1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching until you jump in the box?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by sirchai, 28 Sep 2016.

1. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear. May all gods/ buddhas be with you to achieve your goal!

2. gungchang

gungchang Well-Known Member

I hope to renew my license when I return. That would take me to age 70 working legally, should I choose.

Otherwise, Ko Kha was quite a change of pace. There are lots of places I could slum it for a year or two.

Between renting the condo in Bangkok and social security, we would have enough to live comfortably outside of Bangkok. If I was still working, even at 30K, my wife would be drowning in lottery tickets.

I don't see a master's degree in my future. The bachelor's, the CELTA, and the Thai license may be it for me.

sirchai likes this.
  3. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

Jump in the box?

Play in the box... that is Russian.
    Put down the spoon... that is Latvian.
    Get married... that is Taliban.

4. DavidUSA

It boils down to making money and doing something you enjoy in a place that you like.

But we see education shifting away from brick-and-mortar schools. That seems to be a good opportunity for those of us dedicated to living in a country with a low cost of living and good internet connections.

I have been writing a book on grammar, and I started an online business. My eventual goal is to start a school in Thailand and integrate a brick-and-mortar school with an online component.

I recently had a big surprise. Two of my private students, who I used to teach at my kitchen table, both took high honors in that recent Thai academic competition. That is, they won First Place and Second Place in, I believe, Isaan.

My methods and materials probably did not hinder them, but the secret to the success is clear: mom. This is something I am learning in China: mom, dad, grandmas, and grandpas are all important, probably key.

I recently attended a meeting in my school in China in which the parents and grandparents sat down and went over their kid's homework. This is routine in China. The gravity of the moment, the deep seriousness wiith which they discussed their child's education, I am still trying to absorb it. My eyes almost popped out of my head. No joke, it was grave and amazing, but it was also desperate. In China, it is as if education were absolutely the most important thing in life. I mean, the child's education is the most important thing in the life of the parents and grandparents. Yes Toto, we are not in Khon Kaen or Kansas anymore.

Such a serious attitude is not going to fly in Thailand. Nor in most of the US, for that matter. But, at the same time, there is something to learn that can be applied, I hope.

sirchai likes this.
  5. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Theoretically, and I've got to use this word as I do not know what more games life's planning to play with me, as I've had quite a few unbelievable accidents without doing anything wrong. The absolute hit was an airborne Honda CBR (170 kg) that almost killed my wife and me. Only hitting the brakes saved us and only damaged the truck "only".

I saw the bike a few meters up in the air heading toward my windshield, my wife screaming like a pig that knows it will be killed with a shovel. ( That's how they kill pigs in wifey's village and the others have to watch. (Pure Buddhism?)

Then the speeding and red light doing pick up truck who almost killed me on my way to work at 6 am wasn't something somebody would somehow appreciate. The Kathoey, obviously under the influence of meth was even trying to bribe an older man who stopped at the other side, and saw all.

But he was a nice guy and said the truth. H wouldn't lie, not for a million baht were his words. Great.

It took three hospitals to find out how serious my injuries were. The spine was at three places fractured and nobody, excluding my wife and me knows about my three broken ribs. I wouldn't do wheelies in a wheelchair, if you know what I mean.....

I went through strange things, a couple of accidents, really not my fault and was lucky to have the SS. It was a big surprise to find out that a motorcycle insurance only covers up to 12 K, the rest has to come from somewhere else. In my case from my SS. I basically got way more out of them what I paid in yet.

But how do you get an insurance when you're too old? I'm 56 now and I don't know if they kick me out when I'm 60. Would I find an affordable one? Well, I doubt it to be honest.

How do you guys manage that when having a stroke, heart attack, or similar?

Even when the implanted plate was a complete medical disaster that made my Tibia head look like a forest after an Agent orange offensive where even I could see that I'd never walk like a normal person. Time to say goodbye to my beloved bike, sold it to a guy in Phuket that I could fly to Europe.

You'd think that it's easier to get Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria easier from a Thai hospital? Nope, one of the best orthopedic hospital didn't just put some Titanium in my leg, also some different and always changing types of this bacterium in and gave it enough time to eat all my flesh inside that I was so close to an amputation of my kick start leg.

No invitation of family, nor from friends, so I went the hard way and had to find a solution to get back into the system. I lived at a place for homeless people where three got killed within only 5 months. But the "good luck" was that I stayed in the hospital for the most of the time.

The social worker who did all for me to get back into the system and finally receive Hartz 4 did in a car crash only one week after I came back to Thailand, still on crutches.

Ticket wasn't changeable and I couldn't make it back in time, when Lufthansa showed what a strange company they really are. Even a few medical certificates and a lovely letter from the hospital didn't help me. I finally received an e-mail that I could buy a new ticket for the regular price. Great.

Then my wife's money ran out and I had to find a way to send her my ATM card. I tried to save a few Euros and finally got a cheap flight where people really drove me around in my wheelchair and helped me with my luggage.

