1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching until you jump in the box?

Discussion in 'The Teachers Lounge' started by sirchai, 28 Sep 2016.

1. sirchai

sirchai Thread Starter Well-Known Member

It must be a sort of midlife crisis, or an OMS ( old marriage syndrome), or similar that I often think about the time after teaching, actually being retired with a good pension coming in, living near my own beautiful beach, surrounded by eye candies who serve my cocktails, while three stunners give me a full body massage with their lips.

But, hmm, well, there are some things not really clear. The "old age pension" from my country of origin would be enough to eat a Mama soup daily. Now I'm looking at around 400 Euros, guess it was a huge mistake not to continue paying in the minimum to make sure that there's something I can be happy about, once the work's done

There're a few other possibilities that could help me to receive a higher pension way earlier, considering countless broken bones, an artificial knee joint, etc...and a plan that could work out well, but still very far away.

What are others thinking, once they're too old to teach Thai kids, or some health problems that might hit some of us sooner, hopefully later.....

Any back up plans for the future? I wouldn't really appreciate to work ten more years now, then being so burned out and living of 16,000 baht/month until I'm leaving this planet thru a chimney in wifey's village.

Just a few thoughts. Thanks in advance for your input.

Not to forget, we need to see all from a very positive side, not everybody gets as old as some of use already are.

Positive thinking helps a lot to live longer, but thinking about being 70 + years old and having three teeth, no insurance and one Mama soup per day, isn't really something I'm happy to look forward to. Mama Mia, hombre.

The youngster from Pattaya.jpg

2. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

Knock out your M.Ed or PhD.

Get a few books or research articles in print so people have something to refer to.
    Join some professional organizations.

Get on the conference circuit as a featured or guest speaker.
    [​IMG]
    There is a lot to be said for doing a conference each month, earning a stipend for doing it and having the conference pay for your flight and accommodations.
    [​IMG]
    Easy work (one to three days per month), non stressful, lots of interesting people to talk with and can last until the day you die.

One day at a conference is about the same as one month in the classroom in terms of income. Better incomes await if you are recognized as a speaker, have something worthwhile to say and people want to listen to you.

It is GREAT part-time work if you are up for it.

Beats knocking yourself out in hot classrooms of 50+ kids trying to get them to make "English sounds" for 30k per month.

Mati, Ajarn P. Paul, DavidUSA and 3 others like this.
  3. Stamp

Stamp Administrator Staff Member

Nice thread, sirchai.

Happens to a lot of Europeans. 400 - 800 Euro state pension and perhaps (a lot) more pension income from the private companies you worked for. Not for me in my case. Had too many employers.

The MAIN thing I think, we as foreigners should consider when looking in the future, is finding ways to comply with the financial immigration rules to stay in Thailand continuously. Those rules are currently a bank account with 400,000 THB when having a Thai spouse (wife or child) or 800,000 THB when single and over 50 years old. I don't think too much about having only 16k up to 32k per month to live on. When you're older, your needs will be different. Change of life style may be inevitable.

If I'm strong enough and still doing a good job for my students, why not? The current age for retirement in The Netherlands for people born before 1958 is 65 and born in or after 1958, it's 67. That's me then!

An honest question here, sirchai! Do you have a choice? Of course you have a choice. Let me rephrase myself. 70+/ no teeth/ no insurance in Germany or 70+ no/ teeth/ no insurance in Thailand? If you take care or have taken care of your Thai (step) children, they will take care of you when the time comes!

Only for hotshots as yourself, TT. I don't have much to offer. Not educated or experienced enough so to say.

Mati and sirchai like this.
  4. Wangsuda

Wangsuda Nonentity Staff Member

Me too. I spend a lot of time thinking about that.
    I want to buy a new cruiser and just ride. Thankfully, I can do that in any country :)
    Really? Wow! Just saved the money for the new bike! Thanks @Stamp!
    Yes. If everything goes tits up I do have a back-up plan. It isn't pretty, but it will get me through.

5. bahn_farang

bahn_farang Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post sirchai much to digest.

sirchai likes this.
  6. sirchai

Just wanted to say thanks, a lot of other things are waiting. I've promised to give all students of the two EP classes I've got a Rosetta Stone, the 32 language version for their break.

I'm not trying to get the money reimbursed, it's just something that really helps them and makes fun to learn alone.

Now I've got it set up that I only have to insert the next empty DVD. That's my way of giving them homework and I hope that some of them really appreciate it.

I use the program sometimes and it's really great. With,. or without sound, depending on what you want them to do. A great tool to learn how to read, as well.

If somebody likes to have a copy, please feel free to page me. I don't want any money for it. I'll have Friday off, took a personal leave day to finally submit my "adolescence age of hamsters in Ghana" assignment.

