1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by NODIIT, 5 Jul 2012.

1. NODIIT

NODIIT Thread Starter Well-Known Member

I feel like po3try get the point here: teaching Science in English is all about teaching "Big Bad Word" and a little bit of the concept hidden behind it.

Personally, as a secondary teacher, I do not spend too much time simplifying lessons (they are already simplified in the book I'm using now).

Most of the time I instead try to find many different way to explain a concept and them I repeat, repeat and repeat again.

Sometimes, one of these explanations reach the long-term memory part of my student's cortex.
    But I'm not really that good at aiming and most of the time they remember it one hour and then it's gone :smile2: ...

2. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I teach science to kids from k1 - p2. and the books I use are ridiculous. the k2 students are supposed to learn the composition of the inner and out belt planets in the solar system, and the p1 kids are supposed to learn the hydrological cycle. umm, right.

I tend to let my kids experiment more and I don't worry too much about the big bad words in the book. I figure if the activities make an impression on the kids they will want to know the name for what they are doing, and once they learn it, they are less apt to forget.

having said that, i envy no-one who teaches science to teenagers.

3. crew

crew Faber College Member

i used to teach science in an EP. i always figured i was teaching english through science.

no books. no materials. only an incomprehensible curriculum and no one looking over my shoulder. that is until the director of EP would inevitably tell me to make my exams easier.

4. r.a.s.n

r.a.s.n New Member

:no: I looooooooove teaching science to teenagers! They are awesome! I can actually explain things like I would to an adult and they are old enough and smart enough to ask questions back!

5. po3try

po3try Guest

me to. like why do we have 'hypothesis' pastered all through the book instead of 'what do you think will happen'..

6. r.a.s.n

r.a.s.n New Member

cuz it's called a "hypothesis." it's not called a "what do you think will happen." It depends on the grade level. I wouldn't see why any student under grade 3 or 4 would even need to know hypothesis. shouldn't they just be learning about the difference between plant and animal, or mammals have hair and birds have feathers, things like that???

7. r.a.s.n

r.a.s.n New Member

Sorry, po3try, I think I misunderstood what you meant. I totally agree, since I reread the previous postings and saw you are talking about 7 year old students, that they should just simply ask in the text "what do you think will happen." maybe in a few years they can understand that that IS a hypothesis. Apologies, again.

8. NODIIT

Hummm.. Drop it in a trash, build your own.
    Science Teaching in Thailand is still center on the "knowledge" not on specific concepts or student needs.
    Sometimes it make me cry: for example when I saw teacher asking kids to repeat 10 000 times all the apparatus of a cell...

Lucky you. I don't have access to a lab and if I need anythings I have to buy it by myself (and I refused to do that).
    Happily I have my own computer room so I can still use online resources.

You should. It is fun most of the time!
    My teaching rely heavily on drawing: globally I spend 2 third of my teaching time drawing things on the board or checking draws from my student: if you like drawing, it is fun ;) .

9. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

I love to draw, however, my artistic abilities leave quite a bit to be desired.

My personal philosophy is that I want to give the kids something to remember. an 'oh wow' moment in class that they will remember. If 10 years from now when they are in high school studying the theory it jolts their memory and they say, "I remember when that goofy white teacher did...." I will be stoked. And if it doesn't stick with them that long, that is OK too as long as they have 'oh wow' moment in my class where they saw the practical application of concepts too advanced for them at this point.

10. slamb

slamb Active Member

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

That's exactly what I did. We are primarily technical vocab teachers & during my CELTA the mantra 'pictures, gestures, realia' was drilled into me in regards to teaching vocab / lexis lessons.

11. slamb

slamb Active Member

I sort of see where you're coming from with this one but I think this particular word /concept is so important to science that it should be taught at an early age. It's a complex concept but I believe the students, as early as possible, should at least have an intuitive understanding of the difference between an hypothesis & a theory.

On a not totally unrelated note, my friend teaches G3 science. His vocab list includes 'genetic characteristics', 'genetic traits' & 'Deoxyribonucleic Acid'; unbelievable!

BTW our school publishes it's own books a.k.a gets Filipinos at an affiliated school to write them. :biglaugh:

12. ramses

ramses Well-Known Member

quite agreed

I think there is a slight disconnect between where I teach and where slamb and some of the others teach in so much as I teach to children who by and large fluent (more than 90% of my students are) in English. So I usually forego a lot of the vocabulary in the book (carnivore, omnivore, and herbivore) in favour of words they are already familiar with, and put them together in ways they have not previously connected them (meat-eater, plant-eater, eats both). In a way, I am glad I am not trying to kill 2 birds (teach science & english) with one lesson.

The fact that I would be teaching a lot of English to teenagers whilst teaching science probably has a lot to do with my lack of enthusiasm ...

13. NODIIT

A good one.
    Maybe I will get it as a tattoo somewhere on my... well, somewhere :D !