I did think about trying to find a way for early retirement which would be way more than my old age pension and with Buddha's help, it might work out. First steps are already done and I knock on wood.

The "lifetime" of an artificial knee joint is max. 10 years.Mine was a special invention as too many bones were broken, so I might be looking at another one, two, maybe three years when the thingy has to get changed.

Of course can that not be done at the Sisaket hospital and I'd again have to find a way to get into the system back home, which isn't my home anymore. Nor do I want to stay at a place for homeless people again.

Okay, I just continue with my morphine which I receive from the local hospital and try to walk like nothing's wrong with me. I just keep smiling and dream about the holiday at the beach which I haven't seen in six years.

But everything is fine with me, took a day off on Friday to finish my Adolescence assignment that took me 9 hours and sent it in an hour before deadline.

Was approved by my Dr. yesterday afternoon. :thumbs up ( even when I didn't agree with bringing the cocaine addicted theories of Sigmund Freud into my classroom and did not write the assignment how they wanted it. There's too much phallus, vaginal and anus bla bla and I know that coke heads only think about sex).

The Internet stopped working the whole damn weekend, but only my Fiber, all the others near me had internet. But anyway, I had no time to write some nonsense, because I had to finish my grades.

I delivered all of them this morning and just wait for 4.30 that I can fingerprint out.

Life's fun, enjoy it. Just think about that it could be worse................ -:go10

Mati likes this.
  6. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Thinking too much... I've just turned 45 so that still leaves 15 years to put away 10k a month and see how i feel when I'm 60.

sirchai likes this.
  7. sirchai

I was 40 when I settled down in lower northeast and even without Big-C's, Makros, etc...a much better quality of living here as a foreigner and being a teacher. People at school called me Khun Kru Tangchaat, not Farang. plus plenty of other goodies. ( Which is pretty common these days, foreigners often make the headlines of the news doing weird things from bank robberies to child abuse.

I had two big bike and two car accidents, ( one was a brake malfunction that broke my leg five times, but wearing a helmet), the second bike accident happened when we reached a road where they build many houses and the clever Isssanjeros were using soap, or any similar products to remove the dirt on the road, which made it so slippery that not even people could walk on it and fell down right next to use.

The two car accidents were absolutely not my fault. One was caused by a red light doing and speeding kathoey in the morning at 6 am when I was on my way to work and they came back from a party, hammered and also on meth.

The second one happened when a speeding guy on a Honda CBR 125 didn't see a tractor with a trailer and drove, coming from the other direction, on the trailer, flew over both vehicles, landed on his feet without injuries, while his bike became airborne and heading toward my windshield. Only hitting the brakes saved my wife's and my life.

All accidents happened within six years and I stopped making plans what I'm going to do when I'm 66 and receive my 400 Euros from the German government. i recall your little problem when your gf/ wife decided to show the cops something you didn't really appreciate and you could buy your way out. I just wanted to remind you that you can plan whatever you want, life's always playing its own games with us.

Theoretically, you could visit Stamp, sit under a coconut tree and get killed by one. I really hope for you that you can really save 10 K per month, keep your job and be happy what you're doing.

What if somebody does a hit and run and you find yourself in a very bad situation and you have to find out the hard way that your partner doesn't support you?

Please don't get me wrong, there are so many things that can happen until you reach retirement age. If I were you, I'd rather try to pay the 10 K into your SS back home which would guarantee you a higher pension, even when being high.

Sorry, it happened again and my post became way too long that anybody wants to read that. but if you get my points and do something positive that you will have enough cash ponce retired, it was worth the time I've spent writing this.

My volunteer job for a German organisation is sometimes so stressful that I don't want to visit a sick old man in a hospital, but it's always the same story about people who do not have an insurance, need one or more operations, but there's nobody who will pay for it.

The Thai wives have already taken "their part" so no more milk for them and they leave the guy in situations, even when it's an emergency.

The last guy i visited was a "blue blooded guy", a Graf von........bla bla bla, who only drove Rolls Royce, nothing less before. he's so stupid to fall in love with a drug addicted Isaan bitch who gambled, then sold all the land ( about 25 Rai) and the "poor" guy had to buy it back from a dubious Chinese guy.

He built a shop for her not knowing that it was the meeting point for all the local criminals and drug dealers. Of course was his money used to buy " a little bit more" and she got caught and should be out by now.

The Mafia boss is already waiting for her and no matter how many million they get for the land, it won't land in his pocket. The guy now lives in an old house that urgently needs a renovation. But he doesn't have money anymore.

His 20 year old notebook's falling apart and the air card Internet isn't working fast enough to send an e-mail, or do any other things. All that might be the cause of the stroke he had, now he also has health issues with his right arm.

The guy can't show 400 k for a Non-O and was happy that they weren't asking him for financial proof in Swannakhet.

Tony, I hope that your plans are working out. best of luck for you.

Your last sentence made me smile. You're many years away from 60, so please drive careful.