All my tests are already done and dusted and sitting on my desk.

I'll try to finish checking them them all tomorrow, hopefully no "special activity"....it seems that we have to come in in October, but there're only Thai activities.

God shave the Queen.

7. bahn_farang

just when you were making sense!

8. sirchai

Thanks a lot that you seem to take the post serious. My sister ran a cancer group in Germany and I just had a Skype chat about how unfair life can be to some people.

She finally received the highest award you can get from the German government, the so called "Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande" with a lot of "advice" when and how to wear it. She never wore it.....

Many of us are planning and planning and planning their lives, once retired. But life plays its own games with us and we'll never know what's going to happen to us.

A "little stroke", heart attack, or shut down by a Thai driver who leaves us bleeding in the middle of nowhere? No, I'm not planning my life in a way that i could tell anybody what I'm going to do in three years, because I might be dead by then.

I truly hope that all of us will stay healthy, money isn't something I really consider most important.

9. sirchai

I'm really exhausted and was trying to make a joke about the job that I'll have to do tomorrow or on Friday.

I didn't offend anybody, what i was trying to say was that the assignment itself is a better joke. You could give that to anybody who knows a little bit of English and the person would put some Sigmund Freud stuff together and try to make it look like it came out his/ her own brain.

If you have the chance to read some guys' stuff, you might ask yourself how this guy could even get a teaching position. I'll post mine and let you decide.

Honestly, I think you're too serious about a few things. Life's definitely too short to do such hair splitting things,. I beg your pardon, bahn farang.

Would we all have the same sense of humor the world and our lives would be so boring. Peace. :cheers

10. sirchai

Sorry, Stamp. I forgot something very important to add. Never underestimate yourself !!! Du bist nicht auf der Wassersupe hergeschwommen. ( That's a difficult one for a dutch German speaker, I assume..)

11. bahn_farang

Sirchai, please your apologies are not required.

All is good, thank you for the thought provoking post, lighten up man

12. ttompatz

ttompatz Just another teacher

It's not about being a "hotshot".
    Knocking out an MA/M.Ed these days is not expensive but it will take some effort. Tanstaafl.
    Then you do some "action research" based on your classes. Write it up.
    Your students will provide no end of material.
    A decently done, qualitative research project is neither expensive nor does it require that you learn all of that "statistics" stuff.

Present it at some of your local conferences (Thai TESOL anyone)? Not free but not expensive.
    Do it at some of the other ASEAN country conferences (TEFLIN, PEELTA, MEELTA, Cam TESOL, etc).
    Once you get recognized as someone with something to say people will begin to start asking you to say it at their expense.

Complaining about being a destitute poorigner destined to teach EFL to the grave is defeatist.
    If you don't like your retirement options then do something about it. It is only too late after you have 2 feet in the grave.

Even if you don't knock out an M.Ed, MA or PhD you can still self teach to become an expert in your field (who knows what you do better than you?), document what you do (research) and present your "findings" at conferences.
    It is just a bit harder to be recognized if you don't have some alphabet soup after your name but that doesn't mean your voice won't be heard.
    Write it up and submit it to the local EFL / TEFL / TESOL journals and magazines.
    Once people start to see, hear and read you then you will find opportunities coming to you.

Oh, and conferences are color blind.

DavidUSA, bahn_farang and Stamp like this.
  13. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Well-Known Member

I believe in professionalization, and I try to make steady progress. I need to get a TESOL certificate, and I would like to attend a couple conferences. The ideas mentioned above sound good to me.

I am animated by an ulterior motive: I want to master the English language. That elusive goal, and especially the deep, ugly ditches--participial phrases and why they are used, the simple present, the present perfect, modal verbs, the subjunctive--that have opened up and crossed my path, are enough to keep me busy for a long time. Figuring out the best way to explain it all is a real challenge, especially how to explain it without much reference to grammar.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2016
  14. SundayJam

SundayJam Well-Known Member

Impressive choice of endgame there, ttompatz.
    It looks like you've made all the right decisions.

I don't see myself with three remaining teeth and a mama noodle diet at 70, but I do consider things like strokes and hip replacement to be things I should avoid. However, whether I'm well off or poor, those things are gonna suck either way.

I enjoy teaching, and I hope I can do it till I'm 80.

Mati and Stamp like this.
  15. chuachinsoon

chuachinsoon Well-Known Member

Hmmm. ttompatz. That's got me thinking. I enjoy teaching at my current school, and the way things are going, it will get better... hopefully. :P I've just gone through a phase of mid-life crisis and have decided to continue teaching till I retire. Doing the conference circuit sounds like a good idea for the later years. I'm doing my M.A. at the moment. Will now consider following up with a PhD later. Thanks for the idea. :)

sirchai and Stamp like this.