1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teaching Position in China--64,000 Baht + housing

Discussion in 'Teaching Jobs You Know Of' started by DavidUSA, 25 Oct 2016.

1. DavidUSA

DavidUSA Thread Starter Well-Known Member

A position will be open in Haian, China at a training school (kids 3-18). It is a new school, I know the owners, and they are nice people. 64,000 Baht (equivalent, after taxes) + housing + insurance + bonus upon completion of the contract.

The location is very good. You will be one hour outside of Shanghai, and in your free time you can go down there and make big bucks, if you like. Haian is a nice place: developed and prosperous.

I will assist you and advise you if you decide to take this job. It is a new school, I have met the teachers, and everything is good. They gave me the VIP treatment for a demo class I gave. I know they will treat you really well. If you are interested, we need to move fast because this job will be taken quickly.

Write me if interested. BA/TEFL/one year of teaching experience/criminal record check

Must be from the US, Canada, or Great Britain-- male or female, 25 to 60

2. Gor Blimey Guvnur!

Gor Blimey Guvnur! What the duck ! Staff Member

No Ozzies, Kiwis, Southern Irish, and good SA speakers? (The first 3 are truely NES)

May want to outline the package a bit more too Dave as to teaching hours/hours there,holidays, responsibilities etc.

3. DavidUSA

Right.

Vacations: one week off in the first part of October, one week off in late January, all national holidays off, three days off in mid-October. Two days off per week, and those days will vary. Several extra days off in late August.

Hours: these will vary according to the time of year. Part of the year is 8 to 5 with a two-hour break for lunch.

Class length: all classes are 45 minutes long, and each class has an assistant. The maximum number of classes per week is 25. But the school only has around 50 students right now. Yes, this school is not cheap--high tuition, small classes. I would guess that one would have to teach 20 classes per week once the school gets more students, and much fewer until then.

Responsibilities: giving demo classes, teaching students who are 3 years old to 18 years old (that is wide range!), and attending some meetings and social functions (not often--once a week for thirty minutes). You will not be developing materials. This school is heavy on activities and light on homework.

Thomas English School; Haian, Nantong County, China

Wangsuda and Gor Blimey Guvnur! like this.
  4. sirchai

sirchai Well-Known Member

Would they take NNES with a lot of experience in Lieland? Serious question.

5. DavidUSA

No, not in this job, even if you spoke English just like Winston Churchill. For this school, requirment number one is that passport. But there are good jobs in other companies for NNES. There are also jobs for teaching German--NS needed. Go to China Expat | Expat China|外国人网|Guides to 41 Chinese cities - eChinacities.com to find those.

Even if you are from the US, Great Britain, or Canada, they will test your pronunciation. And pronunciation is something they know a lot about. They want standard pronunciation of North American or British English. For example, if a prospective teacher is from the deep south in the US and speaks with a drawl, then they would disqualify such an applicant.

I get the idea that standard pronunciation is generally a requirement in China. When they encounter a foreigner who speaks English, they talk about his pronunciation afterwards among themselves. One quickly becomes self-conscious about this, and so what I have done is make sure that I do not make any mistakes by looking up words on the internet. I have also learned the phonetic alphabet. To my surprise, I discovered two or three English words that I had pronounced incorrectly--probably due to regional influence in my American English.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2016
  6. sirchai

Thanks a lot, David. I'm trying to find a job where I could eventually teach both languages. I'll finish this year and try to have a few options, China included. Cheers and khop khun khrap.

DavidUSA likes this.
  7. DavidUSA

The main thing about making money as a teacher in China is this: you can make just as much money teaching on the side as you can from your normal job--but you need to be near a major city such as Shanghai, Hangzhou, Beijing, or Guangzhou. Teachers are not supposed to teach on the side, but most people do. As long as the people you work for on the side are not competing with your school, no one cares.

In your case, you could get a job teaching either German or English, and then you could teach either, or both, on the side. There are many NNES in China who are teaching English constantly. The reason English is such a big deal is that the whole family is behind the young person to do well in school and on the big entrance exams (ie. the Gaokao). Scores on those exams tend to determine one's salary for the entire future. That is why Chinese people are happy to shell out the cash for Junior to learn English well. And, of course, you have adults who are learning English or German because of their career. Those people tend to focus on improving one skill such as speaking or reading.

sirchai likes this.
  8. DavidUSA

The housing will be your own apartment, furnished. I will get the further details if anyone is seriously interested. My guess is that this job will last about another week before it is grabbed. They want to finalize a contract as soon as possible with a good applicant and get that person to China by the end of November. An applicant would probably have two Skype interviews. I recommended that they sweeten the deal, and so I would not be surprised if they raise the salary by about 4500 Baht (equivalent). One can negotiate--Chinese are used to that.

If you have a master's degree, an MA in English, or an MA in Early Childhood Education, then ask them to bump you up even more.

Whoever takes this job is going to be treated like a VIP from the moment of arrival. If I have anything to do with this hiring, then I hope that the prospective teacher is professional and decent. Something nice about working in China is the way that you are valued.

Wangsuda likes this.
  9. testtaker

testtaker Member

'we need to move fast because this job will be taken quickly.'

'My guess is that this job will last about another week before it is grabbed.'

Good for you then.

10. DavidUSA

Unfortunately, this is how it often works in China. But iif you want a good job, you might be able to grab one at the last moment. They don't always do as much planning as we do in the West.

11. sirchai

As always, great and informative. Thanks.