radicals to a protein to form a glycoprotein

10. DavidUSA

Still learning.
    Sounds like glycosylation - the process of adding glycosyl radicals to a protein to form a glycoprotein
    glockalization - putting a Glock handgun in every room of one's residence

11. DavidUSA

Ethnocentrism:
    characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior

"Let it go, let it go..."

12. DavidUSA

I discovered something important: that TESOL website has all kinds of interesting career development stuff. It also has a big list of high-end jobs for teachers.

"Let it go, let it go..."

13. DavidUSA

This is really interesting. I would love to go to Russia on the visa for academics. That would be better than the one that costs $200 for a visit.

Can I ask? How did the visa go? Did you sent you back $200?

I want to visit Russia, but I don't want to pay them that much for it.

14. ttompatz

$200...
    Current pricing for Americans is 131 for single entry and 250 for a double (tourist, edu or humanitarian (the one you need to speak at a conference)).
    I paid $35.
    It just sucks to be American and unloved.

Pick a country that isn't mad at the USA. They are usually free to visit.

15. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

If you are in the military the US OF A will pay you to go to a whole list of countries that don't won't you to be there.