'

8. Tonyja

Tonyja Well-Known Member

Huh..? I thought this thread was about teaching forever?
    I don't have plans mate. Everything can change in an instant.
    I don't believe in luck, I believe in karma.
    My new school want to give me more than my agency and move me from m2 to m6..that's my biggest dilemma right now, how to get out of my contract.
    Your sentence when you crashed into the kataoy (weren't you looking?) makes it sound like you were on meth too...

9. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Im getting on a bit now and I do hope that 2019 will be my final year as a T-shirt in edutainment here. As for after that, I won't retire and do zero, I intend to do "something else" with the wife too and with the capital that will be forthcoming. I am looking forward to this chapter in my life and will remain in Thailand.
    Good luck to all longtermers with your plans and I suggest you start thinking by the time you hit 50 or so.

10. sirchai

Tony, it was 6 am and I was on my way to work having green light. I couldn't see the speeding Toyota and he crashed into my side.

You're in a real bad situation because the school has a contract with the agency that the school is not allowed to hire teachers from the agency for usually two years. ( Could be one, but that's already a mess)

The only way to make that happen would be to resign at your agency, wait some time and start at the school directly. ( It would be great if you're the only foreigner working for the agency there)

School directors who usually make good money when taking an agency are scared to pay a hefty fine which is in the contract both parties have signed.

Your bloody mistake was to start for an agency first place. I truly hope that you'll find a way to get out of that dilemma.

I did the mistake once, but I'd never ever work for such arseholes who only see you as a number.

11. sirchai

I intend to do "something else" with the wife too and with the capital that will be forthcoming.

Without wanting to sound impolite, but what are you trying to change with your wife? There's a book, called Kamasutra and I can send you a free copy if needed. Life's too short to think too much.

12. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

Something outside education, but timing is a key too ...2019/2020 would be about right, so teaching for say another 3 or 4 years would be fine for me.
    As for in the bedroom, I improvise, still together after 15 years so I must be doing something right lol.

sirchai likes this.
  13. DavidUSA

The roads in Thailand are the second most dangerous in the world. Libya comes in first, but it is at war. As far as driving goes, there is a lot of wrong, wrong, wrong in Thailand, but no one is going to lift a finger. It is up to you.

I still have a car in Thailand, and it will be there in the garage when I come back. It will also be resting nicely once I live there again because the place is too dangerous for anything except necessary driving. Driving a motorycle is cool, but I would be extremely careful in Thailand. If you want to go to your hometown, you know, that one, then go for it. If you, dear reader, saw the same number of people die on the roads (in photos and in person) as I did in Nakhon Phanom, then you too would park the car and say forget it. All those people coming over the bridge from Laos did not help at all.

All of us who want to keep teaching should constantly be improving ourselves, we should move up the ladder, find better jobs if necessary, add qualifications, let time pass, hit retirement, and enjoy living in the Thailand before we go to the temple. If you are 62 and you do not have to work anymore, then it might be a good idea to keep teaching because it is good to stay active. By the way, what is the age limit for teaching English in Thailand?

14. Joko

Joko Active Member

I work with an Australian guy who's 65 years old. He can't retire.

He recently had a couple of heart attacks. He actually died in the hospital and was brought back to life.

He got 10 days off, and is now back teaching.

DavidUSA likes this.
  15. DavidUSA

Ski Jumping in Thailand

Hi Joko! So in Myanmar one can pretty much teach until it is time to put down the spoon (or chopsticks), right?

How about Thailand, anyone? I am curious. I think teaching can be a good retirement job, especially because of the respect and being part of the community. Staying at home all day is probably not such a good idea.

On a related matter, I am going to partially disagree with the idea that it is wrong to work for 30K in Thailand once one is a retiree. By the time one is 62, one should be financially ready for retirement. If one earns 30K from the school or 60K it should not matter that much. For a retiree the point should not be about the salary.

At the same time, a retiree should not be slaving away. If one can find an enjoyable job in a community that one likes, and if the school is good, then 30K + money from our home country should be enough in many areas because of the low cost of living. All of us as foreign retirees should have another source of income or two or three. In other words, coming to Thailand to make a lot of money is like going to Saudi Arabia for Valentine's Day. We should not be fighting it out for some love. That should have been consummated and turned into direct deposit before arriving at Suvarnabhumi.

I foresee myself as a retiree in Isaan, drinking Heineken, never Acha, with an MA in English, a couple books published, and a lot of teaching experience under my belt: 30K-45K. That is a lot of Heineken. Either accept that salary or start my own school. It depends on the area, the people, and how I feel. If you want to live in rural Thailand, then the plan for steady salary increases must have reached its apotheosis--that is called retirement. It is then a steady and enjoyable ride downwards after reaching the apex (much like ski jumping).

You should not have need for the money because you will have de facto retired.

When it is time to ski jump in the box, the consoling thing is not going to be that one had a "high" salary in Thailand.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